• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Arcadia of My Youth, Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer Films, More Lupin Spe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Beautiful Dreamer had better be in 16:9. Just sayin'. Evil or Very Mad

Can't imagine why it wouldn't be, but I couldn't understand why the 2004 release wasn't in 16:9, either.

It is in 16:9, which is actually bad because the movie was produced in 4:3, so you're losing 25% of the original video. I hate that shit, they did it to Arcadia of My Youth as well.

Just because we all own 16:9 TVs doesn't mean ALL media needs to fit that ratio. What do you people do when you get cinemascope movies? You still have black bars, but now they're vertical. Do you zoom in on Ben-Hur and cut material off the sides just because it's like 2.70:1?
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
As excited as I am to hear news of Urusei Yatsura and Lupin III getting further DVD and Blu-ray releases, I'm disappointed that Discotek isn't making any further releases of Dr. Slump. I wish to learn more about the classic manga anime that precedes Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball series.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Beautiful Dreamer had better be in 16:9. Just sayin'. :evil:

Can't imagine why it wouldn't be, but I couldn't understand why the 2004 release wasn't in 16:9, either.

I hope you're aware that the original movie was produced 4:3 and that all the newer japanese releases of the UY-movies in 16:9 have the original artwork cut at the top and bottom to fit the format. You can tell by looking at some of shots of all six movies that they actually were never meant to be in 16:9.
I understand the decision to release the movies in 16:9 in today's market with wide TV-screens, but I'd still prefer the original 4:3 format.

Eric2 wrote:
The, er, FIVE other features (and yeah, the third one's not so bad either, just as a representative of the Kazuo Yamazaki phase of the series)

I always thought it was the sixth movie (the 10-anniversary one) that had the worst reputation among hardcore fans, whereas the third one still had at least nice looking designs and fluid animation thanks to chief animation director Moriyama Yûji.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
I always thought it was the sixth movie (the 10-anniversary one) that had the worst reputation among hardcore fans, whereas the third one still had at least nice looking designs and fluid animation thanks to chief animation director Moriyama Yûji.

"Always My Darling"? Oh yeah, that was downright horrible--Basically a TV-designed OVA feature, that was more interested in anniversary episode-character callback cameos than in the classic ones, robotizes Ataru into someone else's insultingly badly-remembered one-dimensional parody of himself, and tries the same "Other fighting couple" plot that was already used in the 5th "Final Chapter" movie, only not as funny or likable. The Rumik World 2008 "school race" episode wasn't quite the original series, but it was closer than this.
The fourth, "Lum the Forever" was the historic franchise-killer in theaters that led to doing the Final Chapter, though.

#3, "Remember My Love" is fluffy and inconsequential, but represents more of Yamazaki's fantasy-tinged "fairytale" feel for the later series--The first half, with the eerie amusement park, tries to go for Dreamer's unsettling creepiness, and the middle third, where Tomobiki notices its "magic" disappearing after Lum's gone missing, is more wistful than we expect it to be. Crying or Very sad
Desslok

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:57 am Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
I highly recommend checking out Arcadia of My Youth (one of the best anime made so far) for those new to Harlockverse lore.

Fixed that for you.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
Every anime ever should have Blu-ray release.

Amen! And I wouldn't have expected to see any Urusei Yatsura on Blu-ray at this point, so that's a definite treat (though it's fun and a classic, it never really was a very good looking show, so while the upgrade is definitely desirable, I'm not sure how much of a step up it's really going to be). I'm glad to see that Discotek is releasing more on Blu-ray. Here's to hoping that all of their future releases are on Blu-ray (I'm think of Strike the Blood in particular).

Kougeru wrote:
5 CM on bluray finally!??! This movie deserves nothing less than bluray. Will buy

5 CM Per Second is bound to look fantastic on Blu-ray, and I may very well buy it on Blu-ray so that I have the best copy that I can have, but I doubt that I'll ever watch it. It was very well done, but it's easily the most depressing anime that I've ever seen. I had to rate it as a masterpiece on ANN, but at the same time, I practically can't stand it, which is definitely a weird combination.

Blanchimont wrote:
Something DID happen, for sure, but what... well... I'm a backer of their Kodomo no Jikan kickstarter, and 3 days ago there was this one ominous post from them in the comments. Nothing since;

Blanchimont wrote:
So,... what the heck happened? Going by earlier posts/updates/comments, their PeCChi imprint should already have been under new hands/management, so something like this was definitely not expected...

Well, the employee who was managing the kickstarters left the company (I have no idea why), and they seem to have had trouble getting what she was in charge of sorted out. According to a recent comment on the Vanilla Essence kickstarter, the person who is now handling the kickstarters for DMP is actually the second person that they've assigned to it since the employee who was originally in charge of them left (the previous replacement also left apparently - which doesn't exactly give you warm fuzzies for DMP's situation). So, they don't seem to have been particularly well organized in the wake of their personnel changes, but it also sounds like they might finally be getting it under control. Certainly, they now have someone who has publicly stated that they're in charge of dealing with it and that they're going to do their best to get it all back on track again and be open about it. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes though.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Speaking as someone who's watched Beautiful Dreamer in 16:9 on the Japanese R2 DVD, I didn't notice much difference from the 4:3 version. It looked like it was framed with the intention of being cropped. All the important information looks like it was placed in the safe area.

It was not uncommon to frame animated films for both theater and video during this era. Even when the Dragon Ball Z movies were shown in Japanese theaters, sometimes the mattes would be kept on and other times off.

Regardless, the master Toho used looks a lot sharper and cleaner than what CPM used on their release. CPM's master had a lot of chroma noise.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I just made a grunt of surprise and went into a Hillary-style freakout. This is, surprise surprise, fantasticool news from Discotek. Beautiful Dreamer/UY is most certainly one I've been hoping and expecting to see from Discotek now that AnimeEigo or anybody else has nothing to do with it. Arcadia is a supreme pickup as well, and great to have it on BD like Japan. Very happy to also see them rescuing the FUNi Lupin specials.

And of course, once again Discotek scores by bringing an obscure classic to light. Good on them for getting Charge Man Ken. Bodes well for the classics.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Speaking as someone who's watched Beautiful Dreamer in 16:9 on the Japanese R2 DVD, I didn't notice much difference from the 4:3 version. It looked like it was framed with the intention of being cropped. All the important information looks like it was placed in the safe area.

It was not uncommon to frame animated films for both theater and video during this era. Even when the Dragon Ball Z movies were shown in Japanese theaters, sometimes the mattes would be kept on and other times off.

Regardless, the master Toho used looks a lot sharper and cleaner than what CPM used on their release. CPM's master had a lot of chroma noise.

In the commentary tracked he recorded for CPM's release, Oshii said every shot of Beautiful Dreamer was laid out in such a way that it would look good even in cropped widescreen, which he calls "binbou vista" ("poor man's vista size").
Greggo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy that Beautiful Dreamer can soon be had for a lot less than $Stupid. Blu Ray is just a bonus. Easily my favorite UY movie.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
Discotek is definitely the company here for old-school anime licenses. If I ever saw a DT booth at a con, I would want to ask how it became and continues to be their specialty.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Do I need to watch the Urusei Yatsura series to watch Beautiful Dreamer? I only seen the first two episodes and they are good. But the series is so long, it will be a while before I can watch all of it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Do I need to watch the Urusei Yatsura series to watch Beautiful Dreamer? I only seen the first two episodes and they are good. But the series is so long, it will be a while before I can watch all of it.

At the risk of SPOILERS, you need to watch the first episode (with the race setup) to get one key scene. Cool But if you've seen the second, you at least know hot-tempered girlfriend Shinobu and the geek/obsessed Gang of Four.

After that, you may need to familiarize yourself with just some of the supporting characters from the later first season and early second season (= late #20's/early #30's):
Ataru's irritatingly rich rival Mendou (and why his family has access to JSDF jump-jets and tanks), Tomobiki High's poor tough-teacher Onsen-mark, Cherry (the "It's fate" monk)'s fierce Shinto-exorcist niece Sakura (imagine Sailor Mars grown up...a lot), Lum's "cute" (cough) baby cousin Ten-chan, and Ranma-esque tomboy Ryuunusuke and her Genma-like father.
The first three are particularly central, the others are only supporting plot appearances.

Also, the plot specifically calls back to first season Ep. #21, "Wake Up to a Nightmare", but a new viewer can get by without it.
The TV episode after that was the Spring Special, which has a clip-recap FAQ of the first season ("All-Star Bash"), and that might help with a few of the basics.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
Every anime ever should have Blu-ray release.
I can't say I'm looking forward to the "random 80s/90s low-profile low-budget TV series where the film got lost/damaged, so enjoy these analog master upscales" collections.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
In the commentary tracked he recorded for CPM's release, Oshii said every shot of Beautiful Dreamer was laid out in such a way that it would look good even in cropped widescreen, which he calls "binbou vista" ("poor man's vista size").

That is kind of cool, BUT I'd still prefer to have the choice to view all of the animation these guys would have slaved over rather than no choice.

If any article, documentary, or even self-referential anime has taught me one thing: making anime is painful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5