• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
this first episode with harvest speaks to this show's strengths. It is clearly a fighting show where it was still good without any fighting.
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
But without Shigekiyo they'd have exactly zero while he'd just happily continue to collect change, so the little bastard's got a point. Wink

That argument would have worked the first time. Josuke clearly didn't mind letting go of not getting the 50% they agreed on during their first finds, because (a) unlike Okuyasu he doesn't go around looking for trouble and (b) it was a valid point, despite what they argued.

The thing with the ticket, however, is that HE AGREED before the plan was actually given. He had to promise to give 50% before the plan was actually laid out, and he agreed to it. He could have simply walked away and perhaps come up with the plan later on his own (which he probably wouldn't have) and the whole thing would have stopped there. But no, he AGREED to the 50% split, heard the plan, put it into action, got a winner, and tried to get out of it with his stupid rationalization.

The 1/3rd split? That's his punishment for trying to outright KILL his new friends. Seeing as how he ripped Okuyasu's skin off and tried to pluck their eyes out, I'd say he got off easy.
MalcolmBelmont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
Surprised they are doing that arc first but i think it will help flow better once we get to the next four episodes which are going to be extremely good. I can't wait to see pepole's reaction to those four episodes.

I know there are some pepole that don't like the Monster of the Week but trust me after the next episode the story will pic up in a big way and will lead to one of the more shocking moments in DIU.

I personally really like the MOTW storyline because most of the fights aren't based on physical combat rather Josuke and co's intelligence.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
MalcolmBelmont wrote:
I personally really like the MOTW storyline because most of the fights aren't based on physical combat rather Josuke and co's intelligence.

Well, whether a series is monster-of-the-week or not has nothing to do with how the main characters defeat them. As it currently is, Diamond Is Unbreakable is monster-of-the-week and highly strategic in fights. On the other hand, Sailor Moon is largely monster-of-the-week and mostly about shows of power. And then there's Hunter X Hunter, which is not monster-of-the-week but is based on creative use of powers, and there's Dragon Ball Z, which is not monster-of-the-week but is almost completely about shows of power.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Also, I think I spotted one of the mental fireworks reading "WRYYYYY." Is it memetic in Japan too?

It's emblematic to JoJo, all cosplayers of DIO most likely do it. The pose is usually recurrent in an anime as reference.

Quote:

Come to think of it, this might be the longest ranged Stand we've seen yet. Are there any with longer reaches?

Yes, it's called Bohemian Rhapsody (Stone Ocean part) and I recommend not look it up because the surprise of the Stand itself is part of what makes it cool. It's range is literally world-scale, or maybe even infinite, and it's different from something such as The World because while the power has world-scale, The World can't be projected outside of the user in a similar fashion, while Bohemian Rhapsody's body is its power itself.

There is another Stand that covers more ground than Harvest, Under World, which covers specifically the city of Orlando, Florida, certainly a bigger city than Morioh, which might be the limit for Harvest, apparently.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call threatening someone twice, Assaulting them twice, And taking swipes at your crush's mother, and deflecting blame from yourself as being "more" humbled and humanized Razz
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

Yukako looks like Wonder Woman in the thumbnail.

I was totally expecting Joseph & baby to collide with Yukako and make her invisible to Koichi. Smile

I wasn't sure if the "makeup" really had an effect on Koichi or not. I thought he might be immune because of being a Stand user. After all, he was feeling kind of bad for her before, and he wasn't overcome the first time. Plus he recognized her even when the superficial glamour was gone and she was starting to fall apart. I guess I'd like to think it wasn't artificially induced affection if he could recognize her true self despite outward appearances. Smile
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
So does Yukako have a Shota complex?
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So does Yukako have a Shota complex?

No. She just likes how cool Koichi looks. Short guys need love, too. Smile
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I doubt this will be received well by other fans of the show (and maybe I'm not that.. anymore?), but man, this arc and the last one just really make me miss the first two. I want a dark, hilariously serious, Beowulf-like battle of good versus evil out've Jojo, not a sequence of unrelated episodic slice-of-live villains. I long ago got the sense this is no longer the show for me (though I kept hoping the electric villain from episodes past would become an interestingly menacing antagonist), but I want to still find something to love in it, because those first two seasons were exactly in my wheelhouse. Anyway!
Kezone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I doubt this will be received well by other fans of the show (and maybe I'm not that.. anymore?), but man, this arc and the last one just really make me miss the first two. I want a dark, hilariously serious, Beowulf-like battle of good versus evil out've Jojo, not a sequence of unrelated episodic slice-of-live villains. I long ago got the sense this is no longer the show for me (though I kept hoping the electric villain from episodes past would become an interestingly menacing antagonist), but I want to still find something to love in it, because those first two seasons were exactly in my wheelhouse. Anyway!

spoiler[Give it until, oh, about next episode.]

They rearranged the manga a bit here. Originally this arc happened after the upcoming one.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I doubt this will be received well by other fans of the show (and maybe I'm not that.. anymore?), but man, this arc and the last one just really make me miss the first two. I want a dark, hilariously serious, Beowulf-like battle of good versus evil out've Jojo, not a sequence of unrelated episodic slice-of-live villains.

......it's still dark, and hilariously serious even part 3 was dark and hilariously serious.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I think it has maintained some horror elements (not that horror is the only way to portray a dark feeling, but I think it's been the predominant one of late in Jojo), but I would not call it dark anymore, not even last season. It's become too focused on introducing silly and convoluted "Stand"-ins for villains to really achieve that. On the rare occasions where it manages to develop a sober tone that's quickly broken by some absurd happening or other. The last two seasons feel to me like they've careened rapidly towards "Circus of arbitrary low-stakes powers." and away from "Epic battle between good and evil.", to reframe my frustration, I guess.

edit: I also think to some extent this is intrinsic to stands. They take the focus and direct it away from the characters to a significant extent; this often makes me care less about fights, even if they still may harm the characters themselves (or I think it does, anyway). Just a minor psychological observation. Haven't been a fan of them as a narrative tool since their introduction for this reason.

edit2: As an example: consider the "racecar guy" of last season from Dio's mansion. I bought into the atmosphere of Dio's mansion (well, sort've; the brutal animal Stand Master fight immediately prior to entering it just seemed grotesque rather than terrifying or intense, and that wasn't a good place to begin that part of the story IMO) for the most part, but... then we play videogames to beat this guy? At first glance that has me wondering whether I'm watching a show that wants me to really believe anything can happen to its heroes. Nevertheless, certainly a zany idea like that could be sold as terrifying, horrific, deadly, etc... but I don't think it was except in the most distant sense. From color palettes to framing to the nature of its denizens' powers, I saw Dio's mansion as a carnival of oddities more than a terrifying darkness.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:59 pm; edited 5 times in total
another505

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
To the writer, its not "Cinderella Aesthetic," its Mucha style of Art Noveau.
It almost gave me a heart attack since he is my favorite artist.

Jojo X Mucha
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
The last two seasons feel to me like they've careened rapidly towards "Circus of arbitrary low-stakes powers." and away from "Epic battle between good and evil.", to reframe my frustration, I guess.

I get that though for what it's worth Phantom's Blood's stuffy mostly serious tone didn't exactly endear it to lot of fans hence the mood whiplash of the succeeding parts.

NeverConvex wrote:
edit: I also think to some extent this is intrinsic to stands. They take the focus and direct it away from the characters to a significant extent; this often makes me care less about fights, even if they still may harm the characters themselves (or I think it does, anyway). Just a minor psychological observation. Haven't been a fan of them as a narrative tool since their introduction for this reason.

I see,

NeverConvex wrote:
edit2: As an example: consider the "racecar guy" of last season from Dio's mansion. I bought into the atmosphere of Dio's mansion (well, sort've; the brutal animal Stand Master fight immediately prior to entering it just seemed grotesque rather than terrifying or intense, and that wasn't a good place to begin that part of the story IMO) for the most part, but... then we play videogames to beat this guy? At first glance that has me wondering whether I'm watching a show that wants me to really believe anything can happen to its heroes. Nevertheless, certainly a zany idea like that could be sold as terrifying, horrific, deadly, etc... but I don't think it was except in the most distant sense.

Having your soul taken from you by losing a challenge and placed into creepy looking dolls that can talk is a pretty terrifying fate....admittedly dulled somewhat by the fact that the Older D'arby brother had the same ability and that encounter was considerably more tense than the latter but still.

NeverConvex wrote:
From color palettes to framing to the nature of its denizens' powers, I saw Dio's mansion as a carnival of oddities more than a terrifying darkness.

Well it is called JoJo's Bizarre Adventure after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 28