• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal: Season III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lt_Ripley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
In the opening song, when it is said "fall in love, girls; a flower's life is short and beautiful", it was not the introduction speech that Sailor Moon said when she was going to fight the flower of Fiore in the sailor Moon R movie?
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
Second episode was good, though the animation was kinda off in spots.

Usagi here is way better than the unlikable Mary Sue she was in the first two seasons...

I didn't mind the long transformations, the battle scene was awesome and all of the Sailors got to do something and the attacks worked (plus Moon's Spiral Heart Attack was LOVELY!!!) and it was nice to see what Mugen Academy looked like and how we got to see more hilarious expressions (especially Ami's when they reacted to Usagi's disguise! Laughing ) from the others. Hope they can keep that up.

Hotaru was done well, but her cursing IMO was out of character. Shocked

Hope the sales for Blu-Rays and DVDs or whatever here for season 3 are good, I doubt they'll be good for the first two seasons when Crystal's released here, but I so far feel Toei has finally listened to us.
iatheia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
...Did they really have to spend 4.5 minutes on the transformation? It was painful to sit through. Bad enough in episode one where you would think they would do it once in full to get out of the way, and abridge/combine them afterwards, but to do it in two consecutive episodes is more than I'm willing to forgive.

At least the ED is pretty.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
I'm liking it so far. What's annoying me is that it's become way too Precure esque. They really went overboard on the cutesy MOE crap. I mean look at the Moon Spiral Heart Attack: a big fat heart tornadoes ouf of her rod, hits the monster, then exploded into glitter? Really? That made me cringe. The 90s anime had its fair share of glitter and cuteness, but this is over kill. Overall I'm still very satisfied.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Hoo boy. Well, I've already said a lot on my thoughts on Haruka, so I guess I'll just say this. For a couple as widely regarded in the QUILTBAG community as Haruka and Michiru, it feels a touch unfair that the first true-blue gay kiss we get from this series is between Haruka and spoiler[Usagi], rather than the fan favorites; add the ambiguous consent involved, and it just kind of muddies the waters for me. Having said that, for all the shiptease of Classic, I am glad to see some kind of straightforward QUILTBAG representation going on in this show.

As for the show itself, I'm glad to see the improved animation was fairly consistent, and not just a part of the first two premiere episodes. Kudos!
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Okay, now I know I'm not imagining it – Sailor Moon Crystal's third season is using a lot of yuri imagery."

You sure Kunihiko Ikuhara isn't giving the series his swag? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Ho ho ho! This season is gonna be a real doozy, I tell ya. That kiss was TOTALLY unnecessary Confused

And as we can see, not one guy the judo team can at least feel that Haruka is a girl. She must have the smallest A-cup.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
But that's forbidden love!

There is so much yuri up in this.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

You sure Kunihiko Ikuhara isn't giving the series his swag? Laughing

I doubt it, he got his yuri anime dream project last year with Yuri Kuma Arashi.
Sailor Moon had lots of yuri subtext on it own, it wasn't like Ikuhara had to do much when he was directing the franchise in the 90's. Oh but Ikuhara has to be Ikuhara about it... so he did more, much more.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
Ho ho ho! This season is gonna be a real doozy, I tell ya. That kiss was TOTALLY unnecessary :?

The kiss happens in the manga and it does serve a purpose.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:
animechic420 wrote:
Ho ho ho! This season is gonna be a real doozy, I tell ya. That kiss was TOTALLY unnecessary. Confused

Neutral Rolling Eyes
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm really REALLY surprised that the kiss between Sailor Uranus and Sailor Moon was kept.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
#838774 wrote:
animechic420 wrote:
Ho ho ho! This season is gonna be a real doozy, I tell ya. That kiss was TOTALLY unnecessary. :?

:| :roll:

Usagi never had a relationship before Mamoru, someone she is "destined" to be with. She meets her future child not long after their whirlwind romance begins. She never gets the chance to experience anyone truly "romance" her because her (romantic) future is already written in stone by destiny. She definitely displays some bisexual tendencies at several points in the manga. So not only did she suddenly become in a 500% committed relationship, she also never explored that part of herself and she's a teenage girl, the peak of "omgeveryoneissocute!"

I'm not saying she's suffering in any way by being romantically attached to Mamoru, but of course it's natural to be curious and have crushes at that age as well. Haruka is a flirt and likes to tease cute girls, and Usagi is clearly a satisfying target in this respect.

It adds some dynamics to the generic "blah blah blah destiny" couple although not too much since it was never brave enough to push it that far. I have no problems with it, I wish it would've gone further honestly.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
Just finished the episode today. It was OK and not too bad for being close to the manga. Loved the hilarious facial expressions and interactions, like Usagi when she was like "AAAAH!!" around Haruka Laughing

I did love some of the beautiful scenery also, like the camp in the mountains, Sailor Moon looking out at the city when she thought she lost Uranus...

Battle scene could have been better though. About Mars' Snake Fire attack, well to quote the TF2 spy, well this was a disappointment. Sad

I mean, it looked cool, but if an attack doesn't work, then it doesn't look that cool to me. At least Mercury came in to save them, but Mars didn't even get to attack Eudial and turn her into a monster (missed opportunity), Moon had to finish her off; I don't want this to end up like most battles in seasons 1 and two, if you know what I mean. Sad

And Eudial also has no personality in here...sigh. Sad

Then the ending. That kiss (I'm not against gay people, I'm all for the HarukaxMichiru ship) was a big "WTF???" moment to me in the manga, and made me slightly uncomfortable, and here, I felt an even more uncomfortable feeling, there it looked almost forced. That was one of the reasons why I preferred the Outers in the 90's anime rather than in the manga....

I give this episode 3 out of 5 stars. Not as great as the others, could have been better, but nowhere near as bad as the OTHER episode 3...
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:03 am Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:

Usagi never had a relationship before Mamoru, someone she is "destined" to be with. She meets her future child not long after their whirlwind romance begins. She never gets the chance to experience anyone truly "romance" her because her (romantic) future is already written in stone by destiny. She definitely displays some bisexual tendencies at several points in the manga. So not only did she suddenly become in a 500% committed relationship, she also never explored that part of herself and she's a teenage girl, the peak of "omgeveryoneissocute!"

I agree with this - ever since she awakened to her past life, Usagi's life as "Usagi Tsukino" has pretty much been forfeit - there's no more normal for her. Haruka allows her to have an experience she otherwise wouldn't have, and while I do wish it was more consensual, I can also see that as a built-in "escape route" for her - she's not guilty of cheating on Mamoru because Haruka did the kissing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20