• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
"it's animal abuse"

the impression I'm getting during the 1st half of the episode

I was thinking maybe they have the wrong one ? Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
Reading the comments I have not thought that the witch actually being a future Emilia in the past was a good theory. My thought was that idea of time being bent like that for Emilia is a bit out place. But then I realised that the entire series is based on time loops, so it actually might thematically fit. It could be that everything happening including Subaru is to try and make Emilia into the Witch, into a villain. The turning into a villain seems to have been a theme I could be seeing coming.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
@AksaraKishou

Ha, that definitely conjured up some unpleasant raid boss memories. Anime hyper

Too bad we probably aren't going to get it, but I'd like to see a side story dedicated to Wilhelm and Theresia's evolving relationship and how it moved from vengeance to (I'm assuming) mutual love and respect.;

Well, we do have the EX novels. I think volume 1 is their flashback.

[Edit] Its volume 2. Volume 1 is spoiler[ Felix's backstory.]

I'm praying it get's translated to be honest...
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:51 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
@AksaraKishou

Ha, that definitely conjured up some unpleasant raid boss memories. Anime hyper

Too bad we probably aren't going to get it, but I'd like to see a side story dedicated to Wilhelm and Theresia's evolving relationship and how it moved from vengeance to (I'm assuming) mutual love and respect.;

Well, we do have the EX novels. I think volume 1 is their flashback.

[Edit] Its volume 2. Volume 1 is spoiler[ Felix's backstory.]

I'm praying it get's translated to be honest...

Sounds like OVA/especials material.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:48 am Reply with quote
Never seen a review with this many comments...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
@Exalted Incarnate I'd agree, but one of the 15 commenters here has already said this doesn't compare to some show from a few years ago.

@AnimeAddict2014 Yeah, why isn't PETA calling for a boycott? Taking out it's eye was pretty "gnarly" but I wonder why Wilhelm stopped at just the one? I think he should have kept going.

@Rinkwolf Maybe LN/Manga readers of this can say some things with certainty, but from where I sit, the identity of the woman who appeared behind Subaru isn't known, being the Witch is just a reasonable assumption. Could be the Dragon (if that's just a title) and we know next to nothing about that character. The Witch being the one who gave Subaru the RBD power is likewise a big assumption

@AksaraKishou Maybe real Japanese speakers could verify if her mouth matches "Daiski" but it didn't look like what my mouth does on that phrase, but interesting if true.

Also, I didn't think the "wall of text" from reddit was a good addition as it just parenthetically reiterated the action of this episode, which I think we already saw. We already have too many walls of text from the 15 if you ask me Key (Beatrice adds: "no one asked you, I suppose")
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
Never seen a review with this many comments...

Go look at UBW's thread.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Maybe real Japanese speakers could verify if her mouth matches "Daiski" but it didn't look like what my mouth does on that phrase, but interesting if true.

I think it's "aishiteru," which I understand to be a deeper, more intimate form of love than suki or daisuki, and is very rarely even used outside of song lyrics or dramas. So it was probably used here for dramatic effect and for being fairly readable. Smile
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
The reddit re-post was a cute throw-back to my MMORPG-playing days; I cracked a smile.

Not a whole lot to say about this episode; it was a well-done fight and there are some more plot detail reveals/ambiguities, but nothing that seems juicy thematically, or like there was any major character development worth bloviating about (which I guess will make Hiroki happy, heh).

I don't think action-packed Re;Zero is where it's at its best (and in particular think other shows do high-paced, frenetic battle scenes more effectively, as Theron's review noted), but I think it is/was still pretty darned good.
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
This gives me the impression that the person was always there but Subaru never noticed because he was always focused on the part that was causing him pain. What if that person showed up every time Subaru invoked the punishment by trying to speak about his "return by death" ability but him never noticed it?

Now I can't shake the image of Satella sitting across from Subaru, Konosuba-style, while she tells him she's going to send him back yet again but also again erase his memory of their conversation.
dash56

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
Now I can't shake the image of Satella sitting across from Subaru, Konosuba-style, while she tells him she's going to send him back yet again but also again erase his memory of their conversation.

LOL so Re:Zero is just the prequel to Konosuba?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
ep 21

dammmmmmmn, Wilhelm is fricken MVP as far as I'm concerned. The flashbacks with him and his wife were short but still did a really good job in filling out his character. When he yelled out that he loved his wife after defeating the whale I definitely felt the feels hitting. This is one of the few series that can get emotional responses out of me, and for a supporting character no less. I was so happy when he said he was joining Subaru. Get ready to get bent over and schooled, Betelgeuse.

And now Subaru has the fricken A Team helping him out against the Witch Cult, and he's got a spare waifu in Cruche. Things are looking so positive I have a feeling a ton of people are going to die next episode because that seems to be the usual pattern whenever good things happen in this series.
dash56

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Alright Subaru, you've been through way too much to let your salty feelings of the knight pull you down.

Hopefully this season can end on a high note with Betelgeuse in the ground.
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
So does this change the reset point, or is he going to defeat Betelgeuse on the first try? The extreme rage he displayed about the knight whose name I don't know seems like something that is gonna get a lot of people killed.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
I believe Subaru's sour face was for Julius and it will be interesting to see how far personal growth in Subaru and him has come since Ep14. The next reset point is likely to be the next battle. The die is indeed cast for the plot's trajectory to the conclusion, battle the Witch Cult, encounter the Witch, make Emilia the Dragon Priestess. Personally, I'd like to see Felt get the title though. I believe slaying the dragon or getting him/her to renounce control of the kingdom is for the next season, which there will surely be. If popularity holds and manga sales don't increase, this could be the next Naruto/Inuyasha/One Piece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 54 of 73