• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Manga That Need An English Release Right Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I did not know that there were still active English language publishers outside of the United States. Thank you for letting us know. Now I got to figure out how to buy it in the US...

Yeah, it was published in English in Singapore, but I think they've only translated the first three volumes so far. It's out of stock in Kikokuniya's online store and Amazon doesn't even have it, so you'd probably have to find an online retailer based in Singapore that ships internationally.

(And that's why I specifically said a North American release way back in my original post about the series).
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:47 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
I'd like to see Bokura no Kiseki licensed. This manga is so addictive, it's absurd. When I first happened across it, I just thought "A princess reincarnated as a guy? Meh, doesn't sound that great." But the second time I came across it I was in advanced procrastination mode, where anything is better than doing what I'm supposed to be doing, so I decided I'd read just a few chapters...And then suddenly it was the next morning, and I'd read it all. Once the plot steps on the gas, it just never lets up, a really great fantasy mystery. The only downside is the deep, abiding emptiness I feel whenever I get caught up...
I second this. Also add in the fact that the the castle in the past was suddenly attacked by their allies for no known reason, and the fact that it is difficult to tell who has reincarnated as who, and you have an environment ripe for paranoia. Combine this with the fact that main character is simultaneously the most aware of their need not to be trapped by the past and that he also acknowledges just how trapped by the past he is, and you have one great series.
Phil Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
Violinist of Hameln. For me, if ever there was an obscure manga that deserved some recognition, that would be the one.
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
Scanlation came into being precisely to fill this very hole [insert country]'s publishing firms won't.

There are the authors, and there are the fans, but somehow there's always some clusterfvck going on in the middle whenever bureaucracy is involved.

As a realist I can see things improving the further we get from paper printing, but certainly not before. We've basically reached the pinnacle of b&w e-readers with the Kindle Paperwhite. All that's missing now is affordable color e-ink and a double-spread (double-width) option. Flexible displays are on the horizon so it's only a matter of time.

As for the people who just love the "smell and feel" of paper, those people can't be helped but eventually they'll die out and the new generation who grows up without knowing the horrible inefficiencies of organic parchment will replace them.

There is also the problem that when you don't have a hard copy, if you accidentally delete a book and go to re-download it you run the risk of the license being pulled. This happened with a VERY POPULAR video game, and there was nothing that could be done about it since none of the customers had purchased the game, just a LICENSE to download and play the game on their consoles (or handhelds or PCs I forget the details. I can google them if you wish.). If they HAD a hard copy this would not be a problem.
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
AryaUshiromiya wrote:
No 7 Seeds? Preposterous!

Thank you. You don't know how gratified I feel to see this as the first comment and know that I'm not the only one wishing for this. 7 Seeds is my favorite manga series ever and will probably always remain my most wanted license. I actually frequent ANN half of the time just hoping to see a license announcement. I know it's a long shot. I know it's more likely that I'll end up learning Japanese than Viz ever picking it up. But goshdarnit, I want it to be licensed so bad so that everyone on this side of the globe can know how awesome it is.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
As for the people who just love the "smell and feel" of paper, those people can't be helped but eventually they'll die out and the new generation who grows up without knowing the horrible inefficiencies of organic parchment will replace them.

Remember the saying "If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all'? This is a perfect example of that, because this is just rude as all hell. I'm only 29, yet I prefer reading via actual, physical books. There are plenty of people, young & old, that prefer reading physically, so what the hell...
Sandra3988

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
My Top 7 Manga that should be published in English:

1. 7 Seeds
2. Lady Georgie
3. Aishite Knight
4. City Hunter
5. Cat's Eye
6. Beelzebub
7. Shishunki Miman (Yuu Watase)

I really do hope I will see 7 Seeds in English some time.
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Not counting Bokura No Kiseki my top 7 are
1: Anything from the Captain Tsubasa franchise
2: Gamaran
3: Liar Game
4: Anything from the Fist Of The North Star franchise
5: Anything from the Saint Seiya franchise (I am aware that the core series is licensed, the rest, however is not)
6: Sekirei
7: Anything from the History's Strongest Disciple franchise
petran79

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
the movie Locke the Superman was my first forray into serious anime in the 80s

Still, I'd like to read the original manga by Yuki Hijiri. Over 38 volumes that spans a story over a millenium. Mainly because he said that the movie has not much to do with the original material
First 12 volumes got a Polish release

(interview and scans source)
http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/593/

Also Haikara San ga Tooru deserves a release, since like Candy and Lady Georgie, the anime is celebrated. Manga got an Italian release

At least a new movie is in production for 2017

http://adala-news.fr/2016/06/le-manga-haikara-san-ga-tooru-adapte-en-film-animation/

(scan source)
lebrel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, if I went all out on my licensing wishlist it would be longer than this thread. Things I would particularly like to see (some of which have been mentioned already):

* Hagio Moto's A Cruel God Reigns: totally unlicenseable because it's 90's shoujo and long, but 17 volumes of OPERATIC! MELODRAMA! with TRAGEDY! by a genius author, with amazing art.

* The BL works of Setona Mizushiro and Natsume Ono. And everything else they've ever written, too. Edit: HEARTBROKEN CHOCOLATIER. Somebody do it now, for the love of God!

* The manga versions of the excellent recent josei anime (e.g., Chihayafuru, Kids on the Slope, Showa-era lover's double-suicide through raguko, and Natsuyuki Rendezvous although that's not all that "recent" anymore..)

* Rescues of Moyashimon and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. And while we're in fantasyland, From Eroica with Love and Swan.

* Torikae Baya, a manga adaption of a thousand-year-old novel, with gratuitous crossdressing and lots of emotions (although I get the impression it deviates somewhat from the original; I wonder if it's going to change the original ending, in which everything gets restored to normative gender roles...).

* Bokura no Hentai, which is not hentai at all (FYI, the primary meaning of "hentai" in Japanese is "transformation" or "metamorphosis"): a low-key exploration of a bunch of kids dealing with emotional issues, gender issues, sexuality issues, and life in general. Not as realistic as Wandering Son, but might appeal to the fans of that series (all 10 of them...).

* Shonen Oujo - Mimic Royal Princess: boys dressed as girls, girls dressed as boys, swashbucking, assassination plots, political intrigue and pretty art.

CorneredAngel wrote:
I don't think I'm really going out on a limb here if I say that many manga fans in the US don't really care for shoujo/josei/yuri. Would it be too much to ask for a similar list of "seven manga that need an English release right now" that *aren't* just picked because they are shoujo/josei/yuri?

There are 7 manga on the list; 2 or possibly 3 of them are seinen (depending on how you categorize Tsubomi, the magazine home of Candy).

"Many manga fans in the US don't really care for shoujo/josei/yuri" - "many", possibly. But quite a lot do, and josei, older-targeted shoujo, and yuri (especially female-targeted yuri) are painfully underrepresented in the US market.

Animechic420 wrote:
I personally would like to read/purchase more Josei and Seinen manga. Harlequin types some, too. I've already had my fill of Shojo and that demographic is starting to bore me.

There are a *TON* of Harlequin manga adaptations digitally; try Kindle/Nook or eManga or Renta!.

anpansparking wrote:
I'd also like to see Chihayafuru and Ao Haru Ride licensed.

Add Blue Spring Ride to the list above. Very Happy
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
petran79 wrote:
the movie Locke the Superman was my first forray into serious anime in the 80s
Still, I'd like to read the original manga by Yuki Hijiri. Over 38 volumes that spans a story over a millenium. Mainly because he said that the movie has not much to do with the original material

Locke the Superman definitely deserves a release. I love the grandiose Japanese sci-fi from this era. That other series you posted looks pretty neat, too.

Desa wrote:

I hope people like you that don't value legitimate ownership eventually grow up. If Viz or someone decides to stop distributing digital volumes, they're gone, no matter if you paid for them.
PhantomOfTheKnight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Count me as another person rooting for an English translation of Teppuu.

CorneredAngel wrote:

I'd give a LOT to see an English-language release of Tezuka's take on Crime and Punishment. Or even just a couple of Leiji Matsumoto's World War 2 manga!

DMP have already released Tezuka's Crime and Punishment in 2015.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:

This I find very sad... I'm someone that prefers a physical collection versus a digital collection. I love viewing my collection and growing it whenever I'm able. I can also share my collection with others, which is something I can't (and refuse to) share with others via a tablet or e-reader. Also, similar to anime, a digital license for a series won't always exist; at least once a title expires for a physical release, they can still be bought and collected. Once a digital license is gone, there may not be any other legal method to get and read that series.

I'm 27, and while my husband and I don't have children yet, we plan to raise our children on physical books as well as digital. Just because the printed word is becoming a thing of the past, it won't be going away anytime soon and should be shared with the new generation. Hell, if anything, with the new generation, reading physical media might actually be considered "hip and trendy", similar to the resurging popularity of vinyls.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:28 am Reply with quote
I've PLENTY of choices (If any of these WERE published in English, please let me know):

Addicted to Curry
Hajime no Ippo
Ashita no Joe
Beach Stars
Kurogane - The 2011 Kendo manga
Kinnikuman - Yeah, I like sports manga, ok?
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro - Just so Assassination Classroom fans can see what Matsui did beforehand

And etc....
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:47 am Reply with quote
No Billy Bat, list irrelevant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7