• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Six Anime Trips to New York City

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Aww, Mad Bull 34 didn't make the cut? Very Happy

You just had to go there... Cool
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back,Lynzee! And I really liked this list. It's interesting to see how foreigners see America,especially our largest city. From the positive,negative,and just plain weird,it's interesting to see. I've got a feeling that there are those among you great commentors that think that this is right up my alley. And you'd be right. I've yet to see the "Love Live!" movie that's set in New York. Although LA and San Francisco have large Asian populations,so does New York. There are Japanese who live in New York. I just hope there are more America-set anime. I'd love to see them.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Welcome back,Lynzee!

You may want to read the byline

spoiler[This one was done by Jacob not Lynzee]
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
Oooops! Sorry about that! Thanks zrnzle500. I appreciate what you said. The rest of what I said still stands though. Embarassed Thanks again!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
One anime (and manga) that came to mind was JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but I can see why it wasn't on this list: The series spent only the first couple of episodes of Part 2 in NYC, and it moved on from there.

I would love to see a Shin Megami Tensei game set in NYC though, to see how they handle it. We've already seen the Pokémon games handle NYC via Unova, whic was really neat.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Never heard of of that New York New York manga but sounds right up my alley. My question is how come San Francisco or LA isn't as widely used in anime despite the high amount of Asian Americans?

My guess is that it's due to the huge NYC prevalence in media from the United States. Every huge thing seems to happen there or Washington, DC. Even Hollywood rarely ever sets a big piece in Los Angeles despite Hollywood being a district of LA, and San Francisco only really comes up if they want to use its weird topography. (Sonic Adventure 2 made really interesting use of San Francisco's famous hills though.)

In turn, I think Hollywood uses NYC a lot because of its huge amount of recognizable, iconic landmarks (Statue of Liberty, Coney Island, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, 5th Avenue, Central Park, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center and its ground-level skating rink, JFK International) and because those Hollywood studios were once based around New York City before moving to southern California.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:53 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I clicked just to see if Blood Blockade Battlefront was in the list, and I leave satisfied. By the way, Jacob, Funimation is releasing BBB on BD/DVD in a couple of weeks.

It's great that we are finally getting closer to the physical release. Can't wait to own this show, loved the season and they need to make more eventually. Very Happy
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
NYC is definitely the go to American city for Manga and Anime probably because it's in some of the most iconic movies of all time than again it might be because it's located on an island. Confused
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
I wonder how many of that 6% is lying, because I have a feeling 'a lot'.
thomas8166

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
I was kinda hoping to see the GJ-bu OVA listed here to be honest, but I guess that one isn't as well known. spoiler[And really, there wasn't much difference in this episode from what the cast usually did, seeing as their clubroom in NYC looks exactly the same as their old one.]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
Though it is not really a trip, the "Tiger & Bunny" city is based off of NYC. On the topic of NYC-related things, Fort Lee, NJ (part of the NYC Metro Area) was the USA movie capital for a while. However, that changed when we got the 1st movie shot in Hollywood, a 1910 movie "In Old Hollywood".
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
There are Japanese who live in New York.

As a New Yorker, I have to say that the Japanese community in New York is decidedly smaller and less prominent than that of the other two major East Asian communities.

New York has a large amount of Chinatowns in Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn, and at least two Koreatowns in Manhattan and Queens, but the only major Japanese community I can think of here in NYC proper is in the East Village over by St. Marks Place (coincidentally, the street where Kenka, which the restaurant that Maki took μ's to when Hanayo wanted to eat rice is based off of, is located; I nearly did a double take and lost my shit after I saw that scene in the Love Live movie, but going there again a couple months ago after seeing the movie made me think that the decor there is decidedly quite a bit too risque for Japanese schoolgirls to be going to alone), where there's a bunch of Japanese restaurants/ramen-yas/izakayas/yakitori bars (it's also where the NYC branch of Ippudo is located, great ramen over there) in the area. There's also Japan Society over by the UN, Kinokuniya over by Bryant Park, and high end Japanese restaurants/sushi bars/izakayas in Midtown and Tribeca, but there's no central Japanese community here in the city.

As for more on the Love Live movie NYC appearance, I loved the fact that they also parodied Junior's as well where Kotori goes to get her cheesecake fix. Also, the bandshell that μ's runs past and they get up on in Central Park is where the annual Japan Day festival is held, and where last year, the organizers had 4 members of AKB48 (don't ask me which ones, I don't know) perform as well, so that was a nice coincidence.

Poll: I'm torn between Mari and Dia.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
Im a little surprised there was no mention of York Shin from Hunter X Hunter.

Also NYC is not an Island, only parts/bourghs of it are, Manhattan and Staten Island come to mind.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Also NYC is not an Island, only parts/bourghs of it are, Manhattan and Staten Island come to mind.

Technically, only the Bronx is not on an island. As you said, Manhattan and Staten Island are islands, and Queens and Brooklyn are on Long Island.
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
How could you leave out Excel's amazing trip to NYC? Razz

leafy sea dragon wrote:

My guess is that it's due to the huge NYC prevalence in media from the United States. Every huge thing seems to happen there or Washington, DC. Even Hollywood rarely ever sets a big piece in Los Angeles despite Hollywood being a district of LA, and San Francisco only really comes up if they want to use its weird topography. (Sonic Adventure 2 made really interesting use of San Francisco's famous hills though.)

In turn, I think Hollywood uses NYC a lot because of its huge amount of recognizable, iconic landmarks (Statue of Liberty, Coney Island, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, 5th Avenue, Central Park, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center and its ground-level skating rink, JFK International) and because those Hollywood studios were once based around New York City before moving to southern California.

Kind like how 90% + of Japanese dramas take place in Tokyo with older ones having the Tokyo tower in view. These days it's either the Sky tree or a lot are placed in Yokohama with plenty of scenes shot in the Yamashita Park area.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
In addition, Tokyo has the highest percentage of people in Japan. If a story has to be set within a single city, Tokyo is a safe bet because there will almost always be more audience members who live there and can thus connect with the setting than setting it anywhere else in Japan. Even now, Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma treats going to places like Hokkaido as a novelty and a vacation of sorts, showing off its exoticness. And you have stories like Akira or Evangelion where Tokyo is destroyed (and the entire Shin Megami Tensei series where either Tokyo is destroyed or Tokyo is the only remaining human civilization left) to give its audience an idea of the scale of devastation and the loss of life in the catastrophes in these stories.

Doesn't really explain series like Sailor Moon, which is set mostly in Tokyo even though its villains want to take over the world or destroy it or somesuch. For some reason, they always go to Tokyo first, making it the large-scale equivalent of shooting at Captain America's shield.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3