• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Government Enlists Pirate Hunter to Track Down Illegal Streams, Downloads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
An industry predominantly reliant on merchandise would produce a much narrower range of programming even than what we see in today's post-recession world.

The thing is, it already is. I'm just advocating that the animators see a cut of the profit. Also, even if you aren't interested in merchandise, the purchasing of disc media won't change as a means to support them. Perhaps I'll send this in as a question.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'd consider myself a fan and have absolutely no interest in buying anime merchandise. I'm interested in the medium itself, not statuary or hug pillows. Moreover, the shows I like the most have few merchandising prospects. I'm not about to buy a figurine of Furuta Sasuke from Hyouge Mono or a dakimakura of NIna Fortner from Monster. An industry predominantly reliant on merchandise would produce a much narrower range of programming even than what we see in today's post-recession world.

Well, you have merchandise-driven kids' shows (in general, not simply anime or western animation), which have been around since at least the late 70's. These shows live or die based on sales of their toys (or whether they could even get a toy line).
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I'm just advocating that the animators see a cut of the profit.

Why should they? They get paid for the job they do, and merchandise is not their job.

Merchandise revenue goes to merchandise manufacturers who pay license fee to the rights holder.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Actar's idea isn't as unreasonable as it sounds at first blush(lots of things are paid for by royalties alone), but it would require a titanic shift in how animation studios are dealt with by the production committees. Right now they're just freelance studios employing freelance animators in a race to the bottom, with little prospect for improvement.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Pirate Hunter would make a great anime. Though you would have to have great villains to make it exciting. Otherwise it would be a show about a paid hacker, hunting down unpaid hackers on the internet in front of a desktop or laptop.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Otherwise it would be a show about a paid hacker, hunting down unpaid hackers on the internet in front of a desktop or laptop.
Given that nobody ever portrays cyberspace in anything remotely resembling an accurate fashion anyway, this would probably give far more liberties and work out as the better idea. Make the worms/antiviruses/tracers all cute hamsters/girls/tricycles and you've got a merchandise smorgasbord.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:37 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
...but it would require a titanic shift in how animation studios are dealt with by the production committees.

No, not really. The only thing that needs to happen is that the anime studios become part of the Production Committee. Then they get their share of all extra profits flowing around.

The tiny problem on that however is that in case the anime is as a matter a flop there are no extra profits to share, instead there are losses. That means animators need to take pay-cut or the studio goes under.

That's why this arrangement is not very popular. People are happy to share profits of risk taking, but not so happy at all when they are at the losing end.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:55 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Make the worms/antiviruses/tracers all cute hamsters/girls/tricycles and you've got a merchandise smorgasbord.

Good point. Another thing that people don't usually consider is that being merchandise focused and having a "good" story can be mutually exclusive. Look at Madoka, Shingeki and all the other hits. Merchandise galore.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, you have merchandise-driven kids' shows (in general, not simply anime or western animation), which have been around since at least the late 70's. These shows live or die based on sales of their toys (or whether they could even get a toy line).

Toei series like Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and PreCure being excellent examples.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6