• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Funimation Announce Partnership to Share Content Via Streaming, Home Video, EST

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
Also, does anyone else feel like Aniplex USA is getting left behind? I'm kind of hoping they do, so they leave the US market, and other companies can get their shows and release them with a much lower price.

Aniplex USA is completely unaffected by this, AoA pretty much only licenses/releases anime made A-1 pictures, (considering they are the parent company after all) it's pretty much how it's always been and with Aniplex getting more protective of it's titles the chance any company other then Aniplex licensing future A1 titles seems pretty much non existent.

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Potentially really great news. Lets see how things shake out. The motive definitely seems to be allying against billion dollar companies like Amazon and Netflix who see the growing market of anime and want to capitalize on it.

The problem is, as Kabaneri showed, a company like Amazon does not really know what it is doing, and does not really care about the fans at all. On the other hand, Netflix seems to have a better grasp of the anime industry (as well as countless other world markets it needs to capture in order to grow), but they are limiting themselves to a handful of series.

It still poses somewhat of a threat as the upcoming Perfect Bones indicates because Netflix can give anime producers something they never had before: complete creative freedom and a worldwide audience. They do not have to answer to production committees, they do not have to target a niche audience, and they not have to worry about insanely tight production schedules and deadlines. That level of freedom has the potential to completely change the industry and the type of anime that is made, so every other anime related company from Crunchyroll to Kadokawa will be scrambling to compete with that standard.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
brankoburcksen wrote:
Potentially really great news. Lets see how things shake out. The motive definitely seems to be allying against billion dollar companies like Amazon and Netflix who see the growing market of anime and want to capitalize on it.

The problem is, as Kabaneri showed, a company like Amazon does not really know what it is doing, and does not really care about the fans at all. On the other hand, Netflix seems to have a better grasp of the anime industry (as well as countless other world markets it needs to capture in order to grow), but they are limiting themselves to a handful of series.

Just going by number of revs; on amzn id say tons of people watched it there. I dont know what more you were expect of amzn though, its not like they even put out home disc releases of their own amzn studios made shows or give their own shows tons of advertising (beyond big ones like transparent and that one other one).

Netflix seems questionable to say they are caring more for fans, arent many of their shows, only added after its already done airing in JPN? Id rather have amzn's weekly simulcast, then waiting more than 12 weeks for the show, unexplainable even when netflix waits until the whole show has aired and puts it up as sub only...
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much the only dubs Crunchyroll had were dubbed by other licensors, especially Aniplex USA but also some older titles already on disc. I can't imagine that this will change the dubbing situation for such shows. It will affect first run streams that have not been licensed yet. CR already serves as a default or secondary streaming platform for many licensors, especially those that try to make profits off home video in the Japanese way. (Ponycan, Aniplex, et al.)

As noted, it's most likely a reaction to Netflix and Amazon (see Noitamina deal) than anything. I wonder what effect on prices it will have, and whether subscribers to both will drop one.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
Yup. Funimation will be dub-only now. If you want subs, you go to CR.

But does this mean that CR won't show the dubs?

Up to now, thought this was the best of both worlds--Funi's selection of trending titles, with CR's streaming app that actually works.
At least of those dubs that aren't currently playing on HuluPlus.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
There's only one thing I want: FUNI, STOP USING HARDSUBS!!!

endallchaos wrote:
Also, does anyone else feel like Aniplex USA is getting left behind? I'm kind of hoping they do, so they leave the US market, and other companies can get their shows and release them with a much lower price.

No. Aniplex USA serves a completely different market then the people who watch streaming anime: the hard core collectors. The CR-FUNI partnrship is of no relevance to Aniplex, since they OWN the shows they publish.
Mogtaki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't say what the reduced price for Funimation will be on the Crunchyroll side but Funimation says it'll be £4.99 for the UK eventually (can't see the US or EU price because automatic redirecting on Funimation's website). It was £6.99.

Seems pretty good, I mean...it could be a little less since it's mostly just dubs now, but ehh.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Mogtaki wrote:
It doesn't say what the reduced price for Funimation will be on the Crunchyroll side but Funimation says it'll be £4.99 for the UK eventually (can't see the US or EU price because automatic redirecting on Funimation's website). It was £6.99.

Seems pretty good, I mean...it could be a little less since it's mostly just dubs now, but ehh.

Funimation also indicated on its site that they will be eliminating the subbed-only subscription that they were doing. That isn't too surprising since if they continued with that, then all of those viewers would just be on CR and the primary goal seems to be free migration of subscribers.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Hold on I just though, if Funimation have
Quote:
Funimation has already expanded its budget for its dub production operation in order to meet the increased dub workload
Does that mean they are planing to dub practically every new show that is simulcast on CR, because that would be pretty stupid financially. As it currently stands you judge based on viewership what shows to dub, but if they are going to dub so many titles before hand, won't they just waste a ton of money on duds. That was how the market collapsed before, publishers buying rights to tons of shows and flooding the market with titles that no one brought.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
There's only one thing I want: FUNI, STOP USING HARDSUBS!!!

I guess moving their entire sub catalog to Crunchyroll is what FUNimation meant when they were working on soft subs.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
Funimation has already expanded its budget for its dub production operation in order to meet the increased dub workload
Does that mean they are planing to dub practically every new show that is simulcast on CR, because that would be pretty stupid financially. As it currently stands you judge based on viewership what shows to dub, but if they are going to dub so many titles before hand, won't they just waste a ton of money on duds. That was how the market collapsed before, publishers buying rights to tons of shows and flooding the market with titles that no one brought.

They did say that the two companies are having/will have weekly meetings basically to figure out what is worth dubbing or worth licensing in the first place, so it seems like they are being careful about it, and even Funimation has gone the route of doing some sub-only discs. Also, if CR is going to be shouldering the burden where the subs are concerned, I would guess that a fair portion of that expanded dub budget came from not needing to do subs for the time being.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
So all those dub announcements that CR made at AnimeExpo are basically going to Funi?

Someone said earlier that this make Sentai's job a little harder in the license game. Include Viz too. It just feels like a mini monopoly that might look bad in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
niastyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I can't control the giddiness! I'm soo excited! This is the best news I've had all week. I'm especially happy about the english dubs of some of my favorite Crunchyroll titles like Berserk, 91 Days, and Orange.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I was just talking with someone about this yesterday, although I figured Funimation would actually buy them out. Crunchyroll has a great streaming site, but no real distribution channels, whereas, Funimation has great distribution, but has a mediocre streaming service (although I do like their simulcast dubs). I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon and Netflix also get involved at some point.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

They did say that the two companies are having/will have weekly meetings basically to figure out what is worth dubbing or worth licensing in the first place, so it seems like they are being careful about it, and even Funimation has gone the route of doing some sub-only discs. Also, if CR is going to be shouldering the burden where the subs are concerned, I would guess that a fair portion of that expanded dub budget came from not needing to do subs for the time being.

Also I'd wager the current success of the industry has a large part to do with the lessons learned from the past. While no one is immune from past mistake, ADV/others was very deep in the red when it happened and a magnitude of other things hit at the same time. Plus the industry lived off and required sales of DVD's with no streaming to support it. If things starts to lose money I truly doubt Funi or Crunchy would ever let it get anywhere near the point of doom.

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13