• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Manga to End in 74th Volume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BVerfG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Somewhere wrote:
Bleach getting axed is a head scratcher for sure. Toriko wouldn't be too big a loss now though; World Trigger's already overtaken it anyway.
At least, Toriko should end soon; either the upcoming round, or the one after. It's currently in what should be the final battle, and it very noticeably rushed to get to this point.
Toriko and Nisekoi are the two next WSJ ending, I guess.

It's more surprising that Bleach lasted this long. The only thing it had going for it were somewhat okay-ish Volume sales. It has been consistently at the bottom of the rankings for months, if not years. Next things to axe (if you look at the rankings): Nisekoi, Toriko, Gintama. All kinda famous titles, so it will be interesting what the replacements will look like.
redranger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
I used to love Bleach but it's been garbage since the end of the soul society arc. I will be happy to see it end for the simple fact that it will (hopefully) be replaced by something else in the american WSJ. I want to get my money's worth. Now let's hope nisekoi, toriko and shit piece end soon as well.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
It's kind of funny that Bleach will end up being two volumes longer than Naruto, but with such a seemingly sudden & fanfare-less ending announcement, I can't see Bleach being given the extremely rare full-color final chapter.

Naruto earned being a part of that super-elite club, alongside Ring ni Kakero, Dragon Ball, & Slam Dunk, while One Piece & Kochikame are both obvious future inductions whenever each one ends, but if Bleach ever had been a real contender to get the full-color finale, it's long lost that invitation. I'd say that, had Kubo ended the manga with the final fight with Aizen, Bleach might have been given that special treatment, but even by then Kubo had been trying fans' patience for a long time.

At least Bleach got a full color chapter when it was at it's best (chapter 162, when ichigo went bankai for the first time)
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
It's a shame this is getting axed (which is really the only way to view this), but this is what happens when you have some good ideas, but then can't plot out a complete story with them. It seems to me that Kubo has been flailing around for a way to develop his ideas until they reached a worthwhile ending, but wasn't up to the task.

I was hoping to see how it all turned out, but now it looks like at best we'll see a rush job, and at worse just a total mess.

Oh, and I'd be shocked to see any new anime for this series.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
BVerfG wrote:
It's more surprising that Bleach lasted this long. The only thing it had going for it were somewhat okay-ish Volume sales. It has been consistently at the bottom of the rankings for months, if not years.

This is some ridiculous mental gymnastics. The thing is a media franchise. You can't compare it to newer series that have achieved less, and thus have less stake in their being around. This is one of Shueisha's biggest titles ever. In terms of dollars produced, it's right there with JoJo's, and most likely more given international success.

I mean. this very site reports weekly manga sales. "Weekly" means "every week." I don't know how you can look at any of those lists where BLEACH came out that week and label the tank sales "okay-ish".
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see it end but at the same time it had to be done.

Its funny because each arc played like its own seperate series but by some conincidence had the same characters. Comparing the first arc with the current one and you can see the vast difference in how everything is presented.

One of Kubo's issues was that he had all this stuff on the table but he just couldn't find a way to put it all together. Oda in comparison could take a character/plot point that appeared in chapter 171 and make them comeback in chapter 639 and it would be relevant in some way. Kubo tries to but it falls flat or goes nowhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
On the bright side, maybe with so few chapters left, he'll finally start putting more than 2-3 panels per page.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
voltwaffle wrote:
Is it actually going to fully end or are they gonna just pull out a "new" manga like Kishimoto did with Boruto.

If you're referring to that new Boruto manga, Kishimoto isn't even working on that.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Despite the fact that I don't even really enjoy reading this anymore, I still want to see how it ends. I think I'll start reading it from the beginning again at some point.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
NateSelwyn25 wrote:
Thank the gods it's over. Most people say it should have ended with Aizen, and I agree, because the final thing with Aizen was already a drop in story quality, in my opinion. Kubo is definitely a one-hit wonder, we won't be seeing much of him again.

There's about a 0.0005% chance of getting a revived anime: The ratings when the anime was cancelled were dreadful and the DVD sales here in the States weren't so hot either. Given how obscenely long this arc has been, I don't the animation studio is interested in trying to create a 60 or 75 episode anime with this.

ummm that's bullshit on the US DVD sales, Bleach was Viz's second best seller here in the states
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
NateSelwyn25 wrote:
Thank the gods it's over. Most people say it should have ended with Aizen, and I agree, because the final thing with Aizen was already a drop in story quality, in my opinion. Kubo is definitely a one-hit wonder, we won't be seeing much of him again.

There's about a 0.0005% chance of getting a revived anime: The ratings when the anime was cancelled were dreadful and the DVD sales here in the States weren't so hot either. Given how obscenely long this arc has been, I don't the animation studio is interested in trying to create a 60 or 75 episode anime with this.

ummm that's bullshit on the US DVD sales, Bleach was Viz's second best seller here in the states

Don't even bother, they will write whatever it takes to shit talk bleach and make up a lot of fake statistics to make it seem the series is dead. That's the Ann community
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
I shall miss Bleach, as an incomprehensible as the last few years may have been it's has been an...eventful ride.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
IT's not really Kubo's fault for how the stories going, and people like to complain a lot but they should be blaming the editors for getting in kubo's way a lot of times.

RIP that arc dedicated to ichigo's friends that he told us his editors shafted.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
I used to love Bleach but it's been garbage since the end of the soul society arc. I will be happy to see it end for the simple fact that it will (hopefully) be replaced by something else in the american WSJ. I want to get my money's worth. Now let's hope nisekoi, toriko and shit piece end soon as well.

You have attempted to trash talk One Piece. All your opinions are now invalid.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
KilluaX3 wrote:
5 more chapters left...

I came to that estimate from looking at the number of chapters per volume as well as the fact that 6 of them are already out. It wasn't hard to tell that this was the end of the line. I'm not sure what to say other than goodbye to this once great series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7