• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Thunderbolt Fantasy

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
All in all, a very fun episode, with some really awesome action as per usual. Honestly, the direction that straddles the line between campy and legitimately awesome is actually my favorite part of the show so far (that and the glorious puppets, but I digress).

However, I found that this episode once again showcased my main (and honestly, only) issue with Urobuchi's writing in this series (and in general): how indulgent it is. It feels like every conversation takes juuuuuust a little longer than it should, and every character gets to say their piece for slightly longer than seems necessary, or even logical, given the urgency of their mission. This was an issue in Fate/Zero, and even more so in Psycho Pass, and to a lesser extent in Gargantia (but weirdly not in Madoka at all. Go figure). As quick as the pacing seems to be as-is, he could have probably used a stricter editor.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
My personal theory is not only that Xíng Hài is Guǐ Niǎo's ex, but Shā Wú Shēng is also Guǐ Niǎo's ex. Not only does he leave a trail of corpses, but he looks FABULOUS while doing it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I think my favorite part of the episode, aside from Phoenix's Vogue-worthy threads, was Bu's ongoing "wait, what?" over the necromancer's sudden about-face. And my god, I love how they crafted her horns!
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
For a moment there, i really thought Archer was a goner, though i'm sure there aren't many more badass ways to go than being offed by a guy called The Roaring Phoenix Killer (and that name's definitely not just for show!). Laughing
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:26 am Reply with quote
MAL is still denying that this is an anime? Idiots...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:50 am Reply with quote
Well it isn't anime. It's not animation of any kind. The things being photographed are actually moving before the cameras in real time, so no animation is involved. It's no more animation than the Muppets are, and the only thing not live-action about it is the puppets aren't alive. Special effects, yes, animation, no.

That said, that's still no reason to bar it from sites that have to do with animation or anime, given the interest in the production staff of a large number of visitors to such sites.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well it isn't anime. It's not animation of any kind. The things being photographed are actually moving before the cameras in real time, so no animation is involved. It's no more animation than the Muppets are, and the only thing not live-action about it is the puppets aren't alive. Special effects, yes, animation, no.

That said, that's still no reason to bar it from sites that have to do with animation or anime, given the interest in the production staff of a large number of visitors to such sites.

But it is animation. By that logic, stopmotion animation doesn't count either.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
Hum, thy better come up with something clever next episode like them going "you know what? Screw the flute we can do without" cause otherwise it's pretty lame that they just gave up there. I mean there going to have to attack him again at some point, unless they wanna wait for him to die of old age, there chance are not gonna get any better.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

However, I found that this episode once again showcased my main (and honestly, only) issue with Urobuchi's writing in this series (and in general): how indulgent it is. It feels like every conversation takes juuuuuust a little longer than it should, and every character gets to say their piece for slightly longer than seems necessary, or even logical, given the urgency of their mission. This was an issue in Fate/Zero, and even more so in Psycho Pass, and to a lesser extent in Gargantia (but weirdly not in Madoka at all. Go figure). As quick as the pacing seems to be as-is, he could have probably used a stricter editor.

it seems like,due to the nature of madoka shinbo and magica quartet in general had a lot of influence in the work, without relegating urobushi to just an appended name.

Lord Dcast wrote:

thanks
Alan45 wrote:
I find it interesting that the archer is as accurate as he is, since he aims with his patched eye.

just like snake from metal gear.

http://i.imgur.com/odPHwU4.jpg
http://media.psu.com/media/metal-gear-solid:-peace-walker/mgs-peacewalker.png
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Stop motion objects are not actually moving, hence the name stop motion. Whether or not the things being photographed are real physical things is not what determines if those things are moving (not animation) or only appear to be moving (animation). Animation is the art of making things that are not actually moving appear to be moving. Thunderbolt Fantasy is not that because they are actually moving in real time as they are being filmed.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Yeah, no. That's not the same at all. As Gina already pointed out above me, stop motion is taking still photographs of still objects and splicing them together to create the illusion of motion. This is just video taping actual moving objects. It is essentially live action.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I have admired the dedication to detail in this show from the beginning. One good example appears while Shang and the princess are talking about the mystic sword in episode three. There is a scroll hanging on the wall just behind them. The staff could have simply let it hang there as a decoration, but that's not realistic enough for them. They shot a small puff of air at the scroll to give the impression of a breeze blowing through the room.

I'm watching this show with a professional sculptor, and we both spend more time discussing the remarkable production effects than the story.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Yeah, no. That's not the same at all. As Gina already pointed out above me, stop motion is taking still photographs of still objects and splicing them together to create the illusion of motion. This is just video taping actual moving objects. It is essentially live action.

Then does rotoscoping not count? What about flash animation that just moves around still images on sticks? Where does it stop?
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I love this show. Structurally it's like a 16-bit 90's SNES JRPG brought to life by puppetry. The story moves at a perfect clip, the action is fantastic, and the characters are very likable and mature. Spiritually it's the sort of work I can very much identify with, and I look forward to watching the show every week. Just a great show all around so far, I hope it keeps it up!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
So glad the review reminds us who each character is (Lancer, Archer, etc). I honestly can't keep track of them and only remember two, though if you asked me to spell them I wouldn't be able to.

Anyway, beautiful series. The story itself is nothing we haven't seen from other Chinese stories, but the way it's presented is absolutely breathtaking. Even my dad is enjoying the series! (That says a LOT.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11