• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thhyon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
世帯 個人 KID TEN   M1  M2  M3   F1  F2  F3
*2.2 *1.3 *1.5 *3.4  *0.5 *1.2 *0.7  *1.7 *1.3 *1.4   EP. 3
*3.1 *1.8 *2.8 *3.8  *1.8 *1.6 *0.8  *2.5 *3.0 *1.2   EP. 4
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I have been wondering what are they gonna do with the next Episode.

It is entirely Character-Development driven and with no action, but, it's really important for both Baugo and Iida.

However, it could cut the Anime phase, it would have been better if they had not over-used the Flashbacks in the last Episode and then added the Character development scenes at the end to keep the action going in the next chapter.

Of course, they can make-up action scenes in the next episode, nothing stops them.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that you note the Zabuza arc.

I would say that there is something similar to that in the manga but I'm not sure when it'll make the show.

I mean similar in the sense that it has a similar antagonist who seems bad at first but has that upstanding moral code that makes you like him later.
Thhyon

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
世帯 個人 KID TEN   M1  M2  M3   F1  F2  F3
*1.0 *0.5 *0.1 *1.3  *0.0 *1.7 *0.5  *0.0 *0.1 *0.5   EP. 5
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Watched episode 7, felt like I was watching a reaction video at times.

Get your shit together, Japan.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Every time I read a new chapter of the manga and then see an episode, I cry.

IF THERE'S NO SEASON TWO (AND THREE AND FOUR WITH THIS PACING) I SWEAR TO GOD
kgw

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
With this pacing, and since a villian is making his debut in episode #9, I think it will be a 26-episodes series, at least... Unless things go very wrong.

EDIT: shoboi* doesn't list any season end for MHA.

* a Japanese web listing every anime broadcasted in Japan and their data (episodes, channels, broadcasters...)
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, this show's pacing. It hasn't really been a problem for me until now because of stellar execution. But episode 8 is the first one for me that really felt like it was moving slow as molasses.

They could have padded it by actually showing more of the later fights, rather than harping on Bakugo's brooding for 20 minutes (I love/hate his character, but the angry teen thing is starting to get old). Fairy Tail used to take this approach fairly regularly, padding episodes by giving more time to side characters and minor fights, and it usually worked out pretty well.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
DrunkAyanami wrote:
Ugh, this show's pacing. It hasn't really been a problem for me until now because of stellar execution. But episode 8 is the first one for me that really felt like it was moving slow as molasses.

They could have padded it by actually showing more of the later fights, rather than harping on Bakugo's brooding for 20 minutes (I love/hate his character, but the angry teen thing is starting to get old). Fairy Tail used to take this approach fairly regularly, padding episodes by giving more time to side characters and minor fights, and it usually worked out pretty well.

Buckle up cause Bakugo keeps the same character for basically the entire series so far. And you right it goes from interesting to annoying really fast.

Also your right Fairy Tail handled the implied offscreen stuff better, it's such easy filler i don't know why more shows don't do it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Buckle up cause Bakugo keeps the same character for basically the entire series so far.

Bakugo is a monumental idiot. He is clearly more suited to be a villain than a hero.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:31 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Bakugo is a monumental idiot. He is clearly more suited to be a villain than a hero.

spoiler[The characters (especially the villains) are aware of this and address it.
Bakugo basically tells them to go fudge themselves, he wants to be a hero]
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

He strikes me less as someone who would snapp and go rogue, and more like the kind of person that has a very self-assured, firm grasp of what he wants to be and has trouble dealing with the fact that he will have to truggle to get there. Basicly, more Flash Thompson then Eddie Brook.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I can only hope we get to see some near death moments. This is going to be so damn good! Twisted Evil I'm going to love seeing the reality check that is way beyond long past due.

Next up, a literal bravery test with some serious spice, lololol. Twisted Evil
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
^ Actually in Ep 9 Aizawa summed it up better than you or me. "You have a lot of talent so stop acting like a kid."

I don't get why Midoriya would vote for himself when it was clear that he didn't want the job. At least we know that Ochako has a thing for him. Yay for that.
Ep 9 review wrote:
(is class rep even that popular a position in Japanese schools?),

Although there is some low-grade prestige attached to it I wouldn't think so Not in a normal class.. But this is a self-selected group of kids who all are looking to be elite heroes so naturally they would all have the drive to take a leadership position if anyone would.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If this season really is only going to be thirteen episodes, then it's ultimately looking to be thirteen episodes of just hanging around school and getting to know the characters.

If it really is only 13 episodes than it is honestly going to be really underwhelming. They paced the start way to slow for that and as Sam pointed out, we've done NOTHING of any significance at all. I read the Manga so I do know where the story goes.

I'm all for the slow burn but if the show were to just end at 13 episodes and never (Albeit unlikely) ever come back then it would go down as really a rather average show in the grande scheme of things.

For context On the 13th episode was "The Terrifying Duo! Nyaban Brothers vs. Zoro". That's equivalent to about chapter 31-32 of the series, and One Piece still had similar levels of material to MHA to adapt and their chapter 100 was around episode 50ish. MHA will be at Ch100 in a few weeks.

So IMO MHA was not managed well to start and in all honesty when viewed as a whole up to where most say episode 13 will end, the end of the USJ arc, the series was above average but not as game-breaking as other shows.

If we end at 13 spoiler[Our MC, Deku, never shows his true potential, plays mostly second fiddle to ALL Might and Aizawa for the Climax, none of our supporting cast is properly developed aside from Bakugo and we will know virtually nothing about our Antagionists.]

This show needs additional episodes or seasons to have a hope of being remembered. As it is right now it looks like a show that was well received on arrival, but really lost the luster when looked back on a few years later.[/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 81