• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Fullmetal Alchemist Rights Expire on July 31

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
It sucks that Funimation is losing some of their most popular titles. I already went and bought 03 including the movie and ovas, as well as the rest of the manga so now I have all of Fullmetal Alchemist.

I still haven't see 03, as I been re-watching Brotherhood since I bought the Blu-Rays before Funimation lost it. Once I finish it, I'll watch 03.
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:
Once again, screw you Aniplex for your shameful pricing practices and how you've made yourself inaccessible to casual people who don't want to spend more than $100 on your crappy way of selling your shows and movies.

Saying that Aniplex s being unfair to casual fans is a weak argument to me. True, casual fans will not pay over $100 for a complete show, but I suspect they also have hard times accepting to pay $40 for a complete set from Funimation or Sentai. I believe that casual fans are important for Funimation, but mostly when they acquire titles with wide appeal like Attack on Titan. But for Aniplex casual N.A. anime fans are inconsequential.

The reason why Aniplex USA is still around after 5 years of resentment and flame wars is because enough of the more hardcore anime collectors are willing to pay their prices. Casual fans have never been (and probably never will be) a concern for AoA.

That's pretty much my assessment because there are enough fans willing to pay the prices so AoA continues to sell their shows for those prices. If no one was buying at their prices then they would lower them, but since that is not the case then why would they. It's basic economics 101 and AoA is more than happy to continue business as usual because its working for them
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad I still have all my original singles and boxes for them.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Fuuuuuuu!

Thank you ANN... I gotta go find money to get a CE now. >.<
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
ohstalon06

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:
Once again, screw you Aniplex for your shameful pricing practices and how you've made yourself inaccessible to casual people who don't want to spend more than $100 on your crappy way of selling your shows and movies.

Saying that Aniplex s being unfair to casual fans is a weak argument to me. True, casual fans will not pay over $100 for a complete show, but I suspect they also have hard times accepting to pay $40 for a complete set from Funimation or Sentai. I believe that casual fans are important for Funimation, but mostly when they acquire titles with wide appeal like Attack on Titan. But for Aniplex casual N.A. anime fans are inconsequential.

The reason why Aniplex USA is still around after 5 years of resentment and flame wars is because enough of the more hardcore anime collectors are willing to pay their prices. Casual fans have never been (and probably never will be) a concern for AoA.

That's pretty much my assessment because there are enough fans willing to pay the prices so AoA continues to sell their shows for those prices. If no one was buying at their prices then they would lower them, but since that is not the case then why would they. It's basic economics 101 and AoA is more than happy to continue business as usual because its working for them

So when shows like Kill la Kill and Sword Art Online are broadcast on Toonami and get a fairly sizable following that would be willing to buy it, like my roommate with KLK, but then can't buy it because the prices are wholly unreasonable we're just supposed to say 'Thank you sir may I have another'?

This is the mentality of Aniplex apologists that I can't wrap my head around. Shows are being lost to the 'reverse importation' specters of their own creation because of how overpriced media is in Japan compared to the US anyway. Shows that fans like myself would buy if they were the price of say, Viz's release of Sailor Moon or Right Stuf's prices on the Gundam Blu Rays. There are more fans like myself than the ones that are willing to drop the prices that Aniplex is asking for their collected sets without issuing standard editions.

Aniplex right now is acting in a similar way to how Adult Swim acted when they changed their programming philosophy in the late 2000s, the sort of 'we don't care what made us popular we're going to do things our way and to hell with whatever helped us reach this level of success in the first place' mentality. Aniplex wouldn't have Aniplex USA without the success of FMA which was all on Funimation's back and that's is what has me and many other fans upset at Aniplex. The American anime market should not turn into the Japanese market because it hurts the ability of new fans to really go out and buy a show if they like it.

I'm hoping that Funimation is able to still do well despite this and I don't think they're in any serious trouble because of Dragonball's resurgence the last few years. As a fan of FMA it hurts to see this wind up in Aniplex's walled garden because they have the mentality of 'only sell to the hardcores' which has hindered anime's appeal the last 10 or so years.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not understanding...why can't they renew the rights? Was it always going to be a limited time, despite the extreme popularity of the franchise? What happens to the manga?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
WOW this has been blown way out of proportion, I'm not defending AOA, but given that this is not a new title, I doubt they are going to start throwing out giant $300+ sets, or $60 8 parts out. And even if they do, they will still give out a standard Blu-Ray. I know they did that wit Gurren lagann, but the Blu-Ray set was brand new.

In what universe did Gurren-Lagann get a "standard" Blu-Ray release? Go search on RightStuf at this moment, and you'll see the series being sold in five parts, for $50 each. That's $250 total for a show that came out in mother-loving 2007. Even the "limited-edition" DVD set (with a few CDs! And STICKERS!!!) is going for $140. And they will never be discounted, and they will never go on sale, because **** you we're Aniplex!

Seriously, everyone. Buy region-free players. Import this stuff from the UK or Australia. And extend the biggest virtual middle finger you can to AoA in the process. If the Japanese companies want to turn our market into the psychotic parasitic wasteland that is their domestic one, then I hope to God that the entire industry crashes down around their ears, and the sooner the better.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
ohstalon06 wrote:
So when shows like Kill la Kill and Sword Art Online are broadcast on Toonami and get a fairly sizable following that would be willing to buy it, like my roommate with KLK, but then can't buy it because the prices are wholly unreasonable we're just supposed to say 'Thank you sir may I have another'?

You and your friends CAN buy it, you simply CHOOSE not to pay Aniplex's markup, which is entirely understandable. I'd be slightly more sympathetic if you had no way to watch it at all (why hello CrunchyRoll, do you have Kill la Kill for me? yes you do). Why should I have to pay $60 for Overwatch, when I can play Battleborn for $45? Or Candy Crush for free?

Getting the material directly from Japan (without translation) used to be the ONLY way to get this stuff, and for a few things (like any Macross seres) it STILL is. I don't buy Aniplex's releases because I don't consider it worth the cost, but I don't begrudge them their choices and IF they sold something (at the same price) that I wanted badly enough, I'd buy it because they would be providing me that OPTION. (I'd seriously consider buying GaruPan der Film from Japan IF it came with English subs)
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
even thouhg i think that brotherhood was the far superior version for the anime,i will at least go through to the effort to collect the original.

it did after all pull off some scenes (the canon ones) much better than brotherhood did.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I'm still not understanding...why can't they renew the rights? Was it always going to be a limited time, despite the extreme popularity of the franchise? What happens to the manga?

Funimation tried to renew the rights. Aniplex said no. It's as simple as that.

The manga should be unaffected.
ohstalon06

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
ohstalon06 wrote:

You and your friends CAN buy it, you simply CHOOSE not to pay Aniplex's markup, which is entirely understandable. I'd be slightly more sympathetic if you had no way to watch it at all (why hello CrunchyRoll, do you have Kill la Kill for me? yes you do). Why should I have to pay $60 for Overwatch, when I can play Battleborn for $45? Or Candy Crush for free?

Getting the material directly from Japan (without translation) used to be the ONLY way to get this stuff, and for a few things (like any Macross seres) it STILL is. I don't buy Aniplex's releases because I don't consider it worth the cost, but I don't begrudge them their choices and IF they sold something (at the same price) that I wanted badly enough, I'd buy it because they would be providing me that OPTION. (I'd seriously consider buying GaruPan der Film from Japan IF it came with English subs)

You're right in saying that you COULD buy it you just choose not to, but I'm mainly saying that because to an average consumer that would buy say a season of Game of Thrones for like $40, the thought of paying possibly 3 times the amount of money for maybe not the same amount of content is just unfathomable.

At least with NIS America's release of Card Captor Sakura, you're paying for 70 episodes in one collection so you're reasonably paying for like $2+ per episode (specifically if you buy on Right Stuf or the Corner Store). And even then you can buy 3 sets of the DVDs (which are like 23 or 24 eps a set) for about $45 per. For Aniplex's release of KLK on Right Stuf, you're expected to pay $40 for a 4 ep blu ray, how is anyone that came to love the show, especially during its Toonami run, expected to reasonably buy that? In addition there's no collected set that is available right now because I bet that was something Aniplex sold for a high price with a low print run and they have no plans to bring it back and thats a tragedy in and of itself.

And also about the streaming? If whats going on at Hulu is teaching us anything its that we shouldn't put our eggs in that basket because that can be turned off in an instant.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Hm, it seems to me that "hardcore anime collectors" are the people who want to spend LESS on individual releases so they can buy MORE, as they are hardcore collectors, therefore wanting MORE discs, not LESS for more money. People like me, with hundreds of discs, and very few prestige releases. Because I want to be able to buy more anime, not more prestige.

I think the better term for the people buying Aniplex releases is "prestige collectors". I'm the hardcore collector, because I collect more by spending less.

Looking at the several plastic drawers stuffed with anime discs in my room, I find it difficult to believe anyone would NOT consider me "hardcore" in the sense of collection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
There's always the new Anime Limited sets coming out in October.

Quote:
- There will only be 970 units available and this is exclusive to the UK.
- Our Ultimate Edition set will be a 31cm x 25cm replica of the gate seen in the show. You can see the concept art for this (right)

Quote:
- Inside the gate there will the entire series, spread over two boxes in a our traditional Collector’s Edition style packaging with the half the series in each.
- Following our traditional Collector’s Edition format, each of the two halves will come packed in a rigid case with a digipack to store the discs and there will also be art cards contained in each. (See images below)

Quote:
- In addition to those, there will also be a 260-page art book included with the Ultimate Edition that will act as the definitive companion to the series.
- As if that wasn’t enough, pre-ordering this before 1st October will also get you a custom Alchemist certificate, with your name and a special Alchemist name as well.
- Pre-orders for this are avaialble exclusively at AllTheAnime.com and through Zavvi.com
- The SRP for this set is £299.99, but until 5th July you can pre-order this at both sites for only £124.99 (yes you did read that right) and after that date until 1st October it will be £149.99. Any units that have not been pre-ordered will be made available following the release date to other retailers. (The SRP still being £299.99, minus general retailer discounts as deem appropriate.)

http://blog.alltheanime.com/newswire74/
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
However, Netflix still has FMAB up for streaming, so my guess is FMA will be the same way - meaning we can at least still see it legally.

Keep in mind Netflix only has 52 of the 64 Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5