• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: And you thought there is never a girl online?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
One thing I like about the script is that Nishimural is a) not completely clueless about the girls' states of mind, and b) he doesn't let them push him around. It was really telling that when Ako was about to rebel at Saito's requirement to attend school regularly he was able to bring her in line with a look. You just don't see that kind of interaction in harem setups.

Yeah, I think this is a good point, as it defines pretty well a feeling that I couldn't quite put my finger on that the interactions were a little different than the norm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KASHIMSSKNEO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:25 am Reply with quote
So, nobody is going to complain about the differences in this episode compared to the original sources, the previous 2 episodes were interesting as they followed the same direction as the manga and LN, but this episode was meh, why do they change the yandere part when Ako spoiler[ pulled out a cutter to attack the teacher, and why do they rushed all the plot between getting scolded by her and the teacher getting framed in order to be the club advisor.]

Well, this episode was the worst for me, as I liked so much this part in the manga.

[EDIT: Please don't link scans/scanlations; that is against the rules. Also added the spoiler tags, just in case. -TK]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

What is it with anime and leeks? I was reminded of this.

Yeah, there's that but what I thought of was Ako Izumi shoving a leek/negi up Negi in Negima. Just as big as the one in this show so he just sort of... yeah. A number of people learned a lot that day.

I think this show is fine, certainly a lot better than it needs to be but I am hoping that it doesn't peak in its first storyline.

Also, the teacher is bothering me; I ran a few scenarios in my head that combined the charcteristics of: habitual liar, prone to violence, secondary childhood... come on, she named her character "Princess Kitty"?... and a total denial of everything she both was and really is, I think and the most obvious answer is "delinquent".

Most shows would use this character just for comedy, K-On for example but I'm not sure this show will take the easy way out. As I said in the other thread, I'm more curious why she not only lied but lied in such a way that she knew she must have hurt Rusian.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
and a total denial of everything she both was and really is.

Yeah there's that. I was a bit torn between questioning the character of a sensei who could and did clothesline a female student and knocking her out and on the other hand her having a student that needed to be knocked out.

At the end of the day I end up on teacher's side because all she is doing is a little bit of play acting in a video game and she is keeping it in perspective. Hiding your true identity is hardly considered a character defect in that context and it isn't like she was doing it to seduce some kids or something. You might say this still isn't a suitable activity for an adult but on the other hand many of us posting to ANN are over 50 and still watching anime.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Yeah there's that. I was a bit torn between questioning the character of a sensei who could and did clothesline a female student and knocking her out and on the other hand her having a student that needed to be knocked out.

I didn't have an issue with it at all, as Ako was in Attack Mode and there was no telling what she might pull out of that purse. (And my, that she pulled a wand out was certainly telling, wasn't it?) Frankly, I was rather impressed by the clothesline, as that's not the way you normally see unruly students taken down in anime.

Quote:
At the end of the day I end up on teacher's side because all she is doing is a little bit of play acting in a video game and she is keeping it in perspective. Hiding your true identity is hardly considered a character defect in that context and it isn't like she was doing it to seduce some kids or something. You might say this still isn't a suitable activity for an adult but on the other hand many of us posting to ANN are over 50 and still watching anime.

Yep. (And while I'm not over 50 yet, I'm closer to it than I'd like to be. Razz ) In no way did the teacher step over any line there; in fact, she was actively trying to avoid any potentially problematic entanglements with that deception.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
well, at least thanks to master, now we confirmed that the ingame models have no nipples Razz

I am liking this anime far mroe than the manga, timing is key for comedy (I just had the same experience by reading the konosubamagna and loathing it)

KASHIMSSKNEO wrote:
why do they change the yandere part when Ako spoiler[ pulled out a cutter to attack the teacher, and why do they rushed all the plot between getting scolded by her and the teacher getting framed in order to be the club advisor.]

because reasons, tho really, it's a romantic comedy so it's likely they did not want to play with such a serious thing, hatsukoi limited did the same thing a few years ago where someone is sent a bomb in the manga and it's just chocolates in the anime.

HaruhiToy wrote:

Quote:
The uber-powered leek was an especially nice touch.

What is it with anime and leeks?

I consider it a meta-joke, as the previous post about negima mentioned the other use the leek gets, the joke is about "will they do it?" whenever a leek is mentioned.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
According to a note in the manga, the joke in Negima is that leek in Japanese is "negi" . The also noted that in some form of Japanese folk medicine a leek is used as a suppository for some illness. It sounds painful.

Now how this got into other shows I don't know.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
A little amusing that they make a big deal of Ako's outfit not being the right resistance to the environment they will be questing/grinding in, yet Master is still shirtless and not a word is said
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Master's two straps are correct for any environment. Shocked I wonder if a character designer tried to come up with a challenge for cosplayers? Perhaps with some double sided tape ....
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Master's two straps are correct for any environment. Shocked I wonder if a character designer tried to come up with a challenge for cosplayers? Perhaps with some double sided tape ....
To be fair, it's technically an outfit for a male. Still weird and something that only someone with a ripped body may be able to pull off. I've only watched up to episode 2 but so far I'm really enjoying it. Its a lot better than. I expected, and though the animation isn't great I like the messy character designs. Its also cool that the game actually looks like a PC Game ( albeit with 2003 online game graphics)
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Really fantastic episode this week, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it sets up future episodes. I hadn't thought Ms. Pink was Sette because of the OP (assuming that's not a spoiler as it is in Theron's episode review), so I guess at some point she changes her character's appearance. Glad I wasn't the only one who felt a red flag too.

My only quibble with this episode is I don't feel it does enough to set up Ako's return to school in regard to her interactions with her classmates. At the end we see her talking almost normally with them and social interactions at school outside the game club weren't exactly discussed, so it seemed a bit off to me.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
well, she was not talking per se, just not runing away, which is stil a big improvement.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5 review wrote:
showing that Hideki has better insight than male leads normally have in these kind of shows.

Not only does he avoid the clueless trap but he actually gets other members of the harem to acknowledge it. Even Akane who now walks home with him as if he was one of the coolest guys in the class instead of the lowest.

In spite of that I do have one concern about his approach. It is pretty clear that Ako has real self-esteem issues, and her supposed progress or recovery attitude is totally founded on the idea that she has a real-life boyfriend. Is Hideki really serious about that or is Hideki (as well as the other club members and advisor) just letting the little fiction she invented slide for the convenience of it? If it is the latter then they are setting Ako up for a big fall down the line and she could end up worse than before.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised when after Hideki walks in on her, she closes the door and gets more naked. Usually that scene would go kyaa->pervert->violence, and it's nice they didn't do that. Although really, male anime characters should know by now that when a girl says don't open the door=I'm not dressed for company at the moment. Really just always knock before opening the door to someone else's room/the bathroom. I agree his strategy to get her back was quite clever and that her talk of reincarnation was setting off the suicide alerts.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Is Hideki really serious about that or is Hideki (as well as the other club members and advisor) just letting the little fiction she invented slide for the convenience of it? If it is the latter then they are setting Ako up for a big fall down the line and she could end up worse than before.

I was thinking along these lines as well. it was cute and childish when she said he was her husband but now that she's telling her class that he's her boyfriend, that's going to be a problem. I think the club isn't so much ignoring her problems, they don't understand it. They're indulging her fantasies too much because they think the gaming is her problem when I'd say it's more a symptom. It's not "8 grade syndrome", more like she has no persona so she defines herself and her reality by the people she knows which just happens to be RPG avatars.

The real problem coming up is that Hideki sees Ako as more of a burden and obligation than a person and... am I the only one who saw the implications in that Hideki/Akane sunset scene?

With Ako, his reaction is "what am I getting myself into?" but with Akane, the look on his face was more "Why haven't I seen her this way before?" And that makes me wonder if Nanako was warming up to Hideki to make Akane jealous and in turn more honest with her feelings. Regardless, I'm fully in their corner and I'd rather see Ako friendzoned because it's just healthier for all involved.

I got the suicide vibe as well but I didn't take that as seriously as her desire to snipe all those hateful normies after playing a FPS for a single day. Good thing there was no close quarter knife combat, she's a little to easily influenced and impulsive for normal society.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5