• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's New One Piece Dub Starts Saturday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
arxane wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
... sadly the TV version will have the lollipop thanks to the Freakin' FCC...

Actually, if the episodes people saw at a recent con are correct, Sanji won't have a cigarette or a lollipop.

Really... Nothing it better than a lollipop... it's less childish... and it appeases to the Freakin' FCC... I don't mind because of the DVD will have the good stuff.

The FCC doesn't regulate cable or satellite.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
arxane wrote:
Actually, if the episodes people saw at a recent con are correct, Sanji won't have a cigarette or a lollipop.

That's probably because they showed the uncut version at AWA. I seriously doubt he'll keep his cigarette in the Toonami one.

The edited TV version episodes were shown at AWA. In the edited episodes, he doesn't have anything in his mouth (no cigarette or lolipop). On the DVDs, he of course will have a cigarette.
BrothersElric wrote:
Well if it's only going to be edited to Naruto's standards, then that makes me feel WAY better about it, seeing as how Naruto barely has any edits made to it at all. I just hope they keep the original OPs and EDs in there instead of making their own. I think right now, knowing what has already been said, that's all that matters to me right now.

The opening and ending are both English versions of the original Japanese openings and endings (like so many of FUNimation's other anime).
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
eyesopen0791 wrote:
Great news! Because of all the criticism of the previous dub, I've been avoiding the show on tv. However, I'm a little worried. If I start watching it now from its story arc, will I be completely lost?

It's always best to see something from the beginning. But they're starting at a real fresh point that couldn't be better. No filler in sight, with some great stuff coming up. Plus a lot of the needed backstory when showing some characters are supplied with some flashbacks. It's not like DBZ where Funi "took over" right in the middle of a fight.
LC_Lapen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
I honestly wonder how much higher ratings this new dub is going to pull in. I'm hoping for "astronomical", but high DVD sales would be better in the long run, I guess. Hopefully high enough for Toonami and VIZ to realise that the can have a hit other than Naruto on the table.

I like what I've heard so far. Englih opening and closing, FUNi giving 160% effort in this, the only thing I'm worried about are the voices, but I think they'll grow on me.
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
They are keeping the original openings and endings except they are sung in english by both Vic Mignogna for the opening and the ending is sung by Kristine Sa
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
yay a few more hours! I can't wait.
Im still wondering how sanji will sound....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
BrothersElric wrote:
Nebs wrote:
Actually what they do is add a quick white flash at the moment of impact whenever there's a punch. FUNi did the same thing with their dubs of DBZ & YYH, but most people never noticed them because they really are so quick. I'm not really sure if the Naruto dub does it as well, but really it wouldn't surprise me since most of the time it goes unnoticed unless you're really looking for it. So trust me, you have nothing to fear about these edited punches.

Really? That is quite surprising, since I followed all of DBZ and YYH from the very beginning on CN and I would have never guessed they'd have done anything like that. In fact, a lot of violence seemed to have been left in on those versions. And I mean a whole lot!

No such edits were made in DBZ and YYH. No such edits are made to Naruto either, and since One Piece is being edited to the same standards at Naruto, it's unlikely that any 'flashes' will be use.

Hell, I don't think the 4Kids dub used any 'flashes'.

FYI, as far as I know, Digimon is the only show to use the flashes, Tamers coming to mind.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
They are keeping the original openings and endings except they are sung in english by both Vic Mignogna for the opening and the ending is sung by Kristine Sa

We've seen the openings in Japanese do ok for Naruto, Bleach, etc. Why re-do these ones when they are perfectly fine in Japanese?
(Says someone who pre-ordered the last theme collection from CDJapan & listens to it regularly. And who cringes at the stupid metal DBZ themes & even if I'm listening in English, I either skip the English DBZ themes or pop back to Japanese.)
I'd rather hear Kappei Yamaguchi & the Japanese VA's do "We Are" & Bon Bon Blanco did a GetBackers theme I enjoyed so no matter where we are on the eps, did we need the songs in English?
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
No such edits were made in DBZ and YYH. No such edits are made to Naruto either, and since One Piece is being edited to the same standards at Naruto, it's unlikely that any 'flashes' will be use.

Hell, I don't think the 4Kids dub used any 'flashes'.

Ummm, you're mistaken. I guarentee you FUNi used those for their Toonami edits of DBZ & YYH. & 4Kids was even worse. They either wouldn't show the punch at all, or add a more cartoonish effect to cover it up. As I stated before though, the flashes are extremely quick & usually go unnoticed unless you're actually looking out for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I saw a sneak peak clip of the new voiced for the onepiece cast on youtube and they're pretty darn good,heres a clip of it for proof,I found this the other day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kw2ZDrvUq0
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I imagine the funimation dub will be pleasing. Will try to watch but if I can't get to I'll try to not forget about the new dub.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow, like, everyone in this show is cast quite well.

The only character I haven't heard well is Chopper, but that's more to do with the episode not having much from him.

I also love how toned down the performances and tone of the show.
willyfoureyes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm pleasantly surprised. FUNi's dub (the parts that I saw of it, anyway) didn't suck. Sanji and Zolo don't sound retarded anymore. I fear that I may have missed too much by avoiding a lot of the previous episodes before tonight. (Actually, that's a year's worth of shows, so never mind.
Nionel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I'm quite impressed with this dub. All the parts are well casted, and the dubbed opening and ending sound great. I'm looking forward to next week, can't wait to hear Buggy and Ace.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, sounded to me like they were pretty close to the 4Kids actors. The only drastic voice changes were Sanji and Zolo and I actually liked the 4Kids version of Zolo better (Sabat has a very small vocal range, it's either the "Vegeta voice" the "Piccolo voice" or the "Yamcha voice", none of which sound right coming from Zolo IMO). But there's a difference between voices and acting (and writing). It was nice not hearing the stupid Luffy laugh and actually hearing silence when there's silence (and there was a lot of silence in this episode). And no puns, that was a nice change, so were the real guns. It's like watching an entirely different show.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5