• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Midori/Shōjo Tsubaki Café Isn't for the Faint of Heart

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The anime film's content was illegal at the time and it no longer exists in its complete, original format.

Does that mean the original cels/film of the censored scenes were destroyed? I've seen a fansub and I have the Ciné Malta DVD release. I didn't realize that these were not "complete" versions of the film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
According to Wikipedia, the original is destroyed with only bootleg video copies in existence and other parts recreated from telecine that was created before it was destroyed. I can't say how complete Ciné Malta's release is, but it's probably put together from a number of sources.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
A cafe' that's sorta like a haunted house? That's a home-run of an idea! Very Happy
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I somehow never knew that the manga was ever put out in English, despite being a big fan of the anime. I guess I never knew because of that incredibly different title.

*opens new tab and immediately buys a copy*

Welp, thanks for that. I look forward to it arriving in the mail, now. Very Happy
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I can't say how complete Ciné Malta's release is

You mean, you don't know all minutia details and facts about a relatively obscure cult film from the early 90's? Then what good are you?!

But seriously, thanks for the prompt response. I guess I never really read much about the film or manga, and I didn't realize there was so much controversy with it.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
Remembered watching the anime a while back, never want to look at it again. The content is nightmarish, and the ending is like staring into the abyss.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
I'm sure the food is actually tasty, but just seeing the appearance of it can make one with a weak stomach pass out. If anything, even I might have trouble trying to gorge on one of these horror dishes.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
This whole thing has to be some sort of elaborate prank, doesn't it? I don't mean that the movie's fake. I mean that they really can't be serious about expecting people to see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1