• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Medaka Box

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
GVentola wrote:
So, I guess this means no third series after Medaka Box Abnormal? And it left off on a cliffhanger! It'd be nice if someone could tell me what happens in the manga (supposing the manga and anime mirror one another). Maybe I can get some closure!

Eh, sorry, it's not that simple.

MB it's not a Manga that somebody can say "This happens" because too much stuff happens, the plot, motivations, characters, the genera, the powers... change constantly as a way of a punchline and critic to WSJ style.

The Manga it's a trainwreck falling into a volcano with Godzilla fighting Bill Cosby on its roof... it's beyond awful yet you can't stop watching because it's so surreal and yet able to deliver a good moral...

My only recomendation it's: Read the Manga.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Ah, it's great to see One Piece collection 16 coming out. Hopefully this means the 4th Amazon collection isn't far behind.
jtron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Medaka Box's anime ends right when the manga really starts getting good. I would love another season, but even more I'd love omnibus editions of the manga here in the US.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but it also made me storm out of the room in a cloud of confusion and frustration.

I can think of only one anime that made me do this (figuratively speaking).

spoiler[Evangelion
]

Animegomaniac wrote:
Dragon Ball was cool. Except for the tournaments.

Uncool unless you hate the prospect of your favorite characters jobbing to others....or a Yamcha fan Razz
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
The Medaka Box manga is genius. One of the most underrated SJ manga ever.

The anime adaption is very lackluster, and stops before things get really good. A shame so many people will never read the manga.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
jtron wrote:
Medaka Box's anime ends right when the manga really starts getting good. I would love another season, but even more I'd love omnibus editions of the manga here in the US.

I'd definitely buy an English release. Didn't really like the 2nd season of the anime, but enjoyed the first one enough to want to get the manga.

Sadly, I don't see anyone licensing the manga...
LightYapper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
Well, as we are now closing in for Sunshine!!, the date for the Love Live Movie does seem fitting to conclude itself. And so, a bit irrelevant to ask this, but Theron, how would you personally rate Love Live as a whole? (Curious since there isn't a review on it from you)
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote
Great set from Minami Kuribayashi at Animelo Summer Live 2012 including the Medaka Box OP, Happy Crazy Box (official PV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnRF_BKuxlQ).

The second OP Believe by Minami Kuribayashi official PV is also available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLApLvL_Fyo.

Third OP (last episode of second series): Want to be the winner! by Emi Ogata https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B1m45s6aco

ED 1, お花畑に連れてって by Aki Toyosaki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBierfKK5go

ED 2, 守護心PARADOX by Aki Misato is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Vp5QGStxc.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I pulled an old Armored Trooper Votoms DVD off my shelf the other day and was only able to recall being amused at how the hero was constantly able to sneak up on the bad guys while wearing a bright orange jumpsuit. Beyond that single impression and a vague idea of the show's premise, I drew a complete blank. From fifty-two episodes of giant robot battles, my brain chose to hang on to an opinion of a character's wardrobe.

Funny, I was watching my Votoms DVDs with my younger brother just last week. My singular impression of that show is usually, "wow, Chirico manages to kill an incredible amount of people in any given episode".
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Funny, I was watching my Votoms DVDs with my younger brother just last week. My singular impression of that show is usually, "wow, Chirico manages to kill an incredible amount of people in any given episode".

...and like Medaka - a great OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2r487PIlI4

How I heard both live at Animelo Summer Live 2012:

Quote:
HAPPY CRAZY BOX / Minami Kuribayashi (Medaka Box OP)
Sign / Ray (Ano Natsu de Matteru OP)
Black Holy / Mikako Komatsu (Mouretsu Pirates ED)
DAN DAN Kokoro Hikareteku / Tetsurō Oda + Maon Kurosaki + Ray + Mikako Komatsu (Dragon Ball GT OP)
Honoo no Sadame / TETSU (Armored Trooper Votoms OP)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2