• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Animation Only For Kids In The US?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

Is there a prejudice against watching an adaptation of a manga using the art style of the manga versus an adaptation that does not use the art style of the manga?
So, why is there an animated adaptation of Nodame as well?

Anime fans wanted an animated version of Nodame, and the manga company did too, as it would make money for the license.
Mainstream adults who read the manga wanted a version of Nodame's story, but watching a live drama meant they could admit to being fans of the story without also being accused of being "horny Internet-addicted NEETs" for watching the anime.
Sort of like the salarymen in "Shall We Dance?" who were afraid for their jobs.

You'll notice we tend to get more live-drama adaptations of the well-known mainstream real-world romance titles, that breakout audiences can "admit" to watching, than we do of the otaku fanservice titles.
We might get Boys Over Flowers, but NHK isn't about to do a live Monster Musume Girls any time soon.

Quote:
Why is that 6 out of the top 10 highest grossing Japanese films in Japan last year were anime?

Again, that depends--Are you talking about "art" anime films, or about existing franchise cash-in/fan-pilgrimages like Detective Conan and Psycho-Pass, and/or "This year's episode" like One Piece and Doraemon?
That's like asking why Pokemon: the Movie did better business over here than TitanAE, or why the Care Bears made more money than Disney's Black Cauldron.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I like the hardcore otaku stuff like Genocyber, Girls und Panzer, Is the Order a Rabbit, Nanoha and Strike Witches. I notice that my tastes in manga/anime are like my tastes in western popular music: I only listen to underground folk metal like Ensiferum and nordic black metal like Bathory.

By the way, the closest thing in western culture to manga/anime is not comics or cartoons. It is modern popular music, like rock, jazz, metal, hip hop and country: both manga and pop music began as a rather niche medium aimed at young people and gradually gained mainstream traction, complexity and many sub niches, becoming the dominant form of culture, defining the youth culture of the eastern and western hemispheres respectively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crazyidiot78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Well I tried really hard to avoid commenting here but I guess it's impossible for me to steer clear of this topic so might as well give my two-cents:

Like Justin I'm also of the mindset that the whole "why is animation still for kids in the US?" thing is kind of outdated, and most everyone under the age of 35, won't have a problem admitting they watch a few of them(even if it's unfortunately stoner comedies more often than not). That said I do get tired of this whole "east v.s. west" thing. It gives the idea that it's all entirely one way or the other and that the two in general should somehow be competing against each other in terms of content, which to me is frankly ridiculous.

I enjoy my share of both and at the end of the day I think it generally comes down to how well these shows work for you individually, I'll happily watch both Steven Universe and Jojo's but Sword Art Online and Family Guy are both steaming piles of garbage to me. I like and hate all of these shows for completely different reasons and that's to be expected because they're well...different shows. I've seen a lot of people demanding that western stuff be more anime like because that's the only way it can be "taken seriously" but that's frankly insulting to both sides of the ocean because it implies that they all do a lot of the same thing, which isn't true in the slightest. Different shows do different things and if we can acknowledge that Evangelion or One-Punch Man are both good shows for different reasons it seems silly to me to downplay stuff like Rick and Morty or Avatar, which each have plenty of their own strengths simply because they aren't doing them in the exact same way something from Japan does.

I'll be the first to admit I watch way more anime that I do western animation, but I don't demand that western animation needs to compete with Japan in order to compensate. If something looks interesting to me I'll watch it, and if it's a waste of time I'll move on. This goes for pretty much anything I watch whether it be anime, western toons or live action stuff. At the end of the day I just care about good content and if I think it's good then I couldn't care less which side of the ocean it comes from.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on some points and disagree on others. I think you are spot on with the 35 and under crowd (FYI- I'm 35). I also think we will continue to see this over time as millennial and Gen Xers continue to age and animation will continue to slowly shift as the people who grew up with it get older.

The east vs west thing is also a bit old since they make different shows for different markets. I find the western comedies easier to watch and for the most part funnier than alt of the Japanese comedies. Not that their aren't some great ones out there. I just find the more recent ones harder to watch.

Now that being said I don't like most of the modern post 2000 western animation and that by enlarge comes down to art style and content. I just don't like the art style in shows like Steven's universe, adventure time, etc. Also the content of those shows just doesn't appeal to me especially the LGBTQ pandering in stevens universe (I'll freely admit to hype backlash on this one as I have only seen a tiny bit). I happen to like SAO and Family guy, but that's just different strokes for different folks. So I also see some of this coming down to people having different tastes.

Lastly I don't think a show needs to be mature or edgy to be taken seriously.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Ms Marvel isn't going anywhere. Expect a movie after Captain Marvel's is released. At the very least an animated series.

I can just hear the butthurt already not that such a series we'll happen, but still.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
crazyidiot78 wrote:
Now that being said I don't like most of the modern post 2000 western animation and that by enlarge comes down to art style and content. I just don't like the art style in shows like Steven's universe, adventure time, etc. Also the content of those shows just doesn't appeal to me especially the LGBTQ pandering in stevens universe (I'll freely admit to hype backlash on this one as I have only seen a tiny bit).

I also cannot stand the art style Steven Universe. The character design is just plain ugly and everyone looks fat and midget like, but that kind of art style is popular these days because it's easy to draw. I'm not sure how much of the LGBT things are in the show or just obsessive fan interpretation. It definitely seems to have one of the more obsessive communities to the point that wiki page for all the characters have a section marked gender pronoun preference despite never actually being brought up in the show, same thing with how none of the characters actually say that they are gay but fans insist fusions are lesbian sex. Hype backlash is understandable. I think fans can take it a bit too far with seeing progressivness that might not be there. There was a weird case in the My Little Pony fandom where people insisted Twilight Sparkle was of Indian descent and anyone who drew fan art of her as white would get death threats for whitewashing.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Good for you mate, as for myself, I can barely find 5-6 interesting anime in the whole year.
So it only takes 3-5 years for anime's output to outpace the worthwhile output of the last 1-2 decades of Western animation, then?

Kikaioh wrote:
I think most adults, and quite probably most Japanese people, would feel that any grown-up dropping large amounts of money on highschool romcoms, ecchi battle harems, and moemoe "cute girls doing cute things" sorts of shows, aren't exactly the most "mature" apples in the bunch. TBH, if your apartment is decked out with dakimakura, fanservice pvcs, and miniature shrines to your favorite anime characters, you're probably taking escapism from the 'harsh realities' of adult life to some very unhealthy levels.
I already stated that those kinds of shows aren't necessarily "mature," so what's your point? It's not like money from "unhealthy" adults feels any different to the industry than money from normals... except that the otaku actually buy discs and merchandise in sufficient numbers to keep the industry's output somewhere in the realm of sustainable. Either way, it's an easily-discernible economic reality that those latenight otaku anime target adult otaku (as I stated previously), not young teenagers (as rizuchan stated before that). Whether those adults get the stamp of approval from the Social Norms Department is irrelevant. Tbh, it sounds like it's the old-guard that's trying to escape the harsh reality that many anime are made for adults whose tastes and life experiences are different from their own. It's only natural that a niche industry would cater to non-mainstream consumers.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It is worth mentioning that before Flintstones and Yogi Bear, American animation was mostly made for adults.

It's the "Saturday Morning" effect. Cartoons such as Bugs Bunny were aired in theaters before the main feature and aimed at a general audience. Then Saturday Morning TV started appealing to children back in the 1950s, but mainly with live-action shows. In the 60s cartoons started to become more predominant, but they were simple stories replicating the violence and mature behavior of the theatrical cartoons. In the 70s, Saturday Morning became known for it's cartoons even though some live-action children's shows also appeared. It had become popular among advertisers for marketing to kids. But there was also a push against violence leading to less mature cartoons. While cartoons in the past were aimed at a generally adult audience, they now were thought of as kids stuff. Disney also propagated this concept because it allowed them to re-release their animated movies every five or ten years to a new audience. So decades grew up thinking of animation being only for kids and even the industry today is built upon that concept because it's the most profitable and allows for toy marketing.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Jose Cruz"]
Kikaioh wrote:
I think that as Japan's culture consolidates it is becoming more and more Japanese and more detached from Western culture. Japan industrialized between the 1870's and the 1970's, by the time Japan became an industrialized country in the 1970's it was when the otaku culture emerged. After several decades this culture is becoming more and more it's own thing and is progressively less influenced by western culture, in a way modern Japanese civilization is itself becoming mature now.

As a result I think that now their output is harder for a westerner to consume than 30 years ago when it was like super Americanized/Westernized stuff like Bubblegum Crisis and Akira, now it's stuff like K-On! and PMMM which is intrinsically Japanese in its sensibilities.

From my vantage point this is correct. Back in the 80's and into the 90's, Japan was heavily inspired by blockbuster Hollywood films and even Hong Kong cinema, but as the years have gone by, the medium has become much more insular as subsequent generations of Japanese animators seem to be more fans of anime the medium and its tropes, and less fans of foreign pop culture.

Zalis116 wrote:
I already stated that those kinds of shows aren't necessarily "mature," so what's your point? It's not like money from "unhealthy" adults feels any different to the industry than money from normals... except that the otaku actually buy discs and merchandise in sufficient numbers to keep the industry's output somewhere in the realm of sustainable. Either way, it's an easily-discernible economic reality that those latenight otaku anime target adult otaku (as I stated previously), not young teenagers (as rizuchan stated before that). Whether those adults get the stamp of approval from the Social Norms Department is irrelevant. Tbh, it sounds like it's the old-guard that's trying to escape the harsh reality that many anime are made for adults whose tastes and life experiences are different from their own. It's only natural that a niche industry would cater to non-mainstream consumers.

You were speaking more to the maturity of the content, and I was speaking more to the maturity of the individuals. And I'm not sure how pointing out this niche of adults as having immature (or in some cases disturbing) tastes could be considered "escapism", let alone for the "old guard". From my experience I think most mainstream Japanese adults feel the same way towards adult otaku, regardless of their own age (though they may be more sympathetic than I am).
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Direct-to-video movies: As long as Disney continues to churn out direct-to-video sequels and advertise them heavily, that stigma's not going to go away.

The thing is that nowadays Disney OWNS Marvel, they are literally sitting on decades of comics with stories worthy of being animated (undiluted) or they could continue to output insipid sequels that no one wants to see. From a business perspective I think the answer should be obvious (therefore whatever business executive at Disney is in charge of selecting what direct to video franchise gets animated is brain dead! Anime hyper ). I mean, they are already have a budget to spend on animation projects, why not make some profit out of it? Unlike fairy tales, there is little reason to think parents and the PTA will be at their throat for doing, something similar to the fururama direct to dvd you mentioned, say "The Incredible Hulk: The Gray Years" where our cynical superhero kicks some ass while saying "I hate puny robots, they don't scream when you pull their arms out".

crazyidiot78 wrote:
I just don't like the art style in shows like Steven's universe, adventure time, etc.

I agree, this was one of the reasons that attracted me to anime (and then manga) many years ago. It seems that in western animation there is some kind of competition to see how to make people look ugly (i.e. Hey Arnold!) while in anime the competition seems to be how to make them look prettier (or more handsome, I suppose). In my look the pretty ladies take the cake, In a comedy I want them to make me laugh (i.e. Konosuba), not to look funny so I laugh at their deformed bodies. I can digest shows where people look about average (i.e. MLAATR).

Last edited by mangamuscle on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So it only takes 3-5 years for anime's output to outpace the worthwhile output of the last 1-2 decades of Western animation, then?

Implying that entire Western animation only produced 30 interesting works in 20 years? In any case, no. Say, in a course of several years, Japan produces 30-40 animated works I deem watchable or even enjoyable, however, the vast majority of them are absolutely forgettable. It doesn't help that most anime are inferior to Live-Action shows in almost every "adult" genres. For example, I thoroughly enjoyed Psycho-Pass, but I'm not going to show it to my friends as shining example of (post)-cyberpunk, Blade Runner and Minority Report are much better representations. Same with Black Lagoon, I love the series, but if I want to watch gritty action in all its glory I rather rewatch Banshee.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

You were speaking more to the maturity of the content, and I was speaking more to the maturity of the individuals. And I'm not sure how pointing out this niche of adults as having immature (or in some cases disturbing) tastes could be considered "escapism", let alone for the "old guard". From my experience I think most mainstream Japanese adults feel the same way towards adult otaku, regardless of their own age (though they may be more sympathetic than I am).

Mainstream Japanese adults feel this way about everyone outside the norm. Been otaku anime or mainstream anime, most think a adult is immature if watching any kind of anime.
They think anime is for kids, period! If you watch anime, you are a immature adult. If you become a adult you should stop watching anime and do something productive for the society.
Is different with manga but anime is a no go for a adult.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

The thing is that nowadays Disney OWNS Marvel, they are literally sitting on decades of comics with stories worthy of being animated (undiluted) or they could continue to output insipid sequels that no one wants to see. From a business perspective I think the answer should be obvious (therefore whatever business executive at Disney is in charge of selecting what direct to video franchise gets animated is brain dead! Anime hyper ). I mean, they are already have a budget to spend on animation projects, why not make some profit out of it?

Because logically they're (Marvel Studios) are not going to make animated adaptations out of say storylines line "Demon In A Bottle" or "Maximum Carnage" which features elements that aren't exactly kid friendly. While they already have Iron Man & Spider-Man in their own kid friendly animated shows. Live action series are fine though.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Steven Universe is better than most any anime I've seen in the last 4 years.

And the American animation model can't follow the Japanese because the Japanese animation model can barely support itself, and we have guilds and unions for workers and try to make sure people get living wages.

Despite what you said about Japanese industry, their output and innovations are far better than American animation industry which is pampered by guilds and unions.

Personally, I do think American animation unions and guilds are about protecting mediocrity and self-interest rather than developing new talents who'll lead the way for better projects.

Why do think American animation director/producers like LeSean Thomas went over to oversea animators over domestic talents? Fact is that animation guilds and unions are not helping realizing his project and they even can't offer anything substantial. Sure he could've hire couple of ex-Disney animators for TV project if he could, but those unions would've demand him to hire a dozen ex-Disney animators with feature scale pay. If LeSean Thomas asked those ex-Disney animators to come up with layout for each cut, they'll tell outright that layout is not their job and they're likely to tell him to hire some specialist because the union said so. So how could union help small scale, innovative productions when it's already detrimental from get go?

Quote:
Since you mentioned that most animators want to be freelance, do you think unionization is at all a solution to the pay problem?

Thomas Romain: I had this discussion with Lesean Thomas, the American creator I’m working with right now for Cannon Busters. He told me that unionization destroyed the animation industry in the US. There are no more animators.

We talked also about…doing storyboards for feature films. In Japan, usually the director does the storyboards for the feature film by himself. But in the US, they are working with a team of several storyboarders for each feature film. And he told me it was impossible in the US to ask only one guy to do all the storyboards because of the unions.

And here's the link to the quote:
http://animediet.net/conventions/interview-thomas-romain
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
"Unfortunately" is a subjective term, as aiming for the mainstream gets them the results they want. When they adapt something, the intent is to bring in new fans, which they do pretty well (as is evidenced by the people who didn't know about the Twilight books until the first movie came out, for instance).
Granted. Unfortunate for fans but fortunate for Hollywood executives as in cases like Transformers where the movies overshadow the cartoons. Personally, I like fandoms and haven't really run into any I dislike for shows I do like. The only bad fandoms I've seen are for propertiess I don't like. I assume that's a case of similar tastes and minds coming together. Then again I only go to certain websites to discuss things I like so maybe some website are more cancerous than others.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Ms Marvel isn't going anywhere. Expect a movie after Captain Marvel's is released. At the very least an animated series.

I doubt it's going anywhere either, even if it just becomes a good political card for Marvel to keep in their deck to appease certain groups. I just don't get the people who think a comic that peaks at 30,000 is going to change anything outside its own bubble in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't get my hopes up for any kind of adaptions though, at least ones you might want. Superhero animation is pretty much limited to just little kids these days. I could only see an animated Ms. Marvel if Marvel decides to do something similar to DC Superhero Girls. If Captain Marvel does well enough I imagine they would focus on Carol Danvers, though. You might have gotten a live-action series if it was DC, but Marvel seems more concerned with their movies than anything else these days.

MajorZero wrote:
It doesn't help that most anime are inferior to Live-Action shows in almost every "adult" genres. For example, I thoroughly enjoyed Psycho-Pass, but I'm not going to show it to my friends as shining example of (post)-cyberpunk, Blade Runner and Minority Report are much better representations. Same with Black Lagoon, I love the series, but if I want to watch gritty action in all its glory I rather rewatch Banshee.

I'm the opposite. I find a lot of live-action attempts tend to be pretty poor next to anime. Especially in the realm of fantasy and sci-fi. So many fantasy movies and television don't really utilize the concept and mostly stick to a low-fantasy setting; maybe you might see a dragon but that's about it. Whether it's a limit of the medium or directors not wanting to alienate audiences by being too unrealistic, I generally find little interest in live-action fantasy shows and movies. Sci-fi is the same way. I could never get into Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, or Firefly. I'd rather watch Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Gundam.

-Stuart Smith
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
H. Guderian wrote:
The Western Industry doesn't treat us like adults, and until then the industry isn't going to gain respect.

Currently, Archer, Family Guy, American Dad!, South Park, and to a lesser extent Brickleberry, Bob's Burgers, Rick and Morty, and The Simpsons are appealing to the average working class American. I don't necessarily like all of them, but they get a high enough viewership to remain stable and go season after season.

Not currently, but King of the Hill got a full 13 seasons, and was absolutely aimed at adults. Middle America, normal, non-coastal-weirdo adults, at that.

Archer and South Park are the only ones I'd say were clearly intended for an "adult", officially Viewer Discretion Advised, audience. The rest have been more of a broad grey area, with Family Guy arguably pushing the boundaries somewhat.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
As for a niche buying large amounts of money, that's not really related to being an adult at all. You can have minors who can pay large amounts of money for something they really like, and you can have adults who will refuse to pay a large amount of money for anything short of one-time expenses like cars and homes. Most of the people I know are in the latter category: They are not hardcore fans of anything but are casual fans of a large number of things.

I don't think that's really the same thing. Kids and most minors generally will buy small scale items and branded goods, and maybe an item or two at hot topic. As an adult with a real job, I'm free to impulse buy things WAY above what I would have been able to afford before. 18-34 year-olds have the disposable income in the US, and I don't see that being that different in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 14