• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Gets New ViVid Strike! TV Anime Series in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
Sango chan wrote:
..........what's the point of still going with this series? They just scrapped the two main characters that started this whole franchise. As A Nanoha fan for a long time, I was happy to see this. Then I read the comments stating that Yukari is no longer with the people recording this and that she left on a bad note. That made me sad. I didn't know this went down. And that really disappointed me. I really loved the interaction's between Nanoha, Fate and Vivio. It was adorable, but now they just ripped it all away.....

and who is that Person in the picture that sure isn't Vivio. She's Blonde. It looks kinda like Nanoha from the back but the clothes and everything is different. don't tell me they're making a character sort of look like Nanoha, change her name and make her the new important character in Nanoha's place. That's another humongous kick to the gut......

And I just Noticed. this is the first time Nana isn't singing the Opening song in a Nanoha series. Why didn't they bring Fate back? did Nana leave too or something? and also usually In Nanoha the Two people who Sing the opening and closing songs are the main main characters. You're telling me the two names I don't recognize are going to be the "replacements" for Nanoha and Fate?

if you can't have Nanoha,why bothering with only Fate?it would feel hollow,and they are probably aware of this...
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
Sango chan wrote:
And I just Noticed. this is the first time Nana isn't singing the Opening song in a Nanoha series. Why didn't they bring Fate back? did Nana leave too or something? and also usually In Nanoha the Two people who Sing the opening and closing songs are the main main characters. You're telling me the two names I don't recognize are going to be the "replacements" for Nanoha and Fate?

No, Nana is still with the KR, and she's really busy with the Symphogear.

But yeah, it seems like they wanted to exclude the MSLN name from the franchise just because all that things that happened with Yukarin.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:45 am Reply with quote
Sango chan wrote:
..........what's the point of still going with this series? They just scrapped the two main characters that started this whole franchise.

Strictly speaking, they weren't. Nanoha itself is based on a spinoff of Triangle Hearts. And if you want to argue that that was something entirely separate or something then, well, they stripped the "mahou shoujo lyrical" part from this so by that logic this is itself something entirely new.

And honestly, I think freeing itself from the original duo and hopefully the entire previous storyline/timeline could be a good thing.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
lucio542 wrote:

Seven arcs again, so good to see this, i don't liked the A-1 pictures version.

Perhaps we will actually get a simulcast of this one. ViVid appeared to run afoul of being an Aniplex of Japan title that AoA opted not to license. The same was true for Dog Days''.
Wrong

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
ZodiacBeast wrote:
Hmm...what if the girl in the picture is Vivio, but this time she's Nanoha's biological daughter? That way you can "have both at once". Mommy's too busy with work to show up, but her legacy lives on.

I think it's actually Vivio and Einhart's daughter.
If this is the StrikerS equivalent of Vivid then it could be safe to assume it's set quite a while after Vivid, maybe even long enough that Nanoha and Fate might not be in the picture any more (explaining their absence).

Also her Barrier Jacket is a mixture of Einhart, Nanoha's and Vivio's, the Device is a lighter Asteion and her hair is with the ribbon feels very Nanoha.

The daughter of Vivio-mama and Einhart-mama who maybe Idolises her Grandmother? Anime smile
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
Wrong wrote:

I think it's actually Vivio and Einhart's daughter.
If this is the StrikerS equivalent of Vivid then it could be safe to assume it's set quite a while after Vivid, maybe even long enough that Nanoha and Fate might not be in the picture any more (explaining their absence).

Also her Barrier Jacket is a mixture of Einhart, Nanoha's and Vivio's, the Device is a lighter Asteion and her hair is with the ribbon feels very Nanoha.

The daughter of Vivio-mama and Einhart-mama who maybe Idolises her Grandmother? Anime smile

That... makes complete sense, and it would also jump over the ill talked about FORCE era of events.

Though it is sad to here the REAL reason we aren't getting many of the old cast is because of burning bridges between talent and studio as well agencies being abusive to there own staff.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, even if you want to time leap like nobody's business, it is hard to see how you can accomplish this series without somehow having Nanoha and Fate in it. Washed out stills of them in flashbacks, or worse not showing them at all, just seems like the makings of a very hollow series. Forget the nostalgia or whatever for the old characters - the level of involvement that they had in the preceding story, the level at which they were idolized by everyone involved in the story, makes it very awkward to imagine a story wherein this new character is constantly going to be going to be evoking reminders of a character that will never be given dialogue of any sort.

I know in general there are often mixed feelings about this, but why not just get a different VA? If they're already asking that the audience recognize the stylistic nods to Nanoha and Fate in the character design, likely in the naming, and everything else, but accept that for reasons of a falling out with the original VA, is it so much of a stretch to forego most of that and just ask the audience to accept a different voice?

Maybe it's just me, but that would lead me to think that any choices made about what story to go with and all that was based more on thinking about other factors, not a falling out with a voice actress - that spending another 12-13 episodes on a tournament that has little to no greater narrative value than itself, or the much maligned Force, were not particularly favorable ways of capitalizing on what is hoped to be a still viable license.
Storm101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Who thought this was a good idea? How are they even making money off of this? They never released the BDs to Vivid and I can't imagine this new series going over well with fans at all. I could maybe understand trying something new if Vivid was a flop, but it doesn't look like it was even given a chance.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Nanoha was a token tertiary fan service character in ViVid to start with, it's not like her exclusion has a huge effect on the story. (Or that she even would rank high enough to have her VA listed in a straight s2 if her name wasn't on the show)

I think Tamura's exit from King Records is likely overdramatized . They didn't want her to leave because she has been hugely successful with them and the suddenness of it created problems but that doesn't mean it was generally unprofessional. The problem is that Nanoha was a franchise built to sell Nana Mizuki and Yukari Tamura products, making it nearly impossible to justify its budget anymore. Making a clean break to focus on their successors is the only way to make a business case for using the setting and concepts and making something to at least sort of honor the promise of more ViVid anime.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

This looks to be something completely new, not the second season to the previous one.

I could live with that, VIvid was more Slice of Life than it was Action-Show. It was kind of boring when you look in contrast to the rest of the Nanoha franchise, which also made it feel weird.

jirg1901 wrote:

Making a clean break to focus on their successors is the only way to make a business case for using the setting and concepts and making something to at least sort of honor the promise of more ViVid anime.

Not that it is really hard to do in the Nanoha franchise. By StrikerS, Nana Mizuki and Yukari Tamura characters are all but written out. A reboot would not be all that unexpected either since, ViVid didn't revive the franchise in it's current state (which is a bit of a mess).
amc9988

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:49 am Reply with quote
So... whatever happened to the 3rd nanoha's movie? Cancelled I guess?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/17947/Mahou_Shoujo_Lyrical_Nanoha__The_Movie_3rd_Reflection
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
amc9988 wrote:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/17947/Mahou_Shoujo_Lyrical_Nanoha__The_Movie_3rd_Reflection

Judging from the complicated events that led to ViVid Strike not featuring the two starring characters, it's sadly looking to be the case.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
I think I'm just going to flush the franchise, since the reason I liked it as much as I did was Nanoha, and she's not in it anymore (apparently). Kinda sad to see what a train wreck the franchise has become, but it looks like, for me, the time has come to move on.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
amc9988 wrote:

The situation has been covered rather thoroughly in this very thread. There's nothing official but all evidence suggests it's never going to materialize. They probably won't actually announce a cancellation and will instead just continue to say nothing about it ever again.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
So, is there a manga finishing up the plot of the TV show that aired last year? And no, ViViD was not slice of life, it was a martial arts type of show (kinda like Dragonball but with cuter characters).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4