• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Negima Spinoff Manga UQ Holder! Gets Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:

Um, yeah. That's exactly what I meant. It is a spinoff rather than a sequel because it takes place in the alternate timeline that Negima diverged from at the end of the series.

Actually, i don't think this is an alternate universe at all:

spoiler[In Negima, Asuna returns to earth late, so the President character (forgot her name...) had already died at the age of 115. I think she returned more than 100 years later, while UQ Holder takes place something like 80 years after Negima. So they both fit perfectly within that timeline.]

Yes, but...

spoiler[according to the exposition in the latest chapter, Asuna is "no longer with them" at the time of UQ Holder, which would fit in nicely with the timeline where she is still sealed away.]
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I thought Akamatsu-sensei swore he would never let a TV anime of his work ever happen again after Negima was botched. I mean, the record so far with good anime based of his work is zero, so this is surprising.
Lee syaoran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I've been holding off on UQ Holder until i finish Negima. I wish they could adapt it faithfully. Except for the OVAs, Kotaro was left out of anime. We need a Negima Kai. Although, to fans who don't know Negima, they would think of it like Sinbads adventures b4 Magi starts. Cool Cool Cool
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Gee, was I right or was I right?

Best of luck to whichever studio is going to make it. I stopped reading UQ Holder so I could finish Negima, but now that means I need to pick up UQ Holder again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
spoiler[In Negima, Asuna returns to earth late, so the President character (forgot her name...) had already died at the age of 115. I think she returned more than 100 years later, while UQ Holder takes place something like 80 years after Negima. So they both fit perfectly within that timeline.]

Yes, but...

spoiler[according to the exposition in the latest chapter, Asuna is "no longer with them" at the time of UQ Holder, which would fit in nicely with the timeline where she is still sealed away.]

That just means that Holder isn't following as a "direct" sequel (however many decades Holder starts after the end of Negima prompts the quotes around direct), but instead within the timeline of Negima where Asuna stayed sealed. So it could still be considered a sequel, not a spinoff.

And the President is Yukihiro Ayaka, and Mizore is doing her best to carry on her legacy with regards to Touta in Holder, which is great.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Irru wrote:
"Spinoff"

Really? It's a full-blown sequel.

We wrote "spinoff" (it can be described either way) in the headline so people unfamiliar with the story would not get the impression that UQ Holder! centers on Negi.

not necessarily. it doesnt have to be focused on the previous main character for a previous series for a new one to be considered a sequel. it definitely can indeed be a quote on quote sequel even though negi is no longer the main alongs as there are some thing of the series that are included and it takes place years or decades before the previous series.

regardless, i wasnt surprised. considering how popular it is especially in the US, it was a matter of time for UQ Holder to get an anime version. though whether or not its faithful towards the manga remains to be seen. but the main question dub fans is wondering is that will Funi make the effort to get the license for this series? and if that is the case its more than likely that they will use the same vocal cast from negima for this series so its more or less a given that Laura Bailey will reprise her role as evangeline/yukihime. though as for tota and the rest of the cast,its more or less a toss up.Especially on who will be voicing Tota, but its definitely wont be Ayres (Negi's VA).

however as for karin do not be surprised at all if both the sub and dub VA that did Kuroko Shirai from both the Index & Railgun series does her considering how much those two are alike execpt that kuroko is more annoying and more hated within the otaku community.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thecritter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
It's never pleasant for fans when a publication changes from three a month to one a month. I just hope they do multiple chapters each month or a single much longer chapter. Akamatsu knows what he needs to do, though, so I guess we'll wait and see.

The next question is when does the hiatus start and end?
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
WitchWatcher wrote:
N7_Jaeger wrote:
glad it finally got an anime adaptation
just bummed that its gonna switch to monthly manga now instead of weekly -_-

bummed too, but maybe he'll add more pages to each chapter

Generally speaking, monthly titles get about 24 pages per chapter, but they can have more.

j Talbain wrote:
Most monthly manga are 35-45 pages. So hopefully it will take. Load off him and let him get a head of himself. Weekly seems like a killer.

None of the ones I read are that high. Generally, they are 24 pages, but occasionally go above that. Don't get me wrong, I'd love the new UQH to have an even higher page count as I think that would rock.

MrTerrorist wrote:
It was expected. Now the studio animating the anime better not be Shaft or Xebec!

Xebec got the first one 'cause they did Love Hina. (Ironically, I loved that anime until I read the manga and saw all of the idiotic changes they made there.) I suspect Shaft has first crack at UQH.

Splitter wrote:
I thought Akamatsu-sensei swore he would never let a TV anime of his work ever happen again after Negima was botched. I mean, the record so far with good anime based of his work is zero, so this is surprising.

That's why I think we might get an OAD anime and not a TV anime.

thecritter wrote:

My understanding is that chapter 128 is the last weekly chapter. We won't see the first monthly chapter until October.
#Zero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Akamatsu said he would accept an anime adaptation if it's faithful. He also said that one of the most important thing for his approval would be for Eva to keep the same VA ie Yuki Matsuoka. He answered to these questions at Japan Expo in France, I was there. He also said he'd be fine with Shaft doing it so it could very well be them.

AstroNerdBoy wrote:
WitchWatcher wrote:
N7_Jaeger wrote:
glad it finally got an anime adaptation
just bummed that its gonna switch to monthly manga now instead of weekly -_-

bummed too, but maybe he'll add more pages to each chapter

Generally speaking, monthly titles get about 24 pages per chapter, but they can have more.

j Talbain wrote:
Most monthly manga are 35-45 pages. So hopefully it will take. Load off him and let him get a head of himself. Weekly seems like a killer.

None of the ones I read are that high. Generally, they are 24 pages, but occasionally go above that. Don't get me wrong, I'd love the new UQH to have an even higher page count as I think that would rock.

MrTerrorist wrote:
It was expected. Now the studio animating the anime better not be Shaft or Xebec!

Xebec got the first one 'cause they did Love Hina. (Ironically, I loved that anime until I read the manga and saw all of the idiotic changes they made there.) I suspect Shaft has first crack at UQH.

Splitter wrote:

That's why I think we might get an OAD anime and not a TV anime.

thecritter wrote:

My understanding is that chapter 128 is the last weekly chapter. We won't see the first monthly chapter until October.

35-45 or more is the norm.
TheBlackGirlGamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
It's been 88 years...

Hope BONES or MADHOUSE gets it
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
[...]

Huh, fancy seeing you here, ANB; didn't know you had a ANN account. I mostly posted in your Fate review stuff, but I follow your Holder reviews as well, and I love them. Keep up the good work.

And yes, waiting 2 and a half months fore more Holder after next week is going to suck... Hopefully Akamatsu wraps up some hanging threads from the previous couple of chapters this next one before taking that long break. I have no doubt the new monthly series is going to be just as good though.

#Zero wrote:
Splitter wrote:

Akamatsu said he would accept an anime adaptation if it's faithful. He also said that one of the most important thing for his approval would be for Eva to keep the same VA ie Yuki Matsuoka. He answered to these questions at Japan Expo in France, I was there. He also said he'd be fine with Shaft doing it so it could very well be them.

As for the adaptation, I'm holding out hope for a faithful one, based on this info above, but I guess I'll believe it when i see it, since all other Akamatsu adaptations have been pretty bad, save for the Negima Magical World OVAs...
MrBonk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Mune wrote:
To be honest, this seems like it will not be very successful to fans. I mean, it makes little sense if you haven't read Negima entirely. Plus, every attempt at an anime adaptation of Negima ended up with an alternate ending (which were basically all the same), with the exception of the OVAs that came with manga volumes.

So, I'd rather have a full-fledged Negima adaptation before the UQ Holder! adaptation.

Ditto. All other Akamatsu manga adaptations have been terrible before, with the exception of the aforementioned Negima OVAs, so I'm not exactly holding out hope for this adaptation. Is there even enough material to make a faithful adaptation worth it, or is this destined to become another Akamatsu based anime that spins off its own ending?

#Zero wrote:
You don't have to read Negima to understand it. Negima helps since readers are more familiar with returning characters but it's in no way necessary.

Meh, I feel that some things lose their impact if you're not familiar with Negima. I mean, why is one supposed to care about the identity of Yukihime as Eva in the first page if you don't know who and what Eva is and has done in the previous series? Same with all of the callbacks to Negima sprinkled in the chapters where they return to Mahora, and now the last couple of ones where they introduce Negi and other characters that people who have read Negima are intimately familiar with?

I mean, you can still read Holder without knowing who everyone from Negima is, but it just doesn't have the same impact and hype when you see all of these callbacks and returning characters.

switchgear1131 wrote:
The only you miss are connections to Negima characters and really at this point that doesn't even matter all that much.

Man, these last couple of chapters, it's started to matter a hell of a lot. If you have no idea who the characters who just dropped in are, their appearance loses a hell of an impact on the reader.

Actually, some hints dropped in the latest chapter suggests that "spinoff" might be more accurate.

Nah, it seems to be an alternate timeline, the one where Asuna stayed asleep decades late and instead of using Chao's Cassiopeia to return to the present like she did in the last couple chapters of Negima.

Actar wrote:
I still want a proper Negima anime adaptation now that it's over...

Me too, but I really doubt it's gonna happen because it's been too long. At least we have the OVAs!

Terrible? Far from it. Just not as comprehensive or faithful.

Love Hina the anime with the OVAs is just as good on it's own from the Manga because of what it does different from the comic. And is one of my favorite anime of all time.

Would I prefer and loved an entirely faithful adaptation of the comic in the same art style as LHAgain? Absolutely. I honestly wished they would have done it for years.
But that doesn't temper my love for the first series.

Negima as a comic just went on way too long honestly, to do a faithful adaptation they'd have to be getting some serious merchandising sales to justify it considering it's 3 dozen+ volumes.
Guus van Voorst

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote
Well UQ Holder has the advantage of speeding up the story more (with basically less and quicker filler) and the first chapters already being quite effective in setting the premise...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote
It is technically both a sequel and spin-off. An American case of this Evan Almighty.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
Terrible? Far from it. Just not as comprehensive or faithful.

Love Hina the anime with the OVAs is just as good on it's own from the Manga because of what it does different from the comic. And is one of my favorite anime of all time.

Would I prefer and loved an entirely faithful adaptation of the comic in the same art style as LHAgain? Absolutely. I honestly wished they would have done it for years.
But that doesn't temper my love for the first series.

Oh, I liked Love Hina the anime when I first saw it, but I had gotten introduced to the series from the manga, and I was really disappointed that it wasn't a straight adaptation. Was one of the first times I learned that a manga and an anime based off of it (or vice versa) could be very different in terms of story (and sometimes, though not in this case, quality). The OP was really good, though. Earwormed me way back when.

I guess I'm like ANB above, when he said that he liked the anime until he saw all the changes made from the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4