• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. Films' English Dub Casts Mona Marshall, Cristina Vee, Kate Higgins

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
It's good to hear that old Josh Seth is returning to dub his old role. It's been a long time since he's done anything. This'll be very interesting to say the least.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
NitroNeon wrote:
It doesn't look like Saban are the ones behind this Tri dub so I don't think we'll have that problem moving forward. I am confused by the choice to use a replacement soundtrack though.

It's not that surprising since Toei was also in charge of the Data Squad dub which IIRC, also had a new soundtrack.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
I guess this is what people were afraid of; an altered dub with changed music and names and the old voice actors rather than entirely new and faithful dub. Shame. Guess this is what Digimon is destined to be in America.

-Stuart Smith

lol I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully we can get a sub only release or something when its released. wont hold my breath though.

Does the home release even have to do a separate sub-only release? They may be changing the music and the script, but there's no indication they're cutting any footage. So long as they aren't, it could definitely be a bilingual release.

For example, Yu-Gi-Oh Bonds Beyond Time had a punched-up script and changed the BGM, but the R1 DVD was still able to include the Japanese track since the footage itself wasn't edited.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
I guess this is what people were afraid of; an altered dub with changed music and names and the old voice actors rather than entirely new and faithful dub. Shame. Guess this is what Digimon is destined to be in America.

-Stuart Smith

lol I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully we can get a sub only release or something when its released. wont hold my breath though.

Does the home release even have to do a separate sub-only release? They may be changing the music and the script, but there's no indication they're cutting any footage. So long as they aren't, it could definitely be a bilingual release.

For example, Yu-Gi-Oh Bonds Beyond Time had a punched-up script and changed the BGM, but the R1 DVD was still able to include the Japanese track since the footage itself wasn't edited.

Err, Josh, could've sworn I told you this, but I'll respond to people who aren't aware of this.

Basically, the R1/BD release of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Beyond Beyond Time movie had two different video tracks: One that was the dub, had a modified logo, and featured (if I recall correctly) the edited cards. The second, was the completely unedited (or well, "unedited", you'll see in a second) video track for the Japanese version. One small problem: It was hardsubbed.

Now, mind you. To my knowledge, Cinedigm's release is identical to the one released over in the UK, which also featured hardsubs for the Japanese track. I largely suspect 4Kids (at the time) assumed that the rights holder wanted "forced" subtitles (considering how close the release was to the Japanese one), and 4Kids just took it as to embed the subtitles in the video, rather than realizing that they only had to do soft subs that were just forced on screen, rather than burned into the video. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, the same video footage was used on Cinedigm's release of the movie. Though, truth be told, given the fact Cinedigm honestly can't figure out how to do dual audio (or proper subs for that matter), given Saint Seiya and Slam Dunk, maybe this was the lesser of two evils.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4