• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Manga Gets Live-Action Film in 2018 Starring Sōta Fukushi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any opinion on Bleach itself but I don't feel like its material would easily transfer over to live action film. That said, what's up with all of the live action anime adaptations as of late?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
No, but literally Ichigo's entire story was headed for him to become a full-fledged Shinigami (or, my prefered theory, the replacement of the Soul King, seeing how he was the lynchpin of the world, yet he got killed and we never knew how that shit got resolved):

-We had an entire arc about how miserable he was as a human. He literally hated being just a human and having a regular life. The arc's climax came with Ichigo acknowledging how he loved being a shinigami and how proud he felt of that
-The last arc began with Kyoraku giving Ichigo's friends special tickets so they could visit him in Soul Society
-There was a big portion of Ichigo's development in this last arc that necessitated he got in touch with his true, original shinigami powers and his true zanpakuto
-The final battle ended with Ichigo stripped of all his powers except the Shinigami ones, and going back to have the zanpakuto he got before his first incursion into Soul Society

spoiler[Literally the entirety of Bleach was about Ichigo and Rukia. Kubo said it repeatedly. Purposefully designed them to look good together. Gave them the most development and made them symbolically complementary of each other. I mean, it's one thing to ship an under-developped ship (I always really loved GrimmUlqui, sue me), which Ichihime totally is since we never see any progression of their feelings -Orihime stays stuck in her same idolized romantic vision of Ichigo till the very end, and Ichigo never ever shows any sort of inclination for her- , but to completely deny that Ichigo always had romantic potential with Rukia is really ridiculous and shows absolutely no understanding of the actual characters or the series as a whole.

*In case it needs clarification, while I would've liked an IchiRuki ending, I was actually rooting for a non-pairing ending with Ichigo sacrificing himself Madoka-style to become the Soul King/God and continue to protect those he loved, given how that was the entire meaning of his name]
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

No, but literally Ichigo's entire story was headed for him to become a full-fledged Shinigami (or, my prefered theory, the replacement of the Soul King, seeing how he was the lynchpin of the world, yet he got killed and we never knew how that shit got resolved):

-We had an entire arc about how miserable he was as a human. He literally hated being just a human and having a regular life. The arc's climax came with Ichigo acknowledging how he loved being a shinigami and how proud he felt of that
-The last arc began with Kyoraku giving Ichigo's friends special tickets so they could visit him in Soul Society
-There was a big portion of Ichigo's development in this last arc that necessitated he got in touch with his true, original shinigami powers and his true zanpakuto
-The final battle ended with Ichigo stripped of all his powers except the Shinigami ones, and going back to have the zanpakuto he got before his first incursion into Soul Society

spoiler[Literally the entirety of Bleach was about Ichigo and Rukia. Kubo said it repeatedly. Purposefully designed them to look good together. Gave them the most development and made them symbolically complementary of each other. I mean, it's one thing to ship an under-developped ship (I always really loved GrimmUlqui, sue me), which Ichihime totally is since we never see any progression of their feelings -Orihime stays stuck in her same idolized romantic vision of Ichigo till the very end, and Ichigo never ever shows any sort of inclination for her- , but to completely deny that Ichigo always had romantic potential with Rukia is really ridiculous and shows absolutely no understanding of the actual characters or the series as a whole.

*In case it needs clarification, while I would've liked an IchiRuki ending, I was actually rooting for a non-pairing ending with Ichigo sacrificing himself Madoka-style to become the Soul King/God and continue to protect those he loved, given how that was the entire meaning of his name]

Orihime never had an "idolized romantic vision" of Ichigo. This started way back in the Grand Fisher arc when she noticed that smile he was wearing the day before the anniversary of his mother's death was fake. Sure she had fantasies about him once in a while, but that never gave her the perception that he was someone he wasn't. She always saw him for the person that he was.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Orihime never had an "idolized romantic vision" of Ichigo. This started way back in the Grand Fisher arc when she noticed that smile he was wearing the day before the anniversary of his mother's death was fake. Sure she had fantasies about him once in a while, but that never gave her the perception that he was someone he wasn't. She always saw him for the person that he was.

And how Kubo outright said spoiler[in the booklet to the Fade to Black movie that Ichigo and Rukia's relationship was always platonic. And that's before getting into how even in the Bleach prototype Orihime was clearly written as a love interest. Admittedly the relationship had issues as it seemed Kubo was trying to emphasize Ichigo and Orihime but for some reason it was just bungled (and whether this was due to Kubo just screwing up or editors getting in the way I will never know). It's like Naruto and Hinata: there's clearly potential there, but never embraced to its fullest potential.]
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
Lmao I saw this coming, ofc Sj wouldn't support the anime series cause of the sale drop. Glad i kept my expectations low feel for all u Bleach fans who actually though they were gonna dish out a anime u.u.

A new anime series wasn't never going to happen, not sure why people thought they it was coming back. It's not just because of the ever dropping manga sales but also the merchandising of Bleach took a drop as well, games had to be stop being made because of poor sales. It's not worth making an anime if the revenue from merchandising that's dwindling is no longer worth it.

Even with the terrible ratings Naruto anime gets it's still going, why? Because it's merchandising still sells well, same goes with the games worldwide. Heck Naruto ended up getting it's own anime ending with the movie and a sequel with the movie and now current manga sequel.

Last edited by ZODDGUTS on Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

No, but literally Ichigo's entire story was headed for him to become a full-fledged Shinigami (or, my prefered theory, the replacement of the Soul King,

It was? I was under the impression that Ichigo was going to kill the man who killed his mother by proxy after failing to kill the actual being that killed his mother and traumatized him in the process. And then afterwards go back to his regular boring life.

CrowLia wrote:

spoiler[Literally the entirety of Bleach was about Ichigo and Rukia. Kubo said it repeatedly. Purposefully designed them to look good together. Gave them the most development and made them symbolically complementary of each other. I mean, it's one thing to ship an under-developped ship (I always really loved GrimmUlqui, sue me), which Ichihime totally is since we never see any progression of their feelings -Orihime stays stuck in her same idolized romantic vision of Ichigo till the very end, and Ichigo never ever shows any sort of inclination for her- , but to completely deny that Ichigo always had romantic potential with Rukia is really ridiculous and shows absolutely no understanding of the actual characters or the series as a whole.]

spoiler[To play it off like Ichigo & Rukia had any romantic feelings between one another when it was essentially platonic through and through and didn't advance beyond that is little better.]

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
HueyLion wrote:
Lmao I saw this coming, ofc Sj wouldn't support the anime series cause of the sale drop. Glad i kept my expectations low feel for all u Bleach fans who actually though they were gonna dish out a anime u.u.

A new anime series wasn't never going to happen, not sure why people thought they it was coming back. It's not just because of the ever dropping manga sales but also the merchandising of Bleach took a drop as well, games had to be stop being made because of poor sales. It's not worth making an anime if the revenue from merchandising that's dwindling is no longer worth it.

Even with the terrible ratings Naruto anime gets it's still going, why? Because it's merchandising still sells well, same goes with the games worldwide. Heck Naruto ended up getting it's own anime ending with the movie and a sequel with the movie and now current manga sequel.

Regardless of the percentage they might get from the games based on their comics, we have Bleach Brave Souls, which was until last month one of the top 50 highest grossing titles on Google PlayStore (currently on top 100+).

It's doing really fine on that matter really. Those kind of games with microtransactions give waaaaay more money to them than console ones (which also cost a fortune to make).
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
And then there was One Piece of the Big 3 left (sorry, pun intended) Wink It was a fun run I guess with Bleach, although the series did lose it's identity when you look at what it was trying to accomplish in the beginning versus what ended up happening at the end. No closure for 90% of the characters. Ships aside, a very disappointing ending, but considering all the headbutting we've been hearing about between Kubo and Jump this doesn't surprise me anymore. And then of course Kubo trolls us with the last panel where spoiler[Renji/Rukia's daughter meets Ichigo/Orihime's son in the same fashion as in the first chapter, but then all of a sudden Kazui is a shinigami too.] Potential sequel? If I was Kubo I would jump ship to Kodansha or Shogakukan, maybe they might have a slot for him somewhere. That or move to one of the monthly magazines. So long Kubo, best of luck to you, take this as a lesson in story pacing and storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
spoiler[To play it off like Ichigo & Rukia had any romantic feelings between one another when it was essentially platonic through and through and didn't advance beyond that is little better].

Yeah, seriously. spoiler[Shipping is one thing, but it never helps to have the shipping goggles strapped on so tight that you start losing sight of what actually happens in canon and replace it with your own fantasy of what you wish would be happening. Ship if you want, but never forget that you're just a fan and not the author, and the author has literally zero obligation to play along with your fantasies.

I liked the Ichigo & Rukia relationship in the manga but it was basically a platonic "brothers in arms" close friendship. Friends can change each others' lives, friends can mean a lot to each other. It doesn't need to be romantic. It was never once implied, never mind said out loud, that they have romantic feelings for one another. All those scenes people like to drag out as "evidence" of romantic feelings felt like friendship to me.

Personally I'm completely fine with what the end seems to be (considering the expectations I had... ie. that Ichigo becomes a full shinigami and ditches the human world, which would have been completely against his entire character arc), with the sole exception of Uryuu. I'll never ever be not disappointed with how Uryuu was treated in this manga. The poor boy deserved so much better.]
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Jump probably doesn't want to do a sequel starring Ichigo's son(this was similar to Naruto's ending) but that would be interesting, but I bet an anime announcement could happen at Jump Festa this year. If that doesn't happen than all hope is lost
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
SERN wrote:
LOL invest money? Do you actually buy bleach manga? Im pretty sure you can't buy the 1000 year blood war arc in English lol.

This is very troublesome to hear. Volumes 55 through 67 are all available in English.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

spoiler[Yeah, seriously. Shipping is one thing, but it never helps to have the shipping goggles strapped on so tight that you start losing sight of what actually happens in canon and replace it with your own fantasy of what you wish would be happening. Ship if you want, but never forget that you're just a fan and not the author, and the author has literally zero obligation to play along with your fantasies.

I liked the Ichigo & Rukia relationship in the manga but it was basically a platonic "brothers in arms" close friendship. Friends can change each others' lives, friends can mean a lot to each other. It doesn't need to be romantic. It was never once implied, never mind said out loud, that they have romantic feelings for one another. All those scenes people like to drag out as "evidence" of romantic feelings felt like friendship to me.

Personally I'm completely fine with what the end seems to be (considering the expectations I had... ie. that Ichigo becomes a full shinigami and ditches the human world, which would have been completely against his entire character arc), with the sole exception of Uryuu. I'll never ever be not disappointed with how Uryuu was treated in this manga. The poor boy deserved so much better]

If I could, I'd give you a digital cookie for your comment. Very Happy

I'm finding It weird how nowadays people can't except canon anymore. I didn't hear people complaining when Goku married Chichi, but when NaruHina and now this happened, everyone loses their shit.

You can't help the blind see what they choose to ignore. Once it's canon, it'll always be canon.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
And just like that 2 pages worth of crap one liner, troll.flamebait, and rude argumentative/insulting posts are gone. Too many to give specific warnings so here's one big thread wide warning, stop the rude and ignorant comments to each other. Stop the trolling. And stop the OT shipping debate. None of that has anything to do with the actual topic.

One a different subject it's called spoiler tags people, use them. It does not matter if you have read or watched the material in question others may not have. Since none of this shipping debate or spoilers on the ending are mentioned at all in the article spoiler tags are in fact expected.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I didn't hear people complaining when Goku married Chichi

Were you in Japan in 1988? That's the only way you could get a genuine reaction to Goku marrying Chichi since most people, especially in the west, entered the series after that was already an established fact.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

I'm finding It weird how nowadays people can't except canon anymore. I didn't hear people complaining when Goku married Chichi,

The irony of this is that ChiChi is more or less the reason for why Gohan is currently so weak.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7