• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Wings of Honneamise DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It does not sound like we're going to agree at all on this. I just found it less intolerable than you apparently did.

No, and that's fine. I don't mind disagreeing, and I may have to give the dub a second chance sometime.

I personally really loved Shiro's Japanese voice. In the opening monologue, that was one of the first things that struck me about this movie.

(By the way, I looked at your ratings for various things a while back. We actually agree on quite a bit.)
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
A quality bit of fan service (albeit in an especially distasteful scene) doesn't hurt, either.

... Huh? I'm at a lost as to how the hell you'd see that scene as fanservice. If we're going to apply that label to it, why don't we also slap it on the spoiler[pseudo-rape scene] from Perfect Blue?

I'm also confused on what you mean by "distasteful." It's a pivotal scene in the film that is meant to show two things: spoiler[Shiro, who throughout his entire life had rarely, if ever, had such demanding obligations pressed upon. Ever since volunteering to go up in the rocket, he's had to overcome a good deal. Factor in the leading scientist's death and the hounding media and you do not have a completely stable man. Oh, and let's not forget that he's been trying to get closer to Riquinni and his advances have continually failed.

On the flip side, the potential victim, Riquinni apologizes to HIM the next day. I believe much of the audience's reaction is shared with Shiro's surprise when she does this. This highlights one aspect that separates Riquinni from those double-faced religious zealots that you see so common nowadays: she practices what she preaches. Forgiveness is important to her religion, and even after being almost raped, she still sticks to her beliefs.

It's also interesting how the scene itself develops, because you have Shiro idly watching her legs throughout. Eventually when she goes to change and Shiro takes his chance, he is stopped when he looks her right in the face.]

If anything, the scene could be compared to the infamous moment in The End of Evangelion. [/RESERVED FOR GATSU TO MAKE SOME SMART-ASS REMARK AND CONCLUDE IT WITH THESE: Rolling Eyes Laughing]

Anyhow, aside from nit-picking the above, and the grade on the soundtrack (it isn't fantastic, nor do I found it as bad as you claim), very nice review. The Wings of Honneamise is certainly deserving of it. It's ironic that this is the anime that brought Gainax together, and yet they haven't produced anything like it since.

Chrno2 wrote:
If they're waiting for the hardcore who like buying imports then they'll be waiting a long time.

BV USA seems to be doing as well as they'd want to, or at least well enough. I can't remember where, but I remembering seeing that the first Gunbuster 2 DVD selling over 1,000 units.

Ryusui wrote:
"Regained"? That implies they had some to begin with.

The first two Patlabor films. They did EVERYTHING right concerning those releases. And I'd find it hard to imagine any release in R1 measuring up to that quality.

I'm not trying to defend them, but they have shown competency in the past. I can only guess that it was the failing to sell Patlabor that they decided to be half-assed about all this.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
It's ironic that this is the anime that brought Gainax together, and yet they haven't produced anything like it since.

Agreed. As much as I love GAINAX's 80s and 90s work, I'd like to see another movie in this vein. Their recent work has left me wondering what has happened to them, though. Except for Tsurumaki's works, they haven't done anything worthy of their heritage.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Randall: There's a difference between all of Star Trek for that price, and two hours of Honneamise. I'd say that forthcoming Blade Runner set's a better example.

The Blade Runner collection will have separate releases for HD/DVD, Blu-ray and standard DVD in both 5 disc and 2 disc editions. You can buy the cheaper standard def version if you do not have a HD player. The Star Trek box set is like the BVUSA release since their is only one release which has both the HD-DVD and standard DVD edition on it, so like Honneamise fans will need to pay the premium price even if they want to watch the standard edition DVD.

I will compromise a bit on the OST works really well on it's own and admit I'm a bit biased since I've spent lots of time listening to the CD. There are also moments like the ED montage which I can't imagine having any other music set to. I still think that this CD is better than anything Ray Lynch (I remember him being really big in the 80s and own his first three CDs) has ever released and is every bit as cool as the Twin Peaks OST.
onefiddyone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I love the movie but don't own it because from what I heard the earlier DVD release had some major issues. Now they come out with this monstrosity. You know they messed up when ANN is saying anime is too expensive Very Happy
d.yaro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The OST might sound better separately than it does as part of the movie.

That takes me back to memorial box LD set. On the last disc they had the movie background music tracks with the original pre-production concept artwork as the visuals. I think I first watched the movie about 16 years ago. Maybe later. Maybe earlier. But I never thought of the music as not befitting the movie. I remember it as being "exotic" sounding and that seemed to match the "feel" of the movie in its depiction of a world that was so much like ours and then so unlike.
JNOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Cheap-ass releases at exorbitant prices. Yep, that's Bandai Visual for you. You know what news I'd love to hear out of them? That they're pulling out of the American market entirely. That'd be the only thing they could say at this point that would even remotely satisfy me.

Oddly enough, I bought a legitimate (a.k.a. not Hong Kong) copy of the box set online for Witch Hunter Robin (26 episodes) for $24. That is supposed to be a pretty good anime, and I don't think that 92 cents per episode is exorbitant. In fact, on the same website I found that series for, I found other series under their "Anime Legends" division for very reasonable prices (i.e. < $60 for 26 episodes or < $30 for 13 episodes).

Therefore, I think that Bandai Visual is using these (relatively) older series as loss leaders (think of sales at businesses, especially grocery stores) to get people to possibly buy their more expensive products (i.e. the Honneamise label products). Still, that strategy could easily backfire, as people who see the exorbitant pricing on the Honneamise label products might boycott ALL of Bandai's products.

Personally, I think Bandai should increase the prices a little bit on the older box sets (would paying $40 instead of $25 for 26 episodes really make it overpriced?) and make the prices on the newer and high-definition releases more reasonable (i.e. $40 for a high-def movie instead of $80). Finally, they should NEVER make people who want to buy a movie buy the same movie in two different formats.

JNOtaku
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
At best buy the legends collection stuff is 40$. That said I bought scrapped princess (plan to buy witch hunter robin, also 40$ something) and I think it's fine.

I don't know why we'd want anyone "pulling out of the market." All that'd do is make for less available titles.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:22 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

The first two Patlabor films. They did EVERYTHING right concerning those releases. And I'd find it hard to imagine any release in R1 measuring up to that quality.

Those box sets are the most beautiful DVD sets in my collection. I love how the reflective covers (reminds me of origami) have a different metallic (gold and silver) reflective color. The info booklets are good enough to be stand alone purchases. The storyboard books, unlike the Samurai 7 ones, are completely translated. The bonus DVDs have a ton of extras. The best part about the Patlabor releases is the fact that there was an economy version option for those who didn't want to spend $80 for the film! I also doubt any company will ever release an anime title that will equal the quality of the Patlabor films releases.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Quick question, Manga's original transfer to DVD was atrocious is this the same or have they used the remastered region 2 version?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote
AFAICT they used the R2 master for the DVD. Funny that the Japanese stand-alone DVD has the same price as the HD combo sets.
Descent123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
So for the DVD transfer it's better right?

But my goodness the price is too much for a single movie. They should just make a separate DVD release.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
@JNOtaku and Xanas: Bandai Entertainment USA is NOT Bandai Visual USA. Please don't confuse the two.

@Descent123: The video transfer is on the opposite end of the spectrum compared to the Manga release. It's gorgeous.

Xenofan 29A wrote:
As much as I love GAINAX's 80s and 90s work, I'd like to see another movie in this vein. Their recent work has left me wondering what has happened to them, though. Except for Tsurumaki's works, they haven't done anything worthy of their heritage.

I dunno; I'm kind of split on Gurren Lagann, even after finishing it. I mean, yeah, they're churned out plenty of crap (that I haven't seen, but hearsay pretty much indicates it is), but I think that's just the result of actually finally gaining profit. Tsurumaki and Enokiodo have at least offered very worthwhile OVAs, but the rest seems to be Gainax just going through the motions...
torensmith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Am I the only one who read the review just to see how Bandai Visual screwed up yet again?

They're using Manga's dubs, dammit. I can only think of two Manga dubs that were worth crap: they'd be Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro and Macross Plus, of course, and to this day they're legendary (though I'd love to see Cagliostro redubbed with Geneon's cast, just for the fun of it).

i know this is 2 years after the fact. But Manga did not do the dub for Macross plus. A company called Animaze did. They did most of the dubs for Pioneer in the 90's. That is why it is good. Manga was just the distributor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2