• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Reveals More Characters, Cast, 2017 Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, TURNER. That name already sounds so dull, but paired with a dorky looking actor (Timmy Turner anyone?) and it gives me the impression he's gonna be this loser character. And Mia, they just took of one letter....this cast and names are looking like a botched westernized fanfic.
theycallmekorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
It's not the black part that bugs me about L's casting. The guy just doesn't look expressionless enough. I can't really picture him looking shaggy, dressed sloppily, knees tucked into his chest with a completely flat look on his face. As much as I didn't care for the live action Japanese Death Note movies, at the very least the actor for L in there certainly looked dead ninety percent of the time.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I am interested to see how this turns out.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Fant4stic? Oh yikes, nevermind what I said.

....still interested though.
stararnold

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Honestly, I'm okay with this. If they're moving the setting to America and changing the names, that's okay. It's only when they KEEP the characters Japanese and still have white people play them like Dragonball Evolution and GiTS is when it's really effing racist.
To be fair, Dreamworks has not yet confirmed the full name for the Major in the upcoming U.S. Ghost in the Shell movie or even the cultural background. Therefore, we do not really know if the character's Motoko Kusanagi or a similar-but-western person. It's too early to be judge the casting choice.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Death Note is not an exclusively Japanese story. The themes are universal enough that it can work.

It's not like Adam Sandler is involved or anything.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
An American walking around with the given name "Light" is just silly.

What could be more ridiculous than an American guy with the name "Light"? Maybe... a Japanese guy with the name "Light"?? Laughing

I can't put my finger on it, but race aside, Keith Stanfield does seem to me to have some strange resemblance to L. I feel that way about the rest of the cast too. I'll be cautiously optimistic. Though I'm pretty tolerant of adaptations anyway - it has to take a Dragonball Evolution level screw up to disappoint me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
It isn't problematic that L won't be pasty. It doesn't seem like the casting directors are focusing on having the characters resemble their original anime designs. For another example, Misa is a blonde in the anime, but a brunette here (unless they have the actress dye her hair or wear a wig). I also doubt they'll recreate her fashion sense since that "goth" look would probably look dated for American audiences in the mid-2010s. So if they can change a character's hair color, there's no reason they can't change another one's skin color, especially when moving it to a less racially-homogenous setting.

There are other ways that they can visually indicate that L is a socially-awkward shut-in. After all, there are plenty of Black people who are that, too. Being an awkward nerd is not specific to any race. As for the complaints that the actor is too attractive, these are just their publicity photos. Presumably they'll make him look dweebier in the show.

I like the fact that Death Note is representing actors of different races; I think that's a good way to address worries about white-washing. And I agree with others that I hope that "Mia" is a better-written character than Misa was in the original anime and manga, and that the American version overall sheds a lot of the original's subliminal misogyny. The Japanese live-action moved a little in that direction. It would be nice to see the American version take it even further.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but optimistic all the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
They should also rename the show to Death WordPad and make Light use a Windows Tablet. Anyways, into the trash this goes.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:

Laughed my ASS OFF at "Light Turner" though. You might as well have given him a completely new name. Or, perhaps given him an Anglo first name, and make "Light" his surname. An American walking around with the given name "Light" is just silly.

You really aren't familiar with the stupidity of given names in America are you?

ryanvamp wrote:
Amazing casting, uncanny resemblance. It did wonders for Fant4stic.

Don't know if this was sarcasm but Josh Trank's movie wasn't sanked by bad casting it was sunk by bad writing, bad editing, & bad directing.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Why now? Strike while the iron is hot.

L has fangirls that reach beyond the niche crowd. Hopefully they have good writing.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I find it HILARIOUS that 98% of the people that are whining are whining about L being cast a black person but not the fact that Light isn't Asian.

Everyone acts like this is the first American adaption of an Asian property at this point. Like we haven't had 50zilliion ports by now.

To be perfectly honest with ya I didn't like how they did some of the ANIME adaption of Death Note; that's why I prefer the manga. So I read the manga. No one is forcing anyone to watch this movie.

I'm going to watch it I don't care WHO they cast as long as it pays good homage to the source, adapts it well, and makes for a good movie.
...and L is my favorite of favorite characters, I have a fancy resin statue of him and everything.

(and they say people in the South are racist; funny how I don't give a flying turd that he's black and I'm dead set in the Middle of Alabama)
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Already getting bad vibes about the American Death note given the silly names of Hollywood Light and Misa. Heck, makes me wonder if they will still keep Mi(s)a as an idol, or she ends up being portrayed as a spoiled girl?

IMHO, they should've did like the Japanese and have it take place after the original events. But instead it takes place in the Americas with new characters. That way they can still use the Shinigami (especially Ryuk), and put a spin on their own characters. Problem solved.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
Not sold on L considering that he was the palest thing alive in the original series, nor am I entirely sold on Light. I never expected "Yagami" would have made it into an English adaptation, but "Turner"? Really? I would've gone with "Godwin".
Alcest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
Black L... Good ol' America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5