• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Lost Village

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
There's still a week to go, but I'm pretty sure now that this show isn't as clever or sophisticated as some think. Oh, it may well be trying for that, and in fact I think it is, but it's seams are showing and therein less the failure. Nothing works less for me than something that tries so hard I end up seeing only that.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
This show is turning into what I always wanted but never expected: a stealth remake of Okada's Black Rock Shooter TV series. Here we have a shapeshifting monster instead of color-coded alter egos, but the underlying "message," such as it is, is pretty much the same.

Black Rock Shooter does indeed have a number of similarities with The Lost Village. It has the same get-over-your-hangups-to-escape plot, takes place in a strange hidden world, and has plenty of weirdness going on (wikia). Okada's The Lost Village is the spiritual successor to Black Rock Shooter amped up to 11.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to at least find out why they threw in that shot of the bus from an apartment window in the first episode. It's always bugged me since it was so random and I thought they were supposed to be out in the middle of nowhere where no one was living. I'm absurdly happy to have them explain such a minor detail. Smile
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I can appreciate the message, but given the backstories we've seen so far, I think the cracks start to show when you start thinking too hard about it. Like, yeah, some of these backstories were definitely self-inflicted and should end with that person coming to terms with their mistakes. But some of these were also brought on by external forces, like Lovepon's abusive....father figure(?), the bee incident for Cat-girl, and the Bombshell's stalker from one of the previews.

Those are all pretty affecting sources of trauma, and should really not be held as an equivalent to Mikage's "made a mistake and has to own up to his own incompentence". I mean, what the heck is Lovepon's resolution supposed to be?
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote
During the earlier episodes, someone elsewhere characterised Mayoiga as "4chan goes to Silent Hill" and I think that description still holds up pretty well.
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
First thought when the couple started showing cracks in their relationship, "Captain, captain! The ship's sprung a leak!"
melmouth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
It's a great psychological mystery with lots of interesting characters. And they all will turn out to have secrets. Further, lots of them act, within this group of strangers, as people who are running from their respective pasts would naturally act—variously withdrawn, combative, mean, sneaky, anxiety-ridden, besotted with love, etc., etc. I found it fascinating to see their oddities play out against each other, as weirder and weirder events unfold and put increasing stress on them.

I have a feeling lots of the haters of this show have no experience of carrying substantial psychological wounds from your past. If you fall in that blessed category, then, sure, you probably won't "get" the show at all. And you'll just end up evaluating it by criteria taken from one or another of the standard fun anime genres.

This is not meant to be a fun anime. It's about secret sorrows resurfacing. If you know about those, it may give you the shivers.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:

I have a feeling lots of the haters of this show have no experience of carrying substantial psychological wounds from your past. If you fall in that blessed category, then, sure, you probably won't "get" the show at all. And you'll just end up evaluating it by criteria taken from one or another of the standard fun anime genres.

What a ridiculous thing to say. You can tell the story is poorly written and filmed even while feeling sympathy for the characters. And in fact, it makes me more annoyed when they take people's horrible pasts and use them as basis for bad jokes in a bad anime because they lack the talent or money or whatever to truly make something good.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
HuuskerDu wrote:
wolf10 wrote:
This show is turning into what I always wanted but never expected: a stealth remake of Okada's Black Rock Shooter TV series. Here we have a shapeshifting monster instead of color-coded alter egos, but the underlying "message," such as it is, is pretty much the same.

Black Rock Shooter does indeed have a number of similarities with The Lost Village. It has the same get-over-your-hangups-to-escape plot, takes place in a strange hidden world, and has plenty of weirdness going on (wikia). Okada's The Lost Village is the spiritual successor to Black Rock Shooter amped up to 11.

This is probably the most apt description of this anime. I can say that I am wholeheartedly happy that it's over. This anime is right up there with the BRS TV anime as one of the worst anime I've seen.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Final ep review wrote:
There were more resolutely awkward verbal puns, from Lovepon describing the penguin as “a-gore-able” to Nyanta's final “purrvival.”

I would appreciate someone explaining how these jokes came across in the Japanese. I didn't catch the actual words they used.

After reading Nick's review I actually upgraded my final score for this anime. That's something I rarely do but his point is that TLV is a very rare anime. But I think that what most people will be unhappy with is that once the "secret" was revealed the story was effectively over. TLV did its unique thing and once done that's all she wrote.

The fate of the left-behinds seems pretty obvious. They will fade away into the background forever the way people who have given up on excelling at anything always do. Those that earned out of the village suddenly seem like pretty well adjusted people.

All in all I am pleased that this didn't turn out to be another "Another."
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Mayoiga ended as shaky and dumb as it began. I give it a Not really good rating. This show is among the worst anime I have ever watched. True, I had a couple of ironic laughs here and there, but for the most part this crappy thing was a waste of time.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
@angelmcazares I'd be interested to see how you compare this with other "stinkers" this season like Big Order, or BBK/BRNK (before Ep11) from last season. Maybe even Chaos Dragon which I put this about even with as I agree both were Time Wasters. And that's a worse than just being "bad" or "not really good".
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Nick, I respect your opinions, I really do. Your reviews on other series bring me so much added pleasure and insights. But I feel like you're fooling yourself about the intentions and quality of this anime so you don't feel like you've wasted hours of your life on something that's merely mediocre. At any rate, I'm glad to leave this show behind, and I look forward to your next reviews.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Can we stop pretending this is some kind of absurdist masterpiece now? Because that last episode was awful. It wasn't even so bad it's funny, just plain pathetic.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
@stilldemented, I for one think your proposition about the nature of this show is an interesting one, I can see some earmarks too, and if true marks the boldest departure Japan has seen from traditional narrative storytelling that I've ever heard of. However, I really hate the sort of intellectualism that gave birth to surreal humor and absurdist theater, dadaism, etc. and don't find it funny in the least. I loved Monte Python, Candide and all but this show would be the driest surreal comedy of all time. I think equally plausible is that the writers are inept in this genre and the result isn't consciously absurd, it is just badly handled storytelling. I stand by my earlier assessment that this may be an anime version of Lost and in the final moments we may see the evil government experimenters at last. However, if not, I think the concept that people who conquer their inner demons can escape the "cursed village" would still be an interesting mystery/horror twist.

I've been meaning to respond to this. I appreciate the politeness, Hiroki. Thank you for that. More flies are caught with honey than vinegar. All that jazz. haha. Smile

I'm several episodes behind at the moment. The biggest mystery for me was wondering what the show was trying to be. Figuring it out more or less killed my interest. It's a cute project and I'm sure it was a riot to work on it. Not very marketable to a mass audience obviously, but whatever. It's out there for people to see.

As Nick has pointed out throughout his reviews, the show is conscious of its absurdity. But I do agree that the humor isn't my cup of java. The humor more often acts as a release valve for the ridiculous happenings being entertained. I think the reason it has a hard time working is that anime already lends itself to entertaining the weird/odd as natural elements of the setting. Because of that, I feel a lot of postmodern/absurdist antics pack less punch than they might otherwise.

That's very vague and general, but I'm not much of a word guru to articulate in-depth, scene-by-scene discussion. It's tedious work for the general sake of clarification. Good for journalists to be sure, but some random guy on a forum? I'm a just throw loose thoughts at a screen and see where it sticks. Laughing

There are a couple of well-written articles about the nature of The Lost Village as a show. So I'll just let them do the legwork. Here and here.

To others, I'm aware that this comes across as a defense in favor of the show. That's not really my intention. It's more akin to watching a lot of people gripe about being caught in a bear trap without ever recognizing that it's a bear trap. Amusing, but a lot of misguided frustration. So I attempt to help by pointing it out.

Does it work? No, it more or less seems to either anger or embarrass or both. But it's the thought that counts. Razz

I think the show is successful in what it sets out to accomplish. Do I enjoy it on a personal level? Once in a while. It's weird. It's silly. I don't find it all that funny. It's not very marketable. But I'm willing to pat it on the back and give it an E for Effort.

That's my own subjective experience of the show. At the very least, I was correct in believing that this show would generate a lot of discussion. It didn't turn out to be the kind of discussion I thought it would. But it's fascinating all the same. Smile

Last edited by stilldemented on Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12