• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Death Note Filming Spotted in Vancouver

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navycherub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I like the look so far. It isn't ignoring the original story, just updating it for our current culture - L looks like he came right out of Watchdogs or Mr. Robot, which is a sensible update.

purplepolecat wrote:
The Vancouver Art Gallery exterior has been in so many movies and TV shows. It's been used several times as the courthouse in Arrow.

Vancouver is basically Seattle's stunt double.

You could say Vancouver is the stunt double for every major city and then some.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Ahah black L looks so edgy with that hoody.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
But who's the old bloke who's gonna try to blackmail marry Misa model?
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

No more silly and ridiculous than speaking to a bunch of law enforcement representatives through a computer screen with the letter L emblazoned on it and with a digitized voice.

But again, having L hide behind a screen, where you know nothing about his identity, makes him a more mysterious and fascinating character. L speaking to the police through a computer monitor can actually be taken seriously. Having someone in a mask giving a public speech is not a scenario I can ever imagine taking seriously.

As some have mentioned, it could be an identity twist, so I'll withhold final judgement until the movie comes out. But if this is being played straight, then we can probably expect a pretty dumb movie.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I think that could be the imposter-L and not L himself as others have said.

That moment was just so cool in the manga and anime, that I really do believe the film adaptation will retain that scene. It's one of the first times that Light gets the wind knocked out of his sails and highlights L's audacity and cleverness thus establishing the rival.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Again, a very interesting take on L. The core of a reclusive detective is there but it's put him into broad daylight. I hope this is good but respects the source material. We'll see.

O America...
Enturax

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Wait... L is black and gives publical speeches? Eh.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Well that outfit certainly makes him seem like he'd be a reclusive nut so I'd have to say I'm actually pretty happy with how silly this looks Laughing

Same here.

Hoping this can be an interesting take on the source material, honoring the spirit of what made Death Note so compelling, without it having to be a slavish recreation of the manga's events (as much as I enjoyed them).

Changing L's ethnicity is a bit of a shock but I'm open to it so long as the actor can capture L's personality and presence within the series. Very Happy
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that L could just be a body double for a plot twist which would be cool but that's not what I'm worried about. What I'm really worried about is what will Ryuk look like will he look anything like his Anime/Manga counterpart or will he be redesigned entirely. Confused
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
holy shit! they are actually gonna go through with this? call me excited for this. It's always interesting when a live adaptation is given to an anime. (for better or wrose)

I want to give netflix and whoever is actually producing this the benefit of the doubt. i really do believe that they can make a good product out of this.

now,what happens to ryuk? will shinigami actually play a role in this?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
I don't care about this movie, but I just hope that their "Seattle" looks more accurate than Agents of SHIELD's did. AoS named specific streets, and I was like "uh, that's NOTHING like what that area of downtown looks like..."
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Everyone seems to forget that the person Light publicly murdered in the belief it was L was named Lind L. Tailor. Just saying. As for this scene, I guess it makes more sense for the public to believe L if they saw him in person, which is why he does this, and if Light doesn't outright murder a person on TV the audience will not immediately deem L's side good. We will, of course, just have to speculate until then.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
I like the look so far. It isn't ignoring the original story, just updating it for our current culture - L looks like he came right out of Watchdogs or Mr. Robot, which is a sensible update.

Watchdogs and Mr. Robot is exactly what I thought of as well.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:16 am Reply with quote
I really like L's posture when he walks. This actor definitely has the whole "brilliant but low-energy detective" look down.

Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Plot twist: this guy is actually not L but the dude that Light publicly murders.

Or it's Watari! (That'd be weird though.)

Oneeyedjacks wrote:
But again, having L hide behind a screen, where you know nothing about his identity, makes him a more mysterious and fascinating character. L speaking to the police through a computer monitor can actually be taken seriously. Having someone in a mask giving a public speech is not a scenario I can ever imagine taking seriously.

The scenario as seen when discussing with law enforcement with that laptop Watari brought in I would consider as one of the early ridiculous things about the series, and THAT I couldn't take seriously. This L, as seen in the photos, looks like someone who might actually exist in our world. Or at least more respectful of the authority figures he would want to work with.

Perhaps it's also a difference in culture. In the manga, L is a recluse. Recluses in Japan seem to be pretty common and at least somewhat tolerated. Recluses in the United States, where large amounts of socialization is required to function in daily life and introversion is associated with mass murders and school shootings ("he was such a quiet boy, always kept to himself"), have a much more negative reputation. Considering this version of Death Note is set in the United States, I don't think someone who completely hides any images of himself will be tolerated or seen as anything other than a wacko nutjob by the local police.
DaisukeReds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, this looks awful already.
And quite surprised with above commentators saying it looks cool.. what are you looking at?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3