• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
^Hopefully they can finish the series this year. Though the Itachi arc is the best of the filler, recently if not of all Shippuden's filler
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not gonna lie; the amount of filler lately over the past few months has SERIOUSLY been hurting my soul. Now with that being said this Itachi arc is the most interesting it's been in ages. Although I still say it would've been better to finish the war THEN start the Itachi arc. But Que Sera.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
Did the novels that inspired this arc elaborate on some of the elements that have been glossed over? Like Amy, I'm mystified by the lack of attention devoted to Team Two's fateful encounter with Obito, as well as said baddie's reasons for assisting in the Uchiha genocide. If anything, Itachi Shinden works best as a collection of one-shot stories - because as a serialized miniseries, it's consistently fallen flat.

Jiraiya's Ninja Scrolls eats up nineteen episodes, whereas a filler arc people were actually looking forward to barely scrapes by with nine. As usual, it's nice to know the creative minds behind the show have their priorities together.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
According to Newtype, the episode after next will be going back to the real story.

Place your bets now on how long that'll last before something reminds somebody of something, and sends us packing off to flashback land again...

I'm guessing...three weeks.

Madara: Mwahahahaha! Give it up! You've lost!

Naruto: We never gave up when we chased ninja ostriches as kids, and we won't give up now!

Obito: ....ninja ostriches............ [stares off into the distance; cue wistful music] ...................Rin......
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
According to Newtype, the episode after next will be going back to the real story.

Place your bets now on how long that'll last before something reminds somebody of something, and sends us packing off to flashback land again...

Madara: Mwahahahaha! Give it up! You've lost!

Naruto: We never gave up when we chased ninja ostriches as kids, and we won't give up now!

Obito: ....ninja ostriches............ [stares off into the distance; cue wistful music] ...................Rin......

Not sure if that last bit was meant to be a joke or not
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
I think there's a filler arc scheduled for June or July devoted to telling Kaguya's backstory. Since she - and the rest of the Otsutsukis - are so ill-defined, it may actually prove interesting. Of course, that doesn't mean we won't see any more awkward segues into the past before then.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

That's pretty optimistic. I'm guessing they won't make it through the first episode. Not counting the recap they'll need to do.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I think there's a filler arc scheduled for June or July devoted to telling Kaguya's backstory. Since she - and the rest of the Otsutsukis - are so ill-defined, it may actually prove interesting. Of course, that doesn't mean we won't see any more awkward segues into the past before then.

Now that I would actually enjoy. Since she's the very final adversary they Team 7 has to face I would like to know what exactly caused her to lose her mind and become the way she is. All we really know about her is that spoiler[After eating the chakra fruit she went from being worshiped as the Rabbit Goddess to being feared as a Demon.] I don't know if it's just me but that's very vague.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
They couldn't even get eight full episodes of material out of Itachi Shinden? What an oddly-structured mess this arc turned out to be. Not only does it not stand well on its own, it raises questions that will likely never be answered - at least not in animated form. The first two episodes showed a lot of promise, but after that, it felt like the producers were unclear on where to take things. If the novels are ever published in the U.S., I'll definitely give them a read, if for no other reason than to (hopefully) fill in the gaps left by this uneven adaptation.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Did the novels that inspired this arc elaborate on some of the elements that have been glossed over? Like Amy, I'm mystified by the lack of attention devoted to Team Two's fateful encounter with Obito, as well as said baddie's reasons for assisting in the Uchiha genocide. If anything, Itachi Shinden works best as a collection of one-shot stories - because as a serialized miniseries, it's consistently fallen flat.

Jiraiya's Ninja Scrolls eats up nineteen episodes, whereas a filler arc people were actually looking forward to barely scrapes by with nine. As usual, it's nice to know the creative minds behind the show have their priorities together.

The two Itachi novels and this filler arc have a name in common and maybe 1 full episodes worth of novel content the rest is anime only filler. The amount skipped from the novels is so great I honestly wonder why they bothered calling it an adaption? unless the anime team just felt like trolling those who enjoyed the novels.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Rejoice, Naruto fans! The main story arc is finally back on track. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
The two Itachi novels and this filler arc have a name in common and maybe 1 full episodes worth of novel content the rest is anime only filler. The amount skipped from the novels is so great I honestly wonder why they bothered calling it an adaption? unless the anime team just felt like trolling those who enjoyed the novels.

Shocked Yikes... I wish I could say this surprised me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Black Zetsu then releases Obito and melds with Madara, culminating in the rebirth of alien entity/moon goddess Otsutsuki Kaguya.

Just looked like a big ol' chakra tick to me. They're known for spreading tsukuyomiasis.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
has it only been 30 filler eps? feels like it was more than that
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
vanfanel wrote:

That's pretty optimistic. I'm guessing they won't make it through the first episode.

I win! (I don't count last week because it wasn't a whole episode)

Wait, I think that means we all lose. Sad They showed much more restraint than I imagined possible though, I'll give them that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 44