• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CG Girl Saya's Realism Will Have You Doing A Double Take

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrXL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
Present Day, Present Time is finally actually the Present..
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Technology is only getting better to the point where humans will eventually be deemed obsolete. Welcome to the future. Laughing

The consensus for when the technological singularity will happen seems to be between 2035 and 2050.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
For me the stunning part is the eyes, they look like a real human's eyes, down to the unevenness between the two.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:03 am Reply with quote
With games now have very realistic graphics, I feel like any big game companies could make a super-realistic image like this if they can find a way to make profit from it. Or any cgi animation company for that matter. For being self-taught independent creators though, it's a very impressive work.
Meexa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Technology is only getting better to the point where humans will eventually be deemed obsolete. Welcome to the future. Laughing

Girls will eventually turn their drawers of adam & eve dildos into realistic organic human males.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
So they've finally climbed out of the uncanny valley when it comes to cg images.

Now, climb out of there for 3DCG animation...

Yeah, that was one of my thoughts: She definitely looks lifelife, but can she move lifelike? That's something even motion capture can't do quite so well, as evidenced by how everyone moves in The Polar Express.

This is already achievable thanks to performance capture. See James Cameron's AVATAR.

It's a combination of good modeling/3D scanning, good mo-cap tech, and also of major importance - good facial/muscular rigging, the last of which is the usual culprit and requires major work and technical knowledge.

Also the actress should behave and act normally and not be a person trying to be an animated character.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:00 am Reply with quote
Huh, I had the impression that motion capture was the basis for Avatar and that all of the movements were cleaned up and modified later on. But yeah, you're right. The Jungle Book (the 2016 one) also has pretty convincing animals.

Problem is that all of this convincing photorealism has only been found in Hollywood. Nothing else really has the budget for it.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing, the only benefit of formal teaching in my opinion is the fact that you get a piece of paper acknowledging your skill which many companies will want to see. Degrees will show that you completed a structured course that not only teaches skills but puts you in environments that prepare you for the workplace. The thing about art though is that online portfolios speak just as well and things like learning to work in the industry can also come with experience. I'm starting my second year of games design soon so I'll see if my formal education is really worth anything since it revolves heavily around 3D and I'm a 2D artist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2