• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Osamu Akimoto's Kochikame Manga Ends on September 17 After 40 Years of Serialization

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's crazy. Kochikame has always been a constant. Surreal to see it go.

For those who don't know, Kochikame actually currently holds the record for the manga series with the most volumes, with 200. A manga called Dokaben is in second with 193 volumes, and Golgo 13 is third with 181 volumes.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
#Foreverfizz8 wrote:
A lot of you don't seem to completely get what's going on. A bunch of series are ending in Jump because of some new guy in charge of the magazine. Stuff like Jojo's or Hajime won't end yet because they're not or are no longer in weekly shounen jump. Jojo is in Ultra Jump, and Hajime no Ippo is in some completely different mag I can't recall atm.

Anywho, it's crazy to see this one go. I was going to start it next year, but now I'm not sure. I hope Shokugeki isn't the next to go.

Ippo's in Shonen Sunday which has several titles that are long running such as this one and Conan. I think Kindaichi's still ongoing too.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
#Foreverfizz8 wrote:
A lot of you don't seem to completely get what's going on. A bunch of series are ending in Jump because of some new guy in charge of the magazine.

Who's uncle at Nintendo who's best buds with somebody at Shueisha told you this?
AkaRed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:
Kurohei wrote:
Whoa... I've never read this Manga before, but I have heard of it, and how it's been ongoing for a very long time. The idea of a manga going on for forty years finally coming to an end must seem like a huge achievement for the author. Hats off to you.

Now, for manga like Berserk and Detective Conan going on for another twenty years really makes me nervous...

Berserk may end rather sooner than later as Guts' party have landed safely in Elfheim and the newest chapter they met the King(Queen?). Conan should've ended a long time ago as the author is just BS'ing so he can still make a buck off of it.

And I am sitting here waiting for Bastard!! to return in monthly release *cry in french*
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Wandering: I'm looking at Dokaben, and it's kinda on-and-off. But yeah, forgot about Ippo. And Detective Conan.

Ziko: The new Berserk anime is weak, but the manga's the seinen equivalent of Hunter
x Hunter, in terms of sales. So I doubt it's ending soon.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
Whoa... I've never read this Manga before, but I have heard of it, and how it's been ongoing for a very long time. The idea of a manga going on for forty years finally coming to an end must seem like a huge achievement for the author. Hats off to you.

Now, for manga like Berserk and Detective Conan going on for another twenty years really makes me nervous...

Not just 40 years, but 40 years as a weekly series. I don't know of any other manga that has gone on weekly for this long.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow. All of Jump's titles are ending, and here I was thinking that Kochikame was going to outlive One Piece. AssClass, Nisekoi, Bleach, and now this? Here's hoping it has a good ending - and that My Hero Academia will eventually reach the heights of the Big Three.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
#Foreverfizz8 wrote:
A lot of you don't seem to completely get what's going on. A bunch of series are ending in Jump because of some new guy in charge of the magazine.

Please don't start that "conspiracy" nonsense.

Akimoto wanted to end Kochikame because he wants to start a new series. It's not that hard to grasp.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
People here are forgetting or not even known, Cooking Papa, a slice of life and cooking manga that is published in Morning (Same magazine of Vagabond) since 1984 and has 137 volumes released until now, is even older than Hajime and Jojo.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
Kochikame came in the jump arround 1975-1980 at this time Masami Kurumada started Ring no Kakero, Kazuo Ōhei started Space Pirate Cobra, Yudetamago started Kinnikuman and Akira Toriyama started DrSlump.

That was actually Buichi Terasawa who wrote and illustrated Cobra.

Anyway, this is actually a big moment for manga. Kochikame is one of the cornerstones of Japanese pop culture. It has remained relevant for all these 40 years, during much of which many of us on ANN weren't even thought of. It's interesting that it also comes on the heels of other huge manga ending, although much more recent ones.

I'm actually surprised that it ended so suddenly, though not that Akimoto is starting a new series instead of retiring; he's not that old. It's entirely possible that the new suit at Jump is cutting series. Who knows.
Tropical Blitz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Akimoto and hopefully his new manga goes on for as long Kochikami did. This is a milestone for him and given how much the series had been a stable in the magazine, it is a little sad seeing it go.

Going to feel weird not having any more Kochikami anniversaries for sure.

#Foreverfizz8 wrote:

Well, guess the cat is out of the bag now. You heard it right folks, Heishi Yoshihisa, the "some guy" who apparently got to be in charge of the magazine somehow (seems the other guy stepped down or something and he was chosen, I dunno) is finally putting his diabolical plan into action! He's finally going to end all these manga in Jump for reasons yet to be revealed!

Of course, this is ignoring that this year we had less series ending in Weekly Shonen Jump this year compared to previous years under his tenure, which is close to half a decade now. And people probably didn't notice the crazy turn over of new manga because not many people pay much attention to more than one manga series in Jump, ignoring that the magazine had more cancellations and conclusions than this year in the past.

And also that Akimoto said clearly in the interview he did that he's ending the manga by his decision.

But hey, why let facts and logic get in the way of a good old conspiracy theory? Sure, the Editor in Cheif had been ending like 10+ manga a year for the past 5 years, but we all just noticed it now! Some stop the mad man! Rolling Eyes
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
it's a Shonen Jump killing spree this year, either Toriko or Gintama are next.
Tropical Blitz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
it's a Shonen Jump killing spree this year, either Toriko or Gintama are next.

Number of series that concluded this year: 6

Number of series that concluded in 2015: 13

Number of series that concluded in 2014: 10

Some "killing spree" this is. Even with Gintama or Toriko ending, it still falls short of the last years manga that came to an end.

Kind of shocking how little people know of how many manga Jump eats in a single year.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
It had a long run but all things to end come to end at some point. Good luck to the manga-ka's next projects.
A Man named RJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote
We're watching a whole new generation of mangaka grow and become their own. Kochikame is a manga from the era of Barefoot Gen, Dr Slump, and Kinnikuman. Since I never read it I would feel sad, but honestly with 200 volumes to collect, im sure there was no story left unturned.

So the new Manga Generation in jump consists of
My hero Academia
World Trigger,
Food Wars
And a couple of series I don't read but hear are popular. And no, HxH doesnt exactly count.

With One Piece to maintain the status quo for Jump. Looks like the series that ended the 90's dark era may very well be it's final pillar for what I dub, the "Millennial Manga" (Late 90's to early 2010s) or even better - "The Heisei Heroes"

Know what series needs the can? Hunter x Hunter, If Togashi cant finish a story, then he needs to move to a monthly anthology format, or get his series dropped (or at least threatened) so he can find ways to get his shit in gear. A month to draw 30-40 pages is much better than a week to draw 14-16.(Which puts you roughly at 60 pages)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4