• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dragonball: Evolution's Writer Issues Apology to Fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball Evolution was a terrible movie, but y'know what? I'm grateful to it. It's because of DBE pissing Toriyama off that he felt the need to make his own movie, giving us Battle of Gods. And it's because of Battle of Gods that he remembered his love for Dragon Ball after being burnt out by years of serialisation, leading to 'F' and Super. Without Evolution, this may never have happened.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
penguin: Actually, they are justified in being upset. Have you seen Deadpool? That's basically an unofficial DBZ movie right there. So the studio could have done a better job, but chose not to.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
At least he apologized, unlike M. NIght Shamalan, who is still defending The Crap (Last) Airbender!
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad he apologized even though I sorta had fun watching it.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
He doesn't seem to acknowledge the movie's flaws. It sounds more like 'I'm sorry you're mad' than 'I'm sorry I made you upset'
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:08 am Reply with quote
Well it is good that he's apologizing to the fans of Dragonball however I feel that there is no need to apologize he did the best he could with the resources he had and I don't see any of the harshest critics of the Dragonball movie coming out and saying that they could do better which they can't no one can. Rolling Eyes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:42 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
He doesn't seem to acknowledge the movie's flaws. It sounds more like 'I'm sorry you're mad' than 'I'm sorry I made you upset'

It comes across to me as something of "I'm sorry I wrote this script" or "I'm sorry I accepted this project." He's not a fan of Dragon Ball Z. He might not fully understand what it was about the movie that made fans upset.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Topgunguy wrote:

It comes across to me as something of "I'm sorry I wrote this script" or "I'm sorry I accepted this project." He's not a fan of Dragon Ball Z. He might not fully understand what it was about the movie that made fans upset.

That in itself makes his apology even more meaningless, almost phony. If he's not a fan and he agreed to write this then the real people who should apologize are the idiots at 20th Century Fox who hired him AND gave him notes to work off of.

So typical of Fox, they have no serious regards to anything that's not AMERRRICAAAN!! F*CK YEAH!!
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Topgunguy wrote:

That in itself makes his apology even more meaningless, almost phony. If he's not a fan and he agreed to write this then the real people who should apologize are the idiots at 20th Century Fox who hired him AND gave him notes to work off of.

So typical of Fox, they have no serious regards to anything that's not AMERRRICAAAN!! F*CK YEAH!!

The director isn't American. He's from Hong Kong.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

What's your point? Don't tell me you think directors hire writers.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Dragonball Evolution was a terrible movie, but y'know what? I'm grateful to it. It's because of DBE pissing Toriyama off that he felt the need to make his own movie, giving us Battle of Gods. And it's because of Battle of Gods that he remembered his love for Dragon Ball after being burnt out by years of serialisation, leading to 'F' and Super. Without Evolution, this may never have happened.

Yeahhh I'm pretty sure all those things would've happened even if Evolution hadn't happen.

Topgunguy wrote:

Fantastic Four is an American IP.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

His family moved to the United States when he was 10 and he has worked for American production companies his whole life.
sharkjack

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
I dont want to be reminded of that horrific movie. Dragon Ball is something you simply cant make a live action movie out of it. Where do you even start with it? Goku's younger years? Or just flash backs about those years? And start off with Piccolo or even Frieza? But that makes no sense. Dragon Ball isnt something that can be proper translated to a live action movie. High quality TV series with movies, maybe. BUT IF YOU FREAKING DECIDE TO MAKE A MOVIE DONT FREAKING MAKE THINGS UP!

I completely disagree. Nothing good about dragon ball is all that heavily reliant on it being a serialized story. It isn't like One Piece, where the very essence of the story relies on the free floating adventure sense of the story. Dragon ball is at its heart about the characters and their interactions in a world that keeps changing the rules.

You could totally start with Goku arriving on earth in a scene that mirrors the Superman setup, except the point is he's sent to rule the world. Then you cut forward through him meeting up with friends, having adventures, training, fighting in a tournament. Showing fragments calms original DB fans (and leaves room for a prequel) and gets you to know Goku. Depending on how you throw things out, you could either end it at the end of the second tournament, and make the movie about Demon king Piccolo, or go through that, build up Piccolo as this rival character, and then move into the actual conflict with the arrival of Raditz.

I think the former scenario is harder to pull off, and more risky, as it relies on us caring about characters we haven't been introduced to properly, adapting the arc would take a whole lot of vision and creativity, and it covers a part of Dragon Ball many western fans have no attachment too, but it could also make for the more interesting movie if done well. You could end it with Goku being announced the strongest person on earth, and then zoom out to space, zooming out of the galaxy and onto the Saiyan spacepods, teasing the future film. (though how you'd make a satisfying movie out of the saiyan arc itself is a tough one for me, which is why I'd think the second option would be the better strategy)

The other option is to Essentially adapt the final martial arts tournament and the sayian saga into a single movie. You would probably have to move some things around, just because Goku being late like that doesn't really work for a movie (I'd argue the same goes for the original, but serialized formats make holding out for x person to arrive more bearable)

Instead, I'd have Goku arrive on time, but remark that to have a shot at beating Vegeta, he'll have to pull out all the stops, and the form he learned on King Kai's planet won't allow him to fight Nappa afterwards. If we've seen the effects of this form on his body during that training session, that's instantly believable. Then we can have two battles happening, the classic Goku vs Vegeta, and the rest of the gang vs Nappa.

Basically, this turns it into a story about Piccolo. He is the one who couldn't beat his rival in a straight fight, and at the final battle, when Nappa fires a blast at Gohan, he has a chance to win it all. Letting Nappa kill Gohan will give him an opening to kill Nappa, and whoever wins between Vegeta and Goku, Piccolo will have a solid chance to take down for good. But having spent the year training with Gohan has let him bond, and that motivates him to sacrifice his own life instead. Goku gets his big kamehameha beam struggle, Vegeta blasts off (unless they really want the giant ape, but really, do we need that?) and we get a tease of him picking up that Freeza went to Namek.

I think that's the best place to start for a dragon ball movie. You get to have the character bonding, the wacky training, the superman parallel, the massive aura and the beamstruggle that is so entrenched in the Western idea of what DB is.

Of course they could also just do something completely different and go with a Saiyaman style movie, where the reveal of the powers is gradual and the fight against Cell might cut in between as flashbacks. That could be cool too.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
sharkjack wrote:
You could totally start with Goku arriving on earth in a scene that mirrors the Superman setup, except the point is he's sent to rule the world. Then you cut forward through him meeting up with friends, having adventures, training, fighting in a tournament. Showing fragments calms original DB fans (and leaves room for a prequel) and gets you to know Goku. Depending on how you throw things out, you could either end it at the end of the second tournament, and make the movie about Demon king Piccolo, or go through that, build up Piccolo as this rival character, and then move into the actual conflict with the arrival of Raditz.

Again, Fox saw that The Young Kids Were Watching This DBZ Thing, tried to buy it out from under Warner, and in trying to develop the Raditz plot realized, OOPSIE, there was an earlier series that tells us who the heck the hero is.
And so, since they must start their "Epic saga in the tradition of LOTR" from the beginning, the DBZ Movie became the DB:Classic movie.

Of course, we didn't know that Lil' Goku was an alien for most of the entire DB:Classic series (not until Raditz told him one entire series later), so there was no particular reason to have any other Earth-destroying alien besides Piccolo Sr. The show never bothered to explain why Lil' Goku turned into a giant ape, either, so the movie now made him the "reincarnation of the ancient Monkey God".
It would be squicky, not to mention difficult casting, to have a seven-yo. hero making jokes about Emmy Rossum in the bathtub, so Goku was now starting his hero training in his teen years, just in time to be the right age to battle Piccolo as he had in the series...Seeing as the whole point of the fan-love was just getting that Tournament Arena built for real. Of course, by that point in the series, they weren't really bothering to hunt the plot-hook of the Seven Golden MacGuffin Balls like they used to when Goku and Bulma first met, but the fact that teen Goku in the movie hasn't left the farm yet was still a good excuse to bring in the funny-antagonist Shuu-Mai subplot from when Goku was still just a lil' grownup-thwarting shaver at the beginning of the series.
Oh, and since it's too hard to go from a major city to a tropical island, Master Roshi now lives in a ramshackle house in the "island" of a destruction zone. (Thought that was pretty clever. Anime smile )

Not all of these were decisions that Ramsey had to make--more likely a few executives and a half-dozen other screenwriters in abandoned scripts--but it takes more experience to make them to lure in an easily confused mainstream audience than to be the Amateur Worshipful Fanboy and say "Let's do it ALL FOR REAL, even if it's three hours long and costs $300M!!"
We just had a three-hour long $300M Worshipful Fanboy movie to punish the audience with core-canon zealotry just a few weeks ago, and look what happened. 'Nuff said.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:35 am Reply with quote
I liked the movie. But I've never read the manga or watched the anime, so for me it wasn't an adaption, just a stand alone movie ~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4