• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love Live! Sunshine!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bhl88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm now hoping for Nico or Hanayo (idol otaku) or Honoka to comfort Chika or so.

Anyway for Aquors to succeed, I guess they are referring to its real life success.... hopefully they don't copy real life too much.

For Muse:
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
synaia wrote:
You can actually buy the Tshirt she's wearing if you live in Japan. (They release a memorial item each time an episode ends)

These items have been pretty fun to watch as they come out (I'm seeing them on the Twitter feed for Dengeki G's magazine). For episode 6, the item was an Aquors lantern:

This is amazing...!!! And makes me wish I lived in Japan, just long enough to buy some of this Aqours swag. Anime hyper
Harima

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
There you go ! They got what's coming to them !

Instead of wasting their time on this Idol nonsense, why can't the members just start their own comedy troupe ?!!

They can form a manzai or Rakugou group for example and go perform live acts across the country. They don't even need to practice their acts since comedy comes so naturally to them. They would become famous in no time.

On another note, I was expecting some acrobatic action from Ria during the performance of Saint Snow but that never happened ! That girl then had the audacity to say that “Live Live is not a game !”. No my dear Ria, It IS a game and all of you are fooling around so go back home and start doing some homework for a change ! After all, we don't want you to end like this if you take it too seriously Very Happy
synaia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
invalidname wrote:
synaia wrote:
You can actually buy the Tshirt she's wearing if you live in Japan. (They release a memorial item each time an episode ends)

These items have been pretty fun to watch as they come out (I'm seeing them on the Twitter feed for Dengeki G's magazine). For episode 6, the item was an Aquors lantern:

This is amazing...!!! And makes me wish I lived in Japan, just long enough to buy some of this Aqours swag. Anime hyper

Yeah same. I also like this episode's memorial item. http://puu.sh/qIxRZ.jpg
Muffum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I've been pretty consistently enjoying the series up to this point, but this episode was really the kind of status quo shake-up I was waiting for. Not only did it confirm that the group's tirelessly following in µ's footsteps was ultimately building up to something, but the fallout from their failure was handled really well. The way each character reacted resonated emotionally in their own way, with Chika's futile attempts to keep a brave face in particular hitting really hard.

I think the idea of µ's never facing any significant hardships in their idol career in and of itself is part of why I've thought the drama in Sunshine has been done so much better. In the original, it felt to me that any significant obstacles µ's faced were ultimately tangential to their pursuits, and thus the significant amount of the series they took up felt unearned. Meanwhile, a lot of the drama with Aquors is them simply worrying or realizing that they're not good enough in their pursuits, which I find significantly more relatable.

If there's anything that worries me about the series at this point, it's the possibility that there won't be enough episodes left to both recruit the rest of their members and give them a significant victory that feels earned. I'd be surprised if there isn't a second season later down the line, but I'm more concerned with this season going out on a high note, both in mood and in quality.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
Yeah same. I also like this episode's memorial item. http://puu.sh/qIxRZ.jpg

Yeah, nice. The corresponding tweet from Dengeki G's describes it as a towel for wiping away bitter tears.

This episode really turned around the series for me (conditional on what follows, of course), because it made the frustrating fixation with µ's have a point: like Bamboo said, Aquors is going to have a much more difficult road to success than their predecessors.

Actually, my first thought was: "So, basically, Love Live Sunshine is turning into Wake Up Girls with better animation? I'm OK with this." I always liked that WUG was a more downbeat, grittier idol show, and it'll be better for Sunshine if success doesn't come easy.

Way too much to unpack in this episode for a normal-length article… Bamboo didn't even have room to cover the wildly soap-operatic scene with Kanan and Mari. Have we been shipping these two? Should we start? And what's with the reference in the flashback about saving the school from shutting down? Is every school in Japan always one failed idol concert away from closing?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Aqours' failure was inevitable, but the build up was worth it. Considering a much long road ahead for the girls, I too believe there will be a S2 some time next year as well.

On a side note, did anyone else get Babymetal vibes when St. Snow performed? It's probably the closest thing of an animated version of them.

invalidname wrote:
And what's with the reference in the flashback about saving the school from shutting down? Is every school in Japan always one failed idol concert away from closing?

Japan's education system must be in one hell of a sorry state if they rely on school idols as a crutch. Laughing
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Lol, I guess that means that 7236 schools are on the verge on shutting down.

Episode hachi is just what the doctor ordered. Aqours is officially off Love Life Support. Let's hope that Aqours and the script can continue to wean itself from Muse.

Last discombobulated thoughts: Chikariko, Kanamari, Hanaruby, Youhane...and Dia. Placing monopoly money bets now. Any takers?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
On a side note, did anyone else get Babymetal vibes when St. Snow performed? It's probably the closest thing of an animated version of them.

I didn't when I watched it the first time, but after you said that, watching it again, I definitely do. That may be why theirs was one of if not the best performance in the series (both Sunshine and the original) for me at least. I may be mistaken but was St. Snow's performance traditionally animated? If it wasn't it may have been the lighting hiding the CG well, but either way they did a damn good job animating that sequence even if it was cut short with a still at the end of it. I was slightly disappointed that lackey-chan didn't do a flip like she did after they first met Aquors.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:28 am Reply with quote
seems like Love Live has gotten so competitive that the school idols are forgetting to have fun like Muse and Arise did.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:43 am Reply with quote
I too echo the thoughts that this was a great kind of build up, that Sunshine was kind of playing the long game into knowingly get to this positions of failure and what the strength of still going would mean.

Muse also kind of failed the first time. They were not able to play in the competition, but they still managed to get something even if they were not able to compete at the top of the series namesake. It would figure growth was kind of important. Although it was kind of easy to think that the series had forgotten that with all their references to the first two seasons.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:03 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

I didn't when I watched it the first time, but after you said that, watching it again, I definitely do. That may be why theirs was one of if not the best performance in the series (both Sunshine and the original) for me at least. I may be mistaken but was St. Snow's performance traditionally animated? If it wasn't it may have been the lighting hiding the CG well, but either way they did a damn good job animating that sequence even if it was cut short with a still at the end of it. I was slightly disappointed that lackey-chan didn't do a flip like she did after they first met Aquors.

Yeah, St. Snow's whole performance was entirely 2D. Seems to be a tradition for introducing rival teams that far outshine the main cast's performance, since A-Rise never had to deal with any 3DCG either Laughing
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:48 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Yeah, St. Snow's whole performance was entirely 2D. Seems to be a tradition for introducing rival teams that far outshine the main cast's performance, since A-Rise never had to deal with any 3DCG either Laughing

Well there is a difference between animating 2-3 characters compared to the whole group of the main characters.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
TheRahi00 wrote:
lossthief wrote:

Well there is a difference between animating 2-3 characters compared to the whole group of the main characters.

I think for both St Snow and A-RISE their routines would be difficult to capture in CG well in addition to the smaller number of members making easier.

@lossthief I noticed that to when I rewatched A-RISE's for reference.
鳳凰の王

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
As they say in another show -- Re:ゼロから始めるアイドル生活

On another note, You never did receive any character development. Is it because she's already the most popular one by default, so no need for character development to improve it further?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 16