• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Missouri Police: Armed Robbers Used Pokémon GO to Lure Victims

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersqueak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah Pokemon Go could cause all kinds of problems. I find myself stopping at Pokestops late at night for the items and the lure modules but I don't get off and socialize or anything. Kids are hanging out in parking lots late at night in front of pokestops. I don't know how business owners must feel about this? I mean would they be happy for the extra traffic or worry about the crime it could bring? I know eventually somebody is going to get in real trouble with the law or something for looking like a suspicious character. I mean I find myself crawling through gaps in fences and loitering around places i don't belong occasionally if I was an African American man I would no doubt be subject to some sort of police brutality. Lol I caught an Eevee in the womens restroom of my campus today and I wonder if a guy would be tempted enough to venture in there if there was a good enough Pokemon. Still so much fun though.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:45 am Reply with quote
supersqueak wrote:
Lol I caught an Eevee in the womens restroom of my campus today and I wonder if a guy would be tempted enough to venture in there if there was a good enough Pokemon. Still so much fun though.

Your radar goes up to 40m at its widest. You shouldn't have to go into bathrooms to be able to catch a Pokémon lol just tap it when it's within radius.

This game is great. I've mapped out the PokéStops in my neighborhood and drive the route nightly. I nab a good amount of items I haven't had to make any microtransaction purchases yet. There is a nice little childrens park in the community next to mine where I stop and walk through to hunt. I have yet to experience any "cars parked next to me/driving 10mph in front of me" stories yet. I can see how this game may potentially cause accidents. I see a lot of pictures posted to Facebook of players catching Pokémon in their cars (the Pokémon are on the dashboard or floating above it and it looks hilarious) I hope they were not driving. I will never be found doing that lol terrible idea.

One thing I'm sad about...everyone has sold out of Pokémon GO Plus Bluetooth devices. I did not pre order and I regret it.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
It is a shame people would use this game for ill will but there are always those types. It shouldn't ruin people's fun. You just need to have common sense. I wouldn't go out late at night in a deserted area just to catch Pokemon.

I am actually lucky. There is a playground across from my house with tons of Pokestops. And next to my work there is also a park with tons of spots. Also just the route to work has tons. It's gotten me to get off a bit early from the subway (if I am not running late) so I can catch more Pokestops. It's good exercise.

But the real kicker is my desk at work has access to a Pokestop and I have caught tons of Pokemon just sitting at my desk at work. Mostly I caught Zubats (which seem to really love my desk). But I also caught a Eevee, Meowth, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Jigglypuff, & more at my work desk.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
KilluaX3 wrote:
Treeborn wrote:
I'm so sick of this trend. Everywhere I go, it's " Look what was in my bed the whole time! I caught an Eve, my life is complete! Jelly much??? Me and my coworkers are so bad!" Cripes. Even at my job, my chapters customers try to convince me to download the app. Takes all my restraint to maintain a fake smile. Enough.

They are having fun

This app is actually the dream come true of most people who grew up in that generation and even the kids of this generation start to feel the hype.

The app is actually amazing. You have to consider that there will be huge improvements as time goes
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
This game app made the front page of our local paper this morning. A welcome change from all that is going on otherwise.

At breakfast my wife mentioned that her sister had her grandchildren over and they wanted to walk to the local park to catch some. It seems they are everywhere.
Yamaji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
I heard someone found a dead body because of this app. Totally insane.

Teenage girl stumbled onto a dead body down by a river in Wyoming.Police don't suspect foul play but I'm sure it traumatized her just the same. Be careful and be aware of your surroundings. Stay safe
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
This is why I don't like the news.

People are blatantly illogical, regardless of how much they beg to differ. Most people tend to think in terms of "Impact" rather than "statistics."

So this Pokemon game is the new thing going around. Everyone's doing it. But, oh no! There was one armed robbery that used the app as a lure for it's victims. Obviously this is going in the wrong direction! This app is opening a whole new world of criminal activity!

^ That's how most people react when they hear news like this. Similar to how people are afraid of flying in airplanes because of the disasters they hear about on the news. But they don't realize that the reason they are hearing about these disasters is BECAUSE they so rarely happen. There are thousands of car accidents happening every day around the world. But absolutely no plane disasters. And yet, people are still deathly afraid of planes as opposed to cars. Illogical.

The truth of the matter lies in what ISN'T said in the news article. How many people have this Pokemon app? Let me answer that: A lot! Enough that Nintendo's stocks rose a dramatic 20%! Millions upon millions of people are running around with this app. But there was ONE instance of a robbery. The robbery has more impact than some kid leisurely walking around his town. That's why people react so knee-jerkily.

This robbery isn't the start of some new trend. It's just an unfortunate statistic. Nothing more.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
A welcome change from all that is going on otherwise.

At breakfast my wife mentioned that her sister had her grandchildren over and they wanted to walk to the local park to catch some. It seems they are everywhere.

A welcome diversion indeed. My sister tells me that a certain desirable Pokemon resides atop her desk at her workplace, causing all manner of disruptions from eager colleagues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
It was only a matter of time. "hey kid, you can catch a mewtwo in that black van over there"
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Someone already made the catching a mew in a van joke already.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
Ingress players were major contributors to Pokemon Go spawn locations

Why your church, art, and water towers are Pokemon Go gyms and Pokestops

• Whether it's your local church, an art installation, a public library, or just a big ol' water tower, Pokemon Go has chosen some … interesting locations for its Pokestops and gyms. They're not random, but they're also somewhat scattershot in their placement. One neighborhood could be bursting at the seams with Pokestops and gyms, while another could be a desolate wasteland. So what's the deal? It turns out, a lot of Pokemon Go's designs can be traced back to Google.

While Pokemon Go may be the first time many players have heard of developer Niantic Labs, it's a studio that traces its lineage back to Google (whose parent company is now known as "Alphabet"). Niantic was once part of Google, and its founder and CEO, John Hanke, worked on the technology that powers Google Maps. That tech was used in Niantic's previous game, Ingress. And Ingress, much like a Metapod becoming Butterfree, has evolved - in its own way - to become Pokemon Go.

Much like Pokemon Go, Ingress is a game of geolocation. Players must travel to specific locations to capture portals, which link with other captured sites to form zones controlled by whichever faction holds those points. Hanke and his team chose some of the first portals based on sites with historical or cultural significance, such as The Washington Monument, Big Ben, or longstanding museums.

Ingress players also provided Niantic with locations which they thought would be excellent portals, with 15 million worldwide submissions in all. Five million were approved, with some portals located at the North Pole and Antarctica.

This data helped Niantic get things rolling with Pokemon Go. The most popular Ingress portals are now gyms while other locations are PokeStops.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3