• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ushio & Tora

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I think it's impressive that they are actually doing the whole series, sure stuff is getting cut out but most anime series don't make it past a single 12 or 13 episode season, even those that are currently very popular in their manga/novel form.

well here's the thing most of those show that are cut down to 12 or 13 episodes is because their manga counterparts are still being written, wheres Ushio and Torra got animated years after the manga finished like Parasyte.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I think it's impressive that they are actually doing the whole series, sure stuff is getting cut out but most anime series don't make it past a single 12 or 13 episode season, even those that are currently very popular in their manga/novel form.
the problem is some of what they're cutting out.

the Western Bakemono War arc involves some thing that lead to stuff that have some serious importance in the final battle spoiler[their differences and how they finally get past them and work together and what they're able to do working together BECAUSE of their past differences is a big deal. also I'm admittedly miffed the battle between Tora, Raishin, Kagari and the Western kamaitachi trio isn't getting animated because that was pretty damn awesome. that getting left out from the Ushio & Tora anime has me as disappointed as I was seeing the Train and River vs Shiki and his bug monster fight left out of the Black Cat anime].

the removal of the Resurrection of the Beast Horde arc (if that's not shuffled to a later event) will remove the introduction of some rather important characters that are heavily involved in the final battle spoiler[because the Azafuse pretty much exist to defeat Hakumen no Mono as they're all former wielders of the Beast Spear. and Guren, the Azafuse siding with Hakumen no Mono, is pretty much a big deal since not only is he siding with Hakumen he also killed Hyou's family].

IIRC in the manga Kyoura plays a decent part in the final battle too, and his little four chapter arc was cut from the anime as well.

it's one thing to cut out some significant stuff if the manga is ongoing and it has to be condensed because of constraints that causes or there's no indication how important it will be later. but when you're working with something that's already done you can better plan to remove stuff that can be removed while still leaving important stuff in.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
How do you know they've cut it rather than rearranged things? We've already had people moaning about cuts that showed up a couple episodes later, and we've still got 13 to go. What takes pages to cover in manga can go by in seconds in animation.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
IIRC they've covered about 133 chapters of content in the first two cours not counting stuff that wasn't adapted to the TV anime.

the manga is 312 chapters long.

the Western Bakemono War arc has 34 chapters, the Resurrection of the Beast Horde arc has 7 (and there's a standalone chapter before that which introduces a character who helps out in the Before The Wind Blows 3 chapter arc (which is coming next, given The Wind Blows is the name of the final chapter in that arc). the first chapter of that is chapter 246 of 312 and there's not much that can be cut out after that if they're going to keep true to the final battle.

if they're not introducing Guren then two chapters near the end can be left out and some of the stuff can be streamlined a bit more, but Guren plays a part in the Resurrection of the Beast Horde arc that can't be left out so that's no ideal.

it seems like if they were doing two seasons that were two cours each it could have worked, but with only a single cour planned for the next bit there doesn't seem to be enough time since some of the stuff left out in the first season works best occurring BEFORE the next arc they're going into (which I'm guessing will be condensed into a single ep).
Kazamuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
Ahh this was a good series and an exceptionally fun ride.

At first I was a little suspicious about this series' structure, which was episodic and random plot relevance here and there. But I got used to it pretty quickly. The characters were pretty good especially Tora, I never get tired of him!

Love the old school atmosphere to this as well, thank you MAPPA.
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
OK, those first two episodes of Season 2 were pretty much mind blowing and the seeds are already being set in place for the final epic show down.

Bring. It. On.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Tora is one of the most expressive animated characters I've seen in recent years. The look of child-like contentment on his face as he ate a popsicle was priceless. (It's also nice to see him expand his decidedly limited palette.)
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I liked this episode, but I couldn't shake the feeling that large swaths were cut out at some points. Like Kirio suddenly being cool with Ushio, this weird moment when Guren has Hyou by the head, ready to claw his eyeballs out, then Ushio yells, and then suddenly Hyou's on the ground with a shuriken stabbed into Guren's body. And that the stack of azafuse just....appears out of nowhere when they were all touching the ground before. Dunno if my player was acting up or what, it just felt a little jarring this time around.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
@whiskeyii: I got that same impression from the latter two you mentioned as well. I thought it was weird, like a part of the scene wasn't implemented, causing those moments to transition rather oddly.

Quote:
I am especially disturbed by the one with a sphincter crammed full of teeth for a mouth.

Ditto. I kept wanting to call it a certain something as it wasn't doing my mind any favors.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I liked this episode, but I couldn't shake the feeling that large swaths were cut out at some points. Like Kirio suddenly being cool with Ushio, this weird moment when Guren has Hyou by the head, ready to claw his eyeballs out, then Ushio yells, and then suddenly Hyou's on the ground with a shuriken stabbed into Guren's body. And that the stack of azafuse just....appears out of nowhere when they were all touching the ground before. Dunno if my player was acting up or what, it just felt a little jarring this time around.

Yeah, while I really enjoy the anime, as someone who loved the manga, I'm also not entirely satisfied with the adaption.

Kirio had a whole mini-arc where he met Mayuko, and then Ushio became "cool" with him. It happened organically; in the anime, it just happens. And yeah, when Hyou stabbed Guren...it skipped. There wasn't even a sound effect? Meh.

Once again, I urge anyone who liked the anime to read the manga for the full experience.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Every shonen show needs to have its obligatory level up episode, and this was a good one. :D
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting them to reveal that Nagare was under some sort of enchantment, so finding out that his betrayal was genuine was pretty surprising. I also loved the facial expressions he displayed throughout his battle with Tora.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I was expecting them to reveal that Nagare was under some sort of enchantment, so finding out that his betrayal was genuine was pretty surprising. I also loved the facial expressions he displayed throughout his battle with Tora.

Ditto. Man, that episode was pretty gut-wrenching. I kind of both love and hate that this show just drops bombshells on us like it's nothing, like how Ushio spoiler[might be turning back into a beast]. I'm sure the setup is somewhere in the manga (and maybe also on the cutting room floor), but I was just sitting there like "Bwhaaaa?"

Not looking forward to Tora and Ushio's reunion this time around. >.>
hack5

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the mom spoiler......i swear omg
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused, he was supposed to stop them destroying the pillar. So he did he go inside the pillar?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12