• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School: Future Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
I felt the same until about half way in, when I realized it was a filler episode.

I guess I don't understand what makes something a filler episode, then. In my mind, it was - at worst - a "side story" episode, which was appropriate, since it featured characters from a "side story" game. Wouldn't you be disappointed if the anime didn't show what they were up to?
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
I expected a filler episode to some extent, I just feel like the episode as a whole was rather underwhelming. It was pretty clear that Monaka wasn't really the mastermind, but to have so little impact on the story is disappointing, if only because we never really got to see her properly emulate Junko. I know that was kind of the point, but it still felt a bit cheap.

I feel the same. I guess it was that so much happened at once but nothing at all at the same time by the end of it. I'm only disappointed because in conjunction with that the Despair ep this week wasn't that great for me. Sad
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I guess I don't understand what makes something a filler episode, then. In my mind, it was - at worst - a "side story" episode, which was appropriate, since it featured characters from a "side story" game. Wouldn't you be disappointed if the anime didn't show what they were up to?

Whispers: spoiler[I've never actually played the games because I don't own a Vita. Anime cry] So maybe for fans of that game it was a nice little easter egg. But I felt cheated when I realized it took the whole episode for the Future Foundation to reach Naegi and Munakata to reach Kirigiri (who hasn't really done that much recently either).
Renasviel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
I felt the same until about half way in, when I realized it was a filler episode.

I think it's dependent on the series, honestly. In this case, it wasn't really relevant at all to the central conflict of the show, and given that we have a small number of episodes and quite a lot to go through, it did feel like an episode placed in there to make way for a faster pace for the remaining episodes, which would make it "filler". I'm not of the opinion that filler is inherently bad, and to be fair to the episode it seems worse because of the cliffhanger episode 6 left us on. I actually appreciated the nods they gave to the game, my disappointment mainly stems from the execution of it. Overall though, I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed the despair episode, I just wish if nothing else Monaka was handled better. I still laughed, mind, which i suppose is what really matters.
Vannil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
P.S.: Two dollars that if Monoca doesn't come back, it's basically foreshadowing of some kind to that new Danganronpa game that will come out.

actually there is a 3rd/4th game coming out
ANN wrote about it twice last year:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-11-30/new-danganronpa-v3-game-1st-screenshots-revealed/.95942
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-02/new-danganronpa-v3-game-previewed-in-promo-video/.96008
it just doesn't feature anyone from the previous games sans monkuma.

edit: sorry,I misread what you said, sorry about that.

Last edited by Vannil on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed that UDG's narrative has seemingly mattered little in the grand scheme of things, but I was laughing too hard to get too upset by it.

In hindsight, Monaca just giving up entirely should be expected. Her entire plan in Ultra Despair Girls revolved around making Komaru the next Junko. Monaca tries to imitate Junko to an extent, but she never had any desire of taking on the role of Junko 2.0 herself. She really just went along with Nagito's idea because her initial plan failed, and she didn't seem particularly thrilled about it when Nagito told her. Her involvement in this game really just amounts to her tagging along for the ride for shits and giggles, and buggering off to space without a fight when she's found out. She clearly wasn't that invested in the game enough to play a huge part in it's setup. I'm not really sure how she supposedly killed the real Gekkogahara though if she never left Towa City.

In a way however, I guess you can say Nagito's plan succeeded. Monaca did indeed become more like Junko than Junko herself. Junko grew bored of normalcy and wanted despair. Monaca took it one step further, growing bored of despair and pretty much the entire plot, becoming nothing more than a lazy space NEET who probably shitposts on 2chan daily.

Between mocking the series' central conflict and ultimately getting away with everything she did without an ounce of karma, Monaca realized the only way to win Danganronpa is to stop playing Danganronpa.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
To UDG´s credit that game did something right and that is giving the franchise much needed world building, the existing of towa city makes the financial viability and technological support of junko´s plan way more believable.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
On a side note, everyone is jumping into pointing out how the suppoused target is kyouko but let's remember monaka said a survivor of junko´s "killing game" but she didn´t say which game for instance in the latest despeair arc episode we just witnes yet another of her killing game and not everyone was killed on camera mind you. plus on that game there was suppoused to be a "winner", when the implied last man standing faced izuru the later didn't say he was intending on attacking him nor that the game was already over nor that he was going to kill the winner anyways

There is also the cast of the second game to whom munakata send an extermination squad. I can imagina makoto not being able to deal with theird deaths very well, so monaka might as well have been refering to them
Vannil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
On a side note, everyone is jumping into pointing out how the suppoused target is kyouko but let's remember monaka said a survivor of junko´s "killing game" but she didn´t say which game for instance in the latest despeair arc episode we just witnes yet another of her killing game and not everyone was killed on camera mind you. plus on that game there was suppoused to be a "winner", when the implied last man standing faced izuru the later didn't say he was intending on attacking him nor that the game was already over nor that he was going to kill the winner anyways

There is also the cast of the second game to whom munakata send an extermination squad. I can imagina makoto not being able to deal with theird deaths very well, so monaka might as well have been refering to them

the only survivor spoiler[the student council president], was killed later on if danganronpa zero novel is canon

I've jumped off the bandwagon after getting on after watching the despair arc episode this week because of certain events that could prevent Kyoo's death.
Now, I'm thinking that makoto could be the one who will be killed because of the three requirements that have been said/ referenced. 1)monokuma also saying it was the ultimate battle between hope(makoto) and despair (the person running the game). 2)monokuma directly says it was the "conclusion of both of your story and mine" meaning the person running the gameand makoto himself 3) monoca already said a survivor of the second killing game (makoto's group) would be killed, fulfilling that requirement

I won't completely discount your theory because it brings an interesting idea of the current status of the remnants of despair since the survivors of the second game stayed behind to bring them out of their coma and if they were able to be reverted to pre tragedy selves
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:

Now, I'm thinking that makoto could be the one who will be killed because of the three requirements that have been said/ referenced. 1)monokuma also saying it was the ultimate battle between hope(makoto) and despair (the person running the game). 2)monokuma directly says it was the "conclusion of both of your story and mine" meaning the person running the gameand makoto himself 3) monoca already said a survivor of the second killing game (makoto's group) would be killed, fulfilling that requirement

I won't completely discount your theory because it brings an interesting idea of the current status of the remnants of despair since the survivors of the second game stayed behind to bring them out of their coma and if they were able to be reverted to pre tragedy selves

Don't forget there is still plenty of episodes left on the despair arc so there might have been yet another killing game or two we dont know of as of yet. for instance a wild guest of mine which would do for an ok plot twist. spoiler[on the despair arc Junko's next step is to cause the reserve course students to comit mass suicide, it has been implied that she is going to use mitarai's anime to hipnotize them into doing so, seeing how sakakura has been shown still in the security guard and somewhat concerned about the situation, what if she makes a killing game in which sakakura has to make the students watch such video in order to save himself Saw style, then whoever is the mastermind this time might be blackmailling him into being an acomplice and now munakata after being told by tengen is going to kill him fulfilling monaca´s words]

there is also the issue of the real chiaki´s status being unknown at the moment so she might have participated or not (then survived or not) in yet another killing game
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:18 am Reply with quote
*sigh* You know series, just because you let obvious that a plot event or development is going to happen, doing it as soon as possible without more thought doesn't make it suddenly "good because it wasn't revealed too late", it still makes your plot predictable and without even any decent buildup to make it have any weight. So showing us in the previous episode Kizakura's promise to already finish him off in this one feels lazy, and he doesn't even have a more decent emotional core or substance like when Kimura and Ando fought each other, it just feels like a cliche done for the sake of doing it. That combined with the tone-deaf execution, all that felt really weak and I couldn't care less. Same with Ando and her being Iyazoi's killer (which as I said it's obvious with her reaction to his death, and honestly I don't like how it reduces her character to a simple punching bag), or even Juuzo's appearance that brought no tension whatsoever when he appeared (again, execution, please care).

Oh wells, I guess because they dropped the Kizakura card early, now we don't necessarily know whether Kyoko will be the survivor Monoca said will be killed off or not, and now that we know Byakuya and Hiro are there too dealing with other stuff outside, we can take them into more consideration. Aside of that, I'm also tired of all the fighting in this series, not only because it's weak but because this is not the kind of series where you look for something like that (I know the main characters barely fight, but still), it's like I'm being sold a different thing. And Juuzo's flashback about something we'll see in a Despair Arc episode means either he's the culprit (Junko, conflicting relationship with Munakata, killing everyone with knifes) or a red herring (too obvious suspect in a show that loves twists and anticlimaxes, the framing of him and Ando at the end of the episode that puts them into a simple-minded level).

Still curious about some things (mostly about the point of all that, Ryota and whatever is happening with the Remnants of Despair), but I can safely say I'm underwhelmed with both series, especially Future Arc, and while most of it will depend on the resolution the journey sure wasn't very enjoyable.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
Wait... there's been new episodes!? I use the Funimation app on PS4 and it didn't update with either Danganronpa episodes this week in my queue or on the Newly added page, so I thought maybe it was on hiatus for a week or something... Crying or Very sad It updated Cheer Boys and Show By Rock...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VicFrank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
I have to say, I disagree quite strongly on Ruruka's story, I think it works perfectly with what we knew about her.

First off, Ruruka is incredibly insecure. Now that we know her candies were drugged, it puts her previous comments about how she "won't trust people who won't eat my candy" in a new context. She can only trust people who she can guarantee she has control over, including Izayoi. It's even consistent with her character to kill people over this! Face mask girl was in the exact same situation as Izayoi, namely that eating Ruruka's candy would *literally kill her* and Ruruka still insisted that she eat it.

I also interpreted the sequence of events differently. I don't think Ruruka knew about Izayoi's Forbidden Action (and vice versa) as it was already established that they don't trust each other enough to talk about it. So Izayoi didn't do anything beyond refuse to eat her candy, which terrified Ruruka, so she tried to force feed him some. And Ruruka couldn't rust Izayoi, because he wasn't eating the candy, so instead of explaining her Forbidden Action, she just tried to control him. This fits quite well into what we know about Ruruka, as her many, many flaws come together to tragically kill her two closest friends. My only complaint with this sequences is that Izayoi never gets a chance to be fleshed out as a character.

Also, Sakakura quite plainly uses the pain of pulling a pipe out of his body to regain control of his senses, which is pretty cool.
Vannil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
i actually did read a theory as to why aoi was the "mole" stating the fact that the guy with the mask was killed to limit makoto's allies and since monaca/ robo- girl would know who the killer is as they would have seen the mask guy get killed in a closed room situation and staged aoi to look like she was stabbed to tell her that she knows she is the killer. which could be why munakata is pursing them not because of makoto, but because of aoi.
the theory then goes into crazy territory, but aoi as the killer could make sense seeing as she has been with makoto almost the entire time.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
i actually did read a theory as to why aoi was the "mole" stating the fact that the guy with the mask was killed to limit makoto's allies and since monaca/ robo- girl would know who the killer is as they would have seen the mask guy get killed in a closed room situation and staged aoi to look like she was stabbed to tell her that she knows she is the killer. which could be why munakata is pursing them not because of makoto, but because of aoi.
the theory then goes into crazy territory, but aoi as the killer could make sense seeing as she has been with makoto almost the entire time.

But those facts are contradictory, If Aoi was the one who killed gozu that means she doesn't become unconscious because of the bracelet, thus there wouldn't be a chance for monaka to pull her joke since a completely conscious asahina wouldn't just sit there and take it. even if for some reason she decided to sleep the rest of the time to make her waking up more realistic that would be regular napping and would let her easily wake up when feeling her shit getting wet (because of the fake blood), aside all the noise and movement robot-gekogahara would need to make to get infront of her
Vannil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But those facts are contradictory, If Aoi was the one who killed gozu that means she doesn't become unconscious because of the bracelet, thus there wouldn't be a chance for monaka to pull her joke since a completely conscious asahina wouldn't just sit there and take it. even if for some reason she decided to sleep the rest of the time to make her waking up more realistic that would be regular napping and would let her easily wake up when feeling her shit getting wet (because of the fake blood), aside all the noise and movement robot-gekogahara would need to make to get infront of her

The rules say that the killer also gets put asleep after they have killed or failed to kill someone after a certain amount of time. While I don't personally believe this theory (i think its someone not currently in the killing game), Aoi has shown the capability to kill in the first game. I was merely pointing out a theory that i had heard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12