• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter: Legendary, Warner, Sony Bid for Live-Action Pokémon Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood, please stop destroying our childhoods.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Call me when a live action Digimon movie is announced because that has more story potential for Hollywood and as for Pokemon getting a live action movie, I am surprised it has taken this long to make one and I got to wonder how the film is going to get over the cock fighting accusations.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I am calling it now, this will be the best comedy film of that year!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:

Just to point out what someone's mentioned before on a different forum about this topic, most Asian countries have a culture of not wanting to draw attention to themselves, hoping that problems will eventually be smoothed out. The whole collectivist vs. individualist type of society thing. Although it may be a little different for Asian Americans, but I imagine they have a similar mentality from their upbringing. It's definitely not an ideal mentality to have in this very vocal society.

Exactly. That's the reason why Asians are so underrepresented in Hollywood productions and why most of the Asian continent is still viewed as this exotic land. Because Asian cultures encourage people not to draw attention to themselves, they are thus never heard and never noticed.

kpk wrote:
Please let it be about Mewtwo! Mewtwo is the best Pokemon! Laughing

Also if you do make it about Mewtwo make him the hero and Ash and co the bad guys, they are animal molesters after all! They do not deserve to be called the good guys! Let Mewtwo see what humanity does to the poor Pokemons and fight us for them! Let him be the "Squealer" of the film.

So basically...Mewtwo Strikes Back from the perspective of PETA?

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Giving the fans what they want isn't necessarily the easiest path to success especially given how varied and different those interests may be. And you actually better run the risk of screwing things up that way. Plus honestly movie projects even those based off existing works shoild be the director and the scriptwriters trying to make the work they want making a few tweaks here and there instead of pandering to a sometimes picky and entitled crowd.

Agreed. Look at what the Sonic franchise has become, and it's all because SEGA bends over backwards to please its fans.

The way I see it, if you have a successful franchise with a healthy fanbase, just keep doing what you've been doing before and don't be swayed by fans suggesting all sorts of weird derailing stuff.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Stilted as the prequels may have been in their storytelling and motivations of some characters. Still better than evil empire being evil just because and lone retired Jedi and a motley crew aboard a stolen spaceship rescuing princess with silly looking hair.

I should point out that, in an interview in one of those recent Shonen Jump author books, that Eiichiro Oda, author of One Piece, actually likes the prequel trilogy. His reason is because its world-building is unparalleled, and he believes it would be fun to live in a world as is depicted in the prequels.

Sitensis wrote:
But will he eat onigiri or sandwiches?

It was a donut, not a sandwich.

We all called it a donut in the schoolyard anyway despite us being in one of the parts of the country where everyone can recognize an onigiri.

Hoppy800 wrote:
Hollywood, please stop destroying our childhoods.

Childhoods are meant to be destroyed! How else do you pave the way for adulthood?
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I think this would fail harder then another Super Mario Bros movie.
vision33r

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood will cast Justin Bieber as Ashe.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:
Hollywood will cast Justin Bieber as Ashe.

They're making a live action adaptation of Final Fantasy 12? Razz

leafy sea dragon wrote:

I should point out that, in an interview in one of those recent Shonen Jump author books, that Eiichiro Oda, author of One Piece, actually likes the prequel trilogy. His reason is because its world-building is unparalleled, and he believes it would be fun to live in a world as is depicted in the prequels.
Crying or Very sad

Wouldn't surprise me if true given how good Oda is with worldbuilding and creating breathtaking locales and settings.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Forget about whitewashing…does Pokemon even translate that well with a real-life depiction? Yes, it is just animal creatures fighting each other, but the property does not strike me as one that would necessarily work gracefully in a live-action setting or one that really needs to be done as such, at all. The Pokemon would likely look and act ridiculous if rendered in a more realistic manner or out-of-place if they retained their cartoony look to some degree in a 2.5D/4D mix. I'm not one of those type that act as if no animated or video game property can be done in live-action, but some work better than ones, and presentation is one of the very top concerns. With something like Pokemon, I'm having difficulty seeing how it could properly be done.

…Well, not that Hollywood cares. A good opening weekend fueled by families and children (and the headlines that come along with it) alone can make at least one movie worth it. Even if it eventually falters and bad reviews help it sink faster, there's always its post-theater sales life and merchandising. And fully expect a trilogy to be in place before the screenwriter's(s') pen(s) hits the paper…because "franchise" and stuff…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Forget about whitewashing…does Pokemon even translate that well with a real-life depiction? Yes, it is just animal creatures fighting each other, but the property does not strike me as one that would necessarily work gracefully in a live-action setting or one that really needs to be done as such, at all. The Pokemon would likely look and act ridiculous if rendered in a more realistic manner or out-of-place if they retained their cartoony look to some degree in a 2.5D/4D mix. I'm not one of those type that act as if no animated or video game property can be done in live-action, but some work better than ones, and presentation is one of the very top concerns. With something like Pokemon, I'm having difficulty seeing how it could properly be done.

I don't see anything that a live-action adaption of Pokemon could offer than anime can not. Anime is an inherently superior adaption medium because it can mimic an artist's original style, for one thing. While the anime's style has evolved over time, the Pokemon still look far similar to Sugimori's designs than any live-action rendition would. But the same is true for every cartoon to live-action adaption I have ever seen. Pokemon would be far more awkward than the Chipmunks or Underdog's adaptions though.

Story-wise, it would be incredibly rushed. A big complaint about The Origin was it was rushed and reduced a lot of key things like gym battles to a few second cutscenes. If the movie is going to follow the whole collect 8 badges and fight the champion story, it will be heavily condensed and rushed. Given the trend of these kinds of movies, I have to imagine it will focus on Generation 1 almost exclusively and be like a reboot to cash in on nostalgia because most Hollywood adaptions are cash grabs for nostalgia like the upcoming Power Rangers movie.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

I don't see anything that a live-action adaption of Pokemon could offer than anime can not.

The main character might actually win the Pokemon League and actually grow
(or be replaced by a new main character instead).

Guile wrote:

Story-wise, it would be incredibly rushed. A big complaint about The Origin was it was rushed and reduced a lot of key things like gym battles to a few second cutscenes. If the movie is going to follow the whole collect 8 badges and fight the champion story, it will be heavily condensed and rushed..

How do you figure that when they could easily just spread that across a set of films?

Also it's not like you would have to dedicate a whole of time to focusing on the Gym Leaders prior to battling them anyhow considering the original game avoided that. Though
the latter games added in some filler aspects like Whitney and Clair in GSC refusing to give you the gym badges due to being sore losers.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
When I first heard about this,I was in disbelief. They're going to attempt to do a live-action version of "Pokemon?" Why would they want to try? For the most part,I wouldn't have any problems with an American version of an anime if I thought it would be a good idea. I don't think a live-action version of "Pokemon" could ever work even if the Japanese did it themselves.
This is the sort of thing that could only work in animation. There's no other way it would work otherwise. And,because "Pokemon" is so beloved by a lot of people,it would be seen as a desecration of their childhood that it would bomb even if it were made competently. So,does the world need a live-action version of "Pokemon?" No way. It would count as one of the biggest cinematic bombs in history on the level of the 1978 film "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." And,that's not what the world needs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4