• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Details Seraph of the End Anime's Collector's Edition, Reveals Ergo Proxy Blu-ray D

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Well thankfully I never got around to getting the limited edition of Seraph of the end so now I can get this fantastic collectors edition. Man I'm going to be broke come Christmas thanks to all of the CE that Funimation is releasing lately. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh, they brought Ergo Proxy to Blu Ray? Neat!
Naniwa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:

Funi hasn't released separate LE's for multi cour shows in years. I'm assuming the Seraph of the End LE Part 1 works the say way as every other multi cour show released in the past few years with a filler box made to be removed and have part 2 inserted in it's place. So the part 1 LE is actually the LE for an entire show its just that the 2nd cour is sold separately.

So simplified there are 3 ways to purchase this show. Buy the standard part 1 and 2 sets. Buy the LE part 1 set with space meant to hold the standard part 2 release or this newly announced CE that includes both halves.

Though I do agree it being a fiasco as many people probably bought the LE and now see a fancier CE.

Oh I see, that makes more sense. Yup there's people who bought limited part 1 and now they want to buy the collector's and they don't know what to do with the edition they already have. On my case I bought the UK version since I'm european, so I'll just wait for Universal to release part 2 and buy that one too. But this kind of annoyed me a bit also because the box is so pretty, and if I knew this a few months ago maybe I would have considered importing the US version instead, since I own a multizone bluray player. Too late now Sad
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
I need to re-watch "Ergo Proxy" and make sure I still like it before getting that BD set. Sure hope my opinion of it hasn't done a complete 180 in the past 6-7 years.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
OK, I have to ask now - are those two guys (the blonde and black hair dudes) actually in love with each other in the series? I've seen a ton of fan art about them, but I've only seen the first episode of Seraph and was quickly bored. Just curious.

Laughing Well, they were raised in the same orphanage as "brothers,"...so, obviously the answer is yes, absolutely, they are passionately in love, but they can only express their love within the confines of R-18 doujinshi, because unluckily for them, they are stuck in a Shonen Jump title! Very Happy (I know that Seraph is a monthly title, not sure what it runs in in Japan, but it gets published in Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump every month)
I quite like Seraph, but more to the level of "I want to follow the manga from where the anime leaves off," and not the level of "I want to get Collector's Editions of the anime." That Universal set released in the UK looked awesome, though, and it wasn't priced the same way other Japanese companies price their shows in overseas markets (Aniplex, Pony Canyon). Very tempting...
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
I haven't checked out Seraph yet, but that is a very nice looking collectors edition. Tempted to watch it just to see if I should buy this Smile

I already have Ergo Proxy on DVD, but it's currently backlogged and I haven't felt like watching it, so I don't think I'll pick up the BD.

There's a typo on Funimation's name in the 2nd to last paragraph. Guess CC is hitting hard this year.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
aeris14 wrote:
I'm still waiting On Mobile Suite Gundam Wing on Blu-Ray.

Different company. Rightstuf has the rights to that one, not Funimation. Expect it sometime in the next two years, judging by the pace of their Gundam releases so far.

Probably at least that long, the BD hasn't even been announced in Japan yet.

pajmo9 wrote:
VanGosroth wrote:

Man. I'm still waiting for Funi to release Crest of the Stars and Ryvius.!!! COME ON.

I really hope when they do announce the release of the Stars series they also announce they have acquired Banner of the Stars 3.

If it gets a nice BD release, I'd love to upgrade my set, or just as good, pick up whatever Bandai never released, like BotS 3. Come on Funi, keep moving through those license rescues.
Looks like it's still DVD only in Japan though, so I guess a nice BD release might be a ways off, if ever -_-
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:36 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
aeris14 wrote:
I'm still waiting On Mobile Suite Gundam Wing on Blu-Ray.

Different company. Rightstuf has the rights to that one, not Funimation. Expect it sometime in the next two years, judging by the pace of their Gundam releases so far.

Probably at least that long, the BD hasn't even been announced in Japan yet.

The gorgeous Japanese Blu-ray release of the TV series and both versions of Endless Waltz that is sitting among the rest of my imports says, "what the heck are you talking about?"
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:28 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah Ergo Proxy in BD! I hope they make a good job of this release.

Agree with those asking for a Stars saga BD release. Including the 3rd part. And While they're at it, the should also do a BD of Texhnolyze.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
I have Ergo Proxy on DVD but I will be selling it and upgrading to Bluray when this drops. This gives me hope for a Bluray release of Initial D Stages 1-4, Shuffle!, and Love Hina with the specials.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
That CE for Seraph of the End looks fantastic! This is one of the few Funimation special editions releases that is actually worth it. But, like others here, I did not like the show enough to want to own it.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
Reeeeeeally want that art book ugh. Guess I'll save up for Seraph.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Actually, I think the update at the end of the article is also somewhat incorrect. Funimation did not acquire the rights to Ergo Proxy from Geneon when Geneon USA folded its tent. Rather Funi was hired to distribute the remaining stock of Geneon USA titles while Geneon retained the licenses.

I don't see myself double-dipping for this show. The DVDs are pretty good, and since the masters are from 2006, it's unlikely the show was produced in better than 480p resolution.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you. If the release is some sort of limited edition, then i'll have to buy it, but I won't worry about a bare bones blu ray release. If I read a review or comparison that says the blu-ray has incredibly better quality video, then i'd consider it. The series is 10 years old, after all.
Funi did tweet it as "10th Anniversary Blu-ray", so there's hope that they may do something. At most what they did with Noein which was give it an LE box, and maybe...maybe some crappy art cards like Noein had.

yuna49 wrote:
I don't see myself double-dipping for this show. The DVDs are pretty good, and since the masters are from 2006, it's unlikely the show was produced in better than 480p resolution.
Supposedly it was an HD broadcast and not upscale for JPN BD:

Screen shots via FandomPost/mania.com

Its noticeably sharper to my eyes, but it was never a brightly colored show so I don't think we can expect a lot of eye popping color.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
^Looks better,though it's not a show I would watch again. Starts good,and then just aimlessly moves along it until they realize it needs to end. It doesn't know what it wants to be at all.
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
^Looks better,though it's not a show I would watch again. Starts good,and then just aimlessly moves along it until they realize it needs to end. It doesn't know what it wants to be at all.

I think it knew exactly what it wanted to be. Maybe it just wasn't to your liking.

Depending on the extras, I might be picking this one up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3