• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2017 Godzilla Anime Film Penned by Gen Urobuchi, Animated by Polygon Pictures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Never been a fan of Kaiju stuff, Godzilla, Kamen rider, or any of those things that Urobuchi grew up with and obviously loves to death, so this is a little bit of a bummer for me personally. But that's okay, maybe someday he'll make a return to making full length 2D animated TV shows. Just as long as he has full creative control over it, that's all I really want. No more Aldnoah's or Gunslinger Stratos's.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I never thought I'd see the day.

The day when I would see a Godzilla finally getting an anime in some form or another.

Kinda makes you wonder why now?
Akmal Muhammad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Dream team right here. Toho is on a roll
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Hmmmm...I predict a complex & deep story that will be the most thoughtful allegory for nuclear war & Japan's current political situation ever animated. It will be about Godzilla eating little girls.

In the end, Godzilla will turn out to be a little girl himself. The whole thing will be very subtle.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
Everyone was stunned by the name Urobuchi, but Shizuno is the highlight for me here. Good luck!
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Awesome! I always hoped that one day we would get a Godzilla Anime in one way or another and it looks like we're going to get an Anime film coming out in 2017. Well I for one sure as hell can wait. Very Happy
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
Time for an overly big deal to be made about the writer and attributing things to the movie that he probably isn't going to do with the script and hasn't for anything he's worked on in a while. It's funny how many people claim to hang on this guys every word but don't seem to have ever bothered to learn anything about him or observed what makes him take. The guy likes big 80's style bombast and zany storyline's, particularly if they have a long standing tradition in some regard. I'd liken him to a Tom Clancy as opposed to a highbrow George Orwell type scriptwriter or whatever it is people attribute to him because of a couple shows he did at the top of the decade.

Haven't watched a Godzilla since Final Wars myself. I find the lot of them that I've tried to watch immensely boring. First one will forever remain a classic though.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Time for an overly big deal to be made about the writer and attributing things to the movie that he probably isn't going to do with the script and hasn't for anything he's worked on in a while.

Sure, but if you can't laugh at the idea of Godzilla as a pathos-laden magical girl, what can you laugh at?
Sam1198777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
>sees a topic on /a/ about Urobuchi tweeting he's working on a Goji movie
>thinks it is a joke
>comes here
>it's real

The guy that made a terrible magic girl anime with one of the worst anime casts ever and that awful Fate/Stay Night prequel is making a Godzilla movie.... Well Blassreiter was okay and if Gargantia is any indication it'll at least look pretty, but unlike Anno (who I know makes good stuff consistently) I am far from confident this will work.
Quote:
I have ZERO interest in Godzilla and have never seen it, King Kong, or any other big Monster Movie.

You are missing out on life, monster movies are a way of it. Cool

Even though Urobutcher isnt exactly the most innovative guy around, seems like you're being a little too harsh.

Fate/Zero was NOT awful, it was a masterpiece.

Also, Gargantia was animated by prod IG while this is by polygon pictures, so its probably going to be nowhere as pretty, and the chances of us receiving jarring CG are pretty darn high. The studio is probably the worst part of this news.

[Edit]: removed insult. Don't let yourself be trolled. Errinundra.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
Awesome, a Godzilla anime! And it's made by... Polygon... crap...

I'll probably still watch it because I love Godzilla, but I have yet to like anything that Polygon has put out, their animation is incredibly unappealing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Time for an overly big deal to be made about the writer and attributing things to the movie that he probably isn't going to do with the script and hasn't for anything he's worked on in a while.

Sure, but if you can't laugh at the idea of Godzilla as a pathos-laden magical girl, what can you laugh at?

Cause that's clearly not what's going to happen and no matter how much people try to push it one series does not define the guy. He even makes reference on twitter occasionally to how it kind of seems to bother him that people view him that way when he identifies more with things like Tokusatsu series, Gundam and Gunslinger Stratos. Honestly I think the guy actually just wants to write for stuff he likes but people keep blowing up these crazy expectations and legends about him that he finds kind of entertaining (or at least did at one point) but at the same time like a chain of expectations around his neck that he's not particularly interested in fulfilling. Maybe on day he'll write a Leonard Nimoy type memoir and give a title like "I Am Not Urobutcher".

To put it another way it's like how people insisted Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans would be about teen romance and NTR or whatever when Mari Okada was announced to be doing the series composition except that's not what happened at all because that's a stupid notion born out of ignorance that somebody would just hand over all decision making for their flagship franchise to a single person that is literally working on their first entry in it. Same deal, whenever these kinds of prolific writer people are announced people treat them like they're there as project managers and plan to completely reinvent a genre or classic franchise forever when they're literally just their to write scripts and work as part of a team...as in they involve more than one person's input and ideas even if it can just be overruled by some production committee's whims which has happened to Urobuchi multiple times like it has to any writer.

By the way what you wrote there doesn't really seem like the kind of thing he would write about. I see him more as just trying to write a lot of cool city destroying stuff and people getting immolated by Godzilla, possibly with some camp value. The approach you described seems more like something that Hollywood Godzilla would try to do.

Saku-dono wrote:
Everyone was stunned by the name Urobuchi, but Shizuno is the highlight for me here. Good luck!

Yeah he's a good director with arguably more hits of varying types of works than anybody else on board with this. Personally I find Polygon Pictures to be one of the more interesting things to happen to the anime scene recently as they really don't seem to subscribe to the whole modernized stale light novel centric vision of what can be done with animation. Sure they only do CGI but these days I'll take that over 2D animation of just more of the same old popular light novel fare.

Spawn29 wrote:
Gen Urobuchi also wrote Kamen Rider Gaim. It would be funny if we got Godzilla related merchandise for Kamen Rider Gaim to promote the film since Bandai owns both franchises.

While his strong affiliation with Bandai and their associates from ACJ outside of Nitroplus is noted they don't own the rights to the Godzilla property, just the merchandise and game rights. Toho owns the character and film rights to Godzilla.

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:55 am; edited 2 times in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:14 am Reply with quote
Same deal, whenever these kinds of prolific writer people are announced people treat them like they're there as project managers and plan to completely reinvent a genre or classic franchise forever when they're literally just their to write scripts and work as part of a team...as in they involve more than one person's input and ideas even if it can just be overruled by some production committee's whims which has happened to Urobuchi multiple times like it has to any writer.

Sure, but let's not pretend that people aren't going to view this project as "the author of Madoka's Godzilla anime". Similarly, people who haven't seen Madoka, but have watched Knights of Sidonia, are going to use that show as a baseline.

Very few people are going to go watch Anno's Godzilla Resurgence without thinking of Evangelion; it's not as though 7-Eleven is running Godzilla-His and Her Circumstances tie-ins right now, right?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:43 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
The part where Godzilla, Rodan and King Ghidorah debate what it means to be kaiju is gonna be epic.

Actually, the debate was between Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra as it was already done in the movie Ghidrah/Ghidorah; It was weird.

I mean, it's all been done before... except Godzilla versus the combination mech and that doesn't look like it will be done here.. Even animated Godzilla was kind of done on Hedora, his main antagonist was a girl with psychic powers in the Hesei series and don't get me started on superheroes as he's already faced Thor and the Avengers so it's not like One Punch Man can do any better.

What can Toho do? Produce publicized stunt productions in order to pull in a larger fanbase outside their normal comfort zone?

Oh.... We had Walter White versus Godzilla in 2014 so it's not like this came out of nowhere.

And nothing about that image says Godzilla to me except the single word "Godzilla", a movie being produced using the official English name- Yeah, Gojira is not romanticed kanji- wait, I mean it is.. isn't it?- where Godzilla doesn't appear in the first image. A Godzilla... in name only...

Just like "True" Godzilla, there's a pattern emerging and I don't like it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to yet another Urobuchi hit or miss.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
Wait, so it'll be cgi?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3