• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Reveals More Characters, Cast, 2017 Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
I think "Light Turner" is supposed to be some sort of crappy pun or meaningful name.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:28 am Reply with quote
"Turner" and a black L? We"ll see how this would turn out soon.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
If Netflix can give us a good Voltron and Daredevil show, I hope this won't be too bad. I do wonder how they will pull this off.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
Well I don't have a problem with the cast so long as the movie is good and doesn't stray too far from the source material. Smile
navycherub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I think "Light Turner" is supposed to be some sort of crappy pun or meaningful name.

There are a lot of "crappy puns" that are also "meaningful names" in anime you probably never think about because you don't speak or read Japanese. Yagami comes from the kanji for "night" and "god,"** and I guarantee you "Nightgod" or whatever would be the worst nave ever despite being basically the same thing*. Turner is a pretty apt name in that respect, by both being a crappy pun and a meaningful name.

*not exactly the same thing because of how Japanese works but the idea is there
**Ohba claims this wasn't intentional, but come on, and also if you believe his intentions or not he ended up liking the choice by the end anyway
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote
This looks like it's going to be alright. I think they're going the smart route of leaving the essential elements in there while adapting this to an American setting. I just hope that they keep those weird looking creatures the same as they appeared in the manga. My only real problem with this is it's going to appear on Netflix and I don't have a Netflix account. I hope this gets shown on cable or Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. To me,it would be appropriate if that happened.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:08 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
If Netflix can give us a good Voltron and Daredevil show, I hope this won't be too bad. I do wonder how they will pull this off.

Yeah, Netflix has a really good track record for stuff without Adam Sandler. Although Marco Polo was bleh. But they hit a lot more often than they miss.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Somehow I seem to have missed when Netflix took over this project and now I'm really worried over the prospects of a theatrical release. That's the only way I can imagine seeing this film, figuratively AND literally since there's no chance I'm ever subscribing.

It wouldn't make sense NOT to do it, with the alleged 40 million dollar budget they have to make up the money somehow and I doubt streaming will be sufficient.
CasCrow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
I do not like this cast.
L should be British or something. I wonder if the scene where L abducts and creepily watches Misa(Mia?) for 50+ days will be in it.
They really could have just left the names alone.
I honestly think Zac Efron shoulda been Light.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Somehow I seem to have missed when Netflix took over this project and now I'm really worried over the prospects of a theatrical release. That's the only way I can imagine seeing this film, figuratively AND literally since there's no chance I'm ever subscribing.

It wouldn't make sense NOT to do it, with the alleged 40 million dollar budget they have to make up the money somehow and I doubt streaming will be sufficient.

Netflix has over 75 million subscribers, and as titles stream in perpetuity, Netflix pays the production companies for those streaming rights. Warner Bros. and etc. will make their money back.

Do you not consume any media that isn't anime? What an odd position to be staunch about.
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
Garbage.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Keith Stanfield and Margaret Qualley are perfectly cast and the rest are interesting too. The premium streaming film factor is my only worry. HBO and so on made good ones but even the best had noticeable restriction placed on them (cookie cutter directing). Not that Death Note works as a film. We will see but they are at least giving it a genuine try. I can respect that.
@Beatdigga You need bad content too to have a rounded portfolio. That Sandler deal is making them good money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Do you not consume any media that isn't anime? What an odd position to be staunch about.

There are plenty of people who don't have subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and all those services. As a result shows go completely off the radar for people. Outside of what Anime News Network reports I have no idea what Netflix produces or puts out. The only non anime media I really consume are video games and manga. It's not an uncommon position in this hobby to only watch anime.

I suppose people could always torrent shows and movies, but from what I understand Netflix releases all the episodes at once for binge-watching and to some people downloading an entire season to watch at once isn't very appealing, especially if they have a huge backlog already. I kind of lose interest in checking out a show after it is already ended and when it comes to Netflix the show seems to end of the minute it gets released, at least until next season. It's much more fun to follow it show week by week then than to crank it out in an afternoon. It's also easier to develop a fandom and community if the show goes on for longer than a day.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to see how this will turn out...
IG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Already getting bad vibes about the American Death note given the silly names of Hollywood Light and Misa. Heck, makes me wonder if they will still keep Mi(s)a as an idol, or she ends up being portrayed as a spoiled girl?

IMHO, they should've did like the Japanese and have it take place after the original events. But instead it takes place in the Americas with new characters. That way they can still use the Shinigami (especially Ryuk), and put a spin on their own characters. Problem solved.

But the problem with that the new Death Note filsm are sequel to the live action Japanese series. The original fitrst movies adapted the early maga chapters . Also if you do that your asking people to need read the manga to understand the film?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5