• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Cancels Subtitle-Only Subscription Plan, Reduces Monthly Rate for Regular Plan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
darkdeath174 wrote:
I'm happy it seems Crunchyroll is using Funimation's font size for their shows.

I've never been a fan of how big CR has theirs.

I am actually sad about that. My eyesight is not the best one and while I have no problem to read the subs on PC, which I watch from close proximity, I prefer to watch things on TV and that's were Funimation subs proved to be too small for me, so sadly, this is not good thing for me, since I hoped crunchyroll will start to use their font, which is more readable for me.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
@peno

It is early days yet to get upset. At this point Funimation probably simply provided Crunchyroll with a copy of their previously subtitled show. CR probably did only enough coding to adapt it to their player.

You won't be able to tell what subtitles they will use until Crunchyroll subtitles a new show actually licensed by Funimation. Even if Crunchyroll decides to redo existing subs on Funimation shows it would likely take longer than this.
shinfan64

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:
So will there be refunds or codes given for crunchyroll (depending on whether people have cr already or not)?

The email FUNi sent me said I'll get a refund for the remaining amount when they cancel my subscription in November.

I use PayPal to pay for Funimation and on Sunday PayPal sent me an email aaying that my payment had been changed from $7.95 a month to $5.99 a month , starting in October.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
I mostly use Funimation for English dubs so the fact that there lowering the dub subscription price is music to my ears. Lower Price, More Dubs. What a time to be an Anime Fan. Very Happy
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
I'll admit I haven't read every detail about this event, but I'm still unclear what will happen to Funi's back catalogue of subbed series. Will, for instance, the subtitled version of Oh! Edo Rocket now appear at Crunchyroll and the dubbed version remain at Funimation? Or will only the dubbed version be available via Funi's site? I've been watching Samurai Champloo in subs off and on with a friend. Where will that be going?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'll admit I haven't read every detail about this event, but I'm still unclear what will happen to Funi's back catalogue of subbed series. Will, for instance, the subtitled version of Oh! Edo Rocket now appear at Crunchyroll and the dubbed version remain at Funimation? Or will only the dubbed version be available via Funi's site? I've been watching Samurai Champloo in subs off and on with a friend. Where will that be going?

From what I've read, the entire Funimation subtitled back catalog will be going to Crunchyroll subject to approval by the Japanese rights holder. Where that cannot be obtained they will be retained on Funimation. I suspect the entire process will take some time.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

The plan is to move subs over to CR in groups, so it won't be the whole catalog at once. Also, some might stay depending on whether they got the ok to include that particular show as part of this agreement. I would guess that when shows are coming up on the time to switch, they'll provide some sort of heads up. At least I hope people get an idea of how long they have to watch subbed content.
Suena

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
That's dissapointing, I recently started using Funi for subs because of no commercials and a simple website design that doesn't give my laptop problems like Crunchy...

I know it's a minority opinion, but I also prefer watching on Funi. The playback isn't that bad, the SD stream looks better there than on CR, and you aren't stuck watching 100 ads on one CR video just because one ad in the middle got stuck and you have to keep refreshing it and starting over (yes, I could get a CR subscription, but I hate the "Yournamehere!" watermark they put on the videos when you watch when logged in).

Greed1914 wrote:

The plan is to move subs over to CR in groups, so it won't be the whole catalog at once. Also, some might stay depending on whether they got the ok to include that particular show as part of this agreement. I would guess that when shows are coming up on the time to switch, they'll provide some sort of heads up. At least I hope people get an idea of how long they have to watch subbed content.

I hope they start with shows that got taken down from Hulu. I was browsing through Funi's catalog about a month back, and quite a lot of their free series can't be viewed because they were Hulu embeds, and the original videos no longer exist.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
Suena wrote:
yes, I could get a CR subscription, but I hate the "Yournamehere!" watermark they put on the videos when you watch when logged in

You do know that watermark only appears for a few seconds at the beginning of the stream, right? I find it a bit annoying, too, but it's so brief that I have stopped thinking about it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
I would say that of the various streaming sites for USA/Canadian audiences, these 2 companies are the ones that cater to and communicate with fans the best. Glad I subscribe to both companies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3