• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Manga Adds Dragon Ball Super, Gundam Thunderbolt, Rei Tōma's The Water Dragon's Bride

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
macloud wrote:
Kinda suprised that Thunderbolt is being released by Viz - was Vertical not interested i wonder? or maybe they were wary of licencing an [as yet] unfinished series? Confused

Viz Media is jointly owned by Japanese publishers Shueisha, Shogakukan, and Shogakukan-Shueisha Productions. Vertical is unable to license or acquire series from those publishers because of this.

CoreSignal wrote:
Keep in mind that was back in the late 90s-early 2000's. Times have changed and the US market for Gundam is much better now than it was back then.

I wouldn't exactly say the US market for Gundam is much better now. Back in the day it was saturated with model kits and action figures at almost all major retailers. Now you're lucky if you find kits (and a select few) outside of Barnes and Noble.

Also, Viz's Gundam releases were strictly in the 2000s. There was no release in the late 90s.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
macloud wrote:
Kinda suprised that Thunderbolt is being released by Viz - was Vertical not interested i wonder? or maybe they were wary of licencing an [as yet] unfinished series? Confused

Shogakukan, which owns Viz, publishes the magazine that Thunderbolt is serialized in, so Viz probably has priority on the license. The one exception I can think of, the Gantz manga is published by Shueisha, which also owns Viz, but oddly enough Dark Horse published Gantz in the US.

Deacon Blues wrote:
I wouldn't exactly say the US market for Gundam is much better now. Back in the day it was saturated with model kits and action figures at almost all major retailers. Now you're lucky if you find kits (and a select few) outside of Barnes and Noble.

Also, Viz's Gundam releases were strictly in the 2000s. There was no release in the late 90s.

I was referring to Gundam shows specifically and not model kits. Though Gundam model kits in the US haven't exploded or anything, at least for Gundam shows, I feel like we've gotten more English Gundam releases in the past two years then we have in the past decade. The success of the Origin manga, having IBO on Toonami, and Sunrise's promise to release every Gundam show in English tells me the US market is definitely bigger now than in the past.

Viz started publishing the Gundam 0079 manga in 1999, just that it was in American comic-style single issues:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/1998-12-21/viz-announces-4-99-releases

Otherwise, yeah, all of Viz's Gundam manga in book format started in the 2000s.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah Utena box set! I 'll be getting that!
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Super Manga, GREAT! been wanting that since it was announced

shame that Toei are still so stubborn about licensing Anime, the know FUNi will do good job and they know that the western Dragon Ball fans want it but still they don't give it to us

as a Dragon Ball fan it's SO frustrating Mad

of course they could be waiting until FUNi release DBZ Kai Buu Arc?
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Really, they're going to re-release Rurouni Kenshin in omnibus format again? Confused

It's safe to assume that this will be in the $15 USD omnibus format with the crappier quality paper. Buy the VizBigs while you still can, folks!

Seeing the Utena manga getting a re-release was a nice surprise, though. Interesting still is that Viz is taking a stab at Gundam once more. Whether it will see success similar to Gundam: The Origin is up in the air.

Rei Toma's new work I'll read whenever my library picks it up. I did enjoy Dawn of the Arcana.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
I don't mean to be the one whiner in the thread (well, kind of), but damn, I was hoping they would license Snow White with the Red Hair. Sad

I guess there's still time, though.

I've got my fingers crossed.

I always thought that Snow White would be going out right alongside Yona of the Dawn, both manga and anime.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Excited for Dragon Ball Super and Arc-V, and I know a lot of people who will be overjoyed for Gundam and Utena. Now new fans can read Rurouni Kenshin, too.

definitely this is a first. never expect viz manga to ever license a gundam series before since its usually dark horse comics to get dark like mangas like these.

regardless,its definitely a good sign since gundam mangas in the US have been up in the air after bandai went six feet under.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2