• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Animated Mega Man Show Teases 1st Visual, Story, Character Lineup

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:21 am Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
Aren't like, 2 of those shows dead now? And Sonic Boom still sucks? In comparison though, those looked pretty decent out the box (with the exclusion of Sonic which only had a shadily promoted game as its backing) so it's no surprise they did well.

Nah, Sonic Boom got good ratings for its early-morning timeslot, and I've liked what I've seen so far. Don't let Rise of Lyric cloud your judgment of the TV show.

Hoppy800 wrote:
0/10

Just plain horrible, especially when stuff from Pixar is great and if you want to go cheaper, Aikatsu Stars CG is infinitely better than this. They just didn't care.

Pixar doesn't actually do TV shows though. There have been TV shows based on Pixar properties, but they're done by other studios. (Well, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command is the only one I can think of.)

wonderwomanhero wrote:
This is why I miss the hand-drawn animation from Disney...

It ain't Disney, but it's still hand-drawn. They're just all digital now. (On the other hand, you still got shows like Star vs. the Forces of Evil and Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero, which are hand-drawn animation from Disney.)
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
Hmm...

Not sure what to make of this.

Looks like a show that could air on Disney xd.
cmads

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
Please don't take what I'm saying from the wrong side, all this crying in the internet, but guess what... this show is not for any of you, it's for kids, so your opinions doesn't matter for the demographic they are trying to reach. I don't like it too, I would really want a real Megaman tv show and I was expecting one. After reading the synopsis I realize this show is not for the fans, it's to bring new kids, create new fans for the franchise.

Now be ready for the live action Fox is in development, I can only see greatness in the future of Megaman Very Happy
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:51 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
I hate Man of Action, so I'm staying as far away from this as possible with that ugly design.

Hey, here's something to keep in mind regarding Big Hero 6; the MOVIE is actually better than the COMICS. And if another company can do YOUR OWN STORY better than YOU, something's clearly wrong.

Really, how so? Keep in mind, I've never watched or read anything of Big Hero 6. Also, how does it relate to Man of Action as I know nothing on them or the relation between them and BH6.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I wonder who cries more:

Anime fans of prom night

OR

Mega Man fans who want a decent new game/anime?

Zing!
(watch the mighty no. 9 newest trailer if you don't get the joke, it is not an insult)
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
The answer is people who actually paid for Mighty No 9 to be made.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
The original "Ben 10" and "Generator Rex" were actually good. I don't know what you're on.

Agreed, I really liked first Ben 10 and Generator Rex too.

Looking forward to a trailer.
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

wonderwomanhero wrote:
This is why I miss the hand-drawn animation from Disney...

It ain't Disney, but it's still hand-drawn. They're just all digital now. (On the other hand, you still got shows like Star vs. the Forces of Evil and Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero, which are hand-drawn animation from Disney.)

Star and Penn Zero aren't hand drawn, and aren't even all that digitally drawn anymore, including Lion Guard and the upcoming Tangled show. We put these special things called deformers on a few drawings and manipulate the rig in a manner similar to how you would animate in Maya, it's at the point where we can do decent rotations with fewer and fewer new drawings. Both shows were largely produced in Ottawa, Ontario by Mercury Filmworks, but Star went to the Philippines after episode 6 (to it's detriment) because they wanted the episodes faster, and I don't know where Penn went after it's first season (one studio I work for was supposed to take it but fell through for one reason or another).

Disney doesn't have it's own TV animation studio. storyboarding, major character design work and recording is usually done by them, but they rely on service studios, mainly Mercury at present, to rig/animate/paint bgs etc.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
Really, how so? Keep in mind, I've never watched or read anything of Big Hero 6. Also, how does it relate to Man of Action as I know nothing on them or the relation between them and BH6.

Man of Action is best known for making the Ben 10 TV shows and Generator Rex. If you've ever seen any of them, there is a particular writing style they collectively have.

Beatdigga wrote:
The answer is people who actually paid for Mighty No 9 to be made.

Eh, I don't mind. I'm quietly waiting to get Mighty No. 9. I'm not that hyped for it, but I'll pick it up and play it when I get it anyway.

TehDarkPrince wrote:
Star and Penn Zero aren't hand drawn, and aren't even all that digitally drawn anymore, including Lion Guard and the upcoming Tangled show. We put these special things called deformers on a few drawings and manipulate the rig in a manner similar to how you would animate in Maya, it's at the point where we can do decent rotations with fewer and fewer new drawings. Both shows were largely produced in Ottawa, Ontario by Mercury Filmworks, but Star went to the Philippines after episode 6 (to it's detriment) because they wanted the episodes faster, and I don't know where Penn went after it's first season (one studio I work for was supposed to take it but fell through for one reason or another).

Disney doesn't have it's own TV animation studio. storyboarding, major character design work and recording is usually done by them, but they rely on service studios, mainly Mercury at present, to rig/animate/paint bgs etc.

Something drawn digitally using tablets and touch-screen monitors is still hand-drawn. It isn't drawn on paper and cels, but it still requires at least one person who can draw.
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Something drawn digitally using tablets and touch-screen monitors is still hand-drawn. It isn't drawn on paper and cels, but it still requires at least one person who can draw.

That's cool, I think we agree that the argument between "traditional" and "digital" 2D is often a semantic one when comparing the same workflow, like with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vzBdIejVY&ab_channel=JuanjoGuarnido

but my point is that modern 2D shows, including 2 examples you gave have more in common with aspects of CG and the last 10 years of symbol-based animation than a Korra or BMTAS-- Motor City is the only good modern example where things were drawn, but that was just for the body, and even then rigs were used when it was possible. The forward trend in the work has been, good or ill, to do less and less drawing to be faster, and as a workflow process that allows us to take the animation of one person and limit the amount of whats called redraws, so that it tweens as seamlessly as possible. I personally don't like it because there are lots of instances where it'd be easier/faster to just draw something.

At the same time, animation fans would be surprised by how counter-intuitive the relationship is between the amount of drawing and the quality of animation. Star went to Toon City in Manila through half of season one: more drawing, yet worse animation.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:57 am Reply with quote
TehDarkPrince wrote:
That's cool, I think we agree that the argument between "traditional" and "digital" 2D is often a semantic one when comparing the same workflow, like with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vzBdIejVY&ab_channel=JuanjoGuarnido

but my point is that modern 2D shows, including 2 examples you gave have more in common with aspects of CG and the last 10 years of symbol-based animation than a Korra or BMTAS-- Motor City is the only good modern example where things were drawn, but that was just for the body, and even then rigs were used when it was possible. The forward trend in the work has been, good or ill, to do less and less drawing to be faster, and as a workflow process that allows us to take the animation of one person and limit the amount of whats called redraws, so that it tweens as seamlessly as possible. I personally don't like it because there are lots of instances where it'd be easier/faster to just draw something.

At the same time, animation fans would be surprised by how counter-intuitive the relationship is between the amount of drawing and the quality of animation. Star went to Toon City in Manila through half of season one: more drawing, yet worse animation.

Yeah, admittedly, I was talking semantics there. I would consider something to be hand-drawn if the first step is done by hand, even if it's digitally tweaked later. And those shows are owned by Disney, so it fullfils the "from Disney" part. I understand the intent of the original post was that they wanted something akin to Cinderella or The Rescuers or the old Mickey Mouse shorts and the like though. That won't be happening too much in the future; it's too cost-prohibitive. (And there aren't many producers of cels anymore. I remember hearing in the commentary for The Simpsons that they tried to keep things drawn on cels for as long as they could, but all their suppliers had stopped, so they switched to digital around Season 14.)

If what you say is true, and in-betweening is now done digitally and more or less automatically, they're doing a very good job at it, as I couldn't tell it apart from manual in-betweening. Looks like they're just crediting "Digital eMation, Inc." in Korea now without listing the people who work there; never really noticed it until you pointed it out. On the other hand, I looked at the credits for DHX, which to my knowledge does most of its animation in-house, and there are a TON of names of what seems to be grunt animators, which suggests to me this new way of doing things is still labor-intensive. (Then again, Flash is a completely different can of worms with what I assume is a completely different process than anything else.)

I took a look at that music video, and that's pretty interesting. I would definitely consider the bandmembers as hand-drawn even if everything else was 3-D CGI.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:46 am Reply with quote
cmads wrote:
Please don't take what I'm saying from the wrong side, all this crying in the internet, but guess what... this show is not for any of you, it's for kids, so your opinions doesn't matter for the demographic they are trying to reach. I don't like it too, I would really want a real Megaman tv show and I was expecting one. After reading the synopsis I realize this show is not for the fans, it's to bring new kids, create new fans for the franchise

I really don't understand when people say a show doesn't have to be good just because it's for kids. Being for kids should not matter at all. Unless it is an apathetic executive at Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network who view it only as a paycheck, you should put as much effort as you can into your product. Is it just a different mentality versus the West and Japan review kid shows as expendable entertainment?
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Someone mind explaining to me WTF is this monstrosity that I'm looking at that looks like something straight out of a Code Lyoko episode?

Don't tell me this is supposed to be passed off as Rockman?
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Hideki-Motosuwa wrote:
Someone mind explaining to me WTF is this monstrosity that I'm looking at that looks like something straight out of a Code Lyoko episode?

Don't tell me this is supposed to be passed off as Rockman?

It's essentially the Sonic Boom and Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures for Rockman.

-Stuart Smith
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

I really don't understand when people say a show doesn't have to be good just because it's for kids. Being for kids should not matter at all.

If you're making a show primarily for kids it does matter especially where merchandise revenue is concerned, decent to good ratings don't always help a show get renewed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5