• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Professional Cosplayer Enako Reveals Her Lucrative Income

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
Nephry wrote:
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
So you can make substantially more cosplaying a character than an animator makes drawing said character 16+ hours a day. Interesting if not surprising and another look into how ass backwards this industry is in what it values and the return on investment in relation to actual work put forward in sustaining it.

I see your point, but unfortunately the industry would collapse if all animators were paid $90,000 every two days. Personally, I don't see a problem with cosplayers making a lot of money...their fans willingly pay them for their product, be it extra Patreon content or live appearances or photobooks. They found something they're good at and learned to make money off it--just like every other creator of content in the world. Good for them!

Granted, animators are underpaid for what they do...but comparing someone who receives a fixed salary in a niche industry to someone who receives an indeterminate amount of money from fans isn't quite fair.

In a sense you cut out the overhead or producer that would otherwise take all the money I suppose otherwise animators would be making huge bank off of things like Love Live provided there was proportional product sharing. Unfortunately the Pyramid Scheme like way in which the industry is structured with the production committee system doesn't allow animators or really anybody that isn't at the absolute top of the production chain that directly works on these things to in turn receive money directly from fans the same way a publisher can.

I just find it curious and unfortunate that working outside these industries in Japan as a 2nd party type act likely allows you to make substantially more income strictly because it's possible to actually organize the revenue stream somewhat or entirely in your favor. No doubt actual idols like the ones in AKB48 that actually put on the performances and put their lives on hold to engage in the theater of it all would be millionaires instead of just their fat cat producer. Hell I bet the average mega popular doujin artists doing work with popular franchises at Comiket makes far more in those two days than an actual industry animators that created the first party versions of those products does in an entire year and has far more manageable hours strictly because they have no overhead and get to sell their products directly to fans at whatever rate they chose again with no producer or overhead to step in take a cut and control every aspect of their work lives.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
So you can make substantially more cosplaying a character than an animator makes drawing said character 16+ hours a day. Interesting if not surprising and another look into how ass backwards this industry is in what it values and the return on investment in relation to actual work put forward in sustaining it.

I know the tone and idea behind all this interest stuff ANN reports is supposed to be sunshine and rainbows and quaint but hard not to think of it in terms of what I stated above instead.

Thats like complaining super models make more money than the people who actually made (and I don't mean designed) the clothes. It takes more people to make a product than to show it off, and aside from creative positions, the people making it are more replaceable. I mean it sucks how underpaid animators are, but until the supply drops (and they can't just outsource) there isn't really going to be an improvement.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
however her actual net profit is unknown due to factors like self-promotion and production costs that went into her recent success

Considering the costs of costumes, professional photography, marketing, travel, hair styling, makeup, etc, I'd guess it's about half, before taxes.
Nephry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
I don't want to overwhelm this forum with quotes, so to Alabaster Spectrum:
If you create the property, you kinda get to decide how much money you yourself want to make off it. That's how life works. In the end, the original creator of the property does the most legwork: they write the story, build the world and characters, and make it appealing to consumers--and then they hire animators to do the scut one person can't do alone. How, then, is it fair for someone to go to their boss and say "I'm an equal partner in this business; I designed as much of this world as you did. Give me more of the pie you baked."?

Again, it would be great if those higher up the food chain took a little bit less and gave more to their employees; I'm not saying the anime industry isn't a little messed up. But no company in the world would pay every employee at every rank equally...that's not how it works.

If there was no compensation for being in a higher position, no one would take a higher position. It's harder work than it looks like. In a higher position, you make decisions that affect people's lives. Even a simple hiring and firing can mean a difference in one person's means of living, and a good leader knows that. Positions of power send people to early graves through many nights of worry and duct-taping the seams together--it's not always just pure greed and rolling in money (though undoubtedly those types exist).

If you don't believe me, look at the Soviet Union. Tractors in the Soviet Union didn't have headlights. Why? Because no one was doing work at night. No one had any reason to work any longer than they had to because everyone (ostensibly) received the same reward. Output declined. A system like that just doesn't work.

Anyway, the point is...it's not so easy to generalize creative industry. It's more complex than many would think.
valoon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:29 am Reply with quote
Too bad this can only be achieved by females
JRPGNATION

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
valoon wrote:

Besides this not being the norm or not having the top male cosplayer earnings to compare to her earnings. Citation needed. Shocked
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
This makes me wonder how does one generate a lot of money from all that cosplay.

At Comiket, WonderFes, or similar events, a famous cosplayer can sell physical merchandise like photo albums, instant photo / polaroids, postcards, pin-up posters, wall scrolls, even life-sized pillows. Each and every item can be autographed and/or auctioned to increase value.

In addition to stage performance, they also have private (and paid) photo sessions held at photo studios or scenic locations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
As an aside on the "Cosplayer vs animator" thread:
While I agree that animators ARE underpaid, I'll point out that Cosplayers have a situation like pro athletes. The "top" ones are paid VERY well, but the rest probably the "average" is much lower. But even if you assume they're ALL making good money (let's say approx $50k+ avg) they have a very NARROW window to capitalize on that. I'm not sure when they might "start" making good money, but I'd guess 99% will be very lucky if they're still pulling good money Cosplaying once they get in the 25-30 range, and the "career" will likely be dead after 30. Idols usually have a shelf-life in that range. Early twenties is "getting old", mid 20s is "graduation time" (and usually only if you've been pretty succesful), and anyone still being some sort of idol in their late 20s is pretty exceptional.

By contrast, animators can (and do) work to a "normal" career age and beyond in some cases. 10 years of $100k/year = $1million. 40 years of $30k/year = $1.2million

Also, regarding how other jobs compare to the people that actually "make" stuff. Being able to market and sell things is a HUGE skill. I absolutely HATE sales people, but I understand WHY they make really good money. I can have the best product (say an anime) in the world, but if I can't get people to BUY it, then it doesn't matter. I'm not an industry pro, but Producers are the people that make the animators into "employed workers" rather than "unpaid hobbyists". Options like Kickstarter MIGHT start to change this, but for now, it's often tough finding the people who will pay you to do what you're good at.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
Wait a minute, I'm confused who is actually paying her at Comiket? Comiket doesn't host guests or have performances because it's a free event. It's also non-profit I believe, it only makes enough to rent the space for the circles which they charge relatively low table rates because they don't make much either.

Edit: ah saw Dormcat's post above. The article was a little misleading. So it's all from merchandise and photoshoots which Comiket itself doesn't pay for? Comiket's cosplay circle area is quite large, so she probably has a table where some lackeys sell her photobooks and other mentioned merchandise and autographed items. There's no rule at Comiket that places a limit on how much you can earn selling.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
JRPGNATION wrote:
valoon wrote:

Besides this not being the norm or not having the top male cosplayer earnings to compare to her earnings. Citation needed. Shocked
Here's another downer: There are some pretty popular female cosplayers who specialize in or exclusively cosplay male characters Laughing
JRPGNATION

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
You calling me a downer? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Eh I prefer beard chan. AKA Ladybeard.

Yes he so popular he appear in anime. This is him in the anime. Anime name is Comical Psychosomatic Medicine.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
JRPGNATION wrote:
Eh I prefer beard chan. AKA Ladybeard.

Yes he so popular he appear in anime. This is him in the anime. Anime name is Comical Psychosomatic Medicine.
Why do I feel disappointed when my eyes go to the same place in that picture that probably everybody else's eyes go?

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Here's another downer: There are some pretty popular female cosplayers who specialize in or exclusively cosplay male characters Laughing

Aaand quite a few male cosplayers who cosplay as female characters. And most of the times you won't know it. Very Happy ...
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
JRPGNATION wrote:
valoon wrote:

Quick... name a male supermodel.

(And no, Zoolander doesn't count Shocked )
JRPGNATION

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Aphasial wrote:
JRPGNATION wrote:
valoon wrote:

Quick... name a male supermodel.

(And no, Zoolander doesn't count Shocked )

What? You realize there a shit ton of them right? Also there a lot of male cosplayers too.
Did you forget we are talking about cosplay specific model work? Shocked Also their salaries. Unless you or I can find the salaries, this does nothing for both of us. Confused So give me numbers with genders being compare and done by a trusted source or we are in limbo here.

Listing why not ask who ever does answerman questions? That better than google searching for cosplay salaries. I came empty handed.
There this site about very good cosplayers but good luck telling genders apart. Embarassed
http://worldcosplay.net/
List of male cosplayers.
http://goboiano.com/list/3023-25-hottest-yaoi-cosplayers-who-will-surpass-all-your-expectations

http://goboiano.com/news/3700-would-you-believe-that-this-sexy-kotori-cosplay-is-done-by-a-guy%253F Twisted Evil

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-popular/the-worlds-14-best-male-cosplayers/

http://malecosplayers.tumblr.com/

http://orzzzz.com/top-10-best-male-cosplayers-in-the-world.html

http://www.neatorama.com/neatogeek/2014/02/12/15-Epic-Male-Cosplayers-You-Need-to-Check-Out/

http://socialnewsdaily.com/44856/5-japanese-male-cosplayers-you-need-to-follow-on-twitter/

What you thought they were rare or something? Confused I thought we were talking about male cosplay salaries vs the girls cosplay salaries. Which I can't find any info on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3