• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter: Legendary, Warner, Sony Bid for Live-Action Pokémon Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sleipmon4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote
Well, this is going to be a pile of hot trash.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote
Please let it be about Mewtwo! Mewtwo is the best Pokemon! Laughing

Also if you do make it about Mewtwo make him the hero and Ash and co the bad guys, they are animal molesters after all! They do not deserve to be called the good guys! Let Mewtwo see what humanity does to the poor Pokemons and fight us for them! Let him be the "Squealer" of the film.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd be more optimistic about a live action Pokemon than just about any other anime. It really hinges entirely on the CGI. I mean, Pokemon has a pretty barebones plot as it is. You could do just about anything as long as the monsters looked cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sitensis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:39 am Reply with quote
When using live humans, you'll of course go for how the characters would look if they were real people, you don't use make-up or whatever to achieve the anime hair or eyes, you re-think of the features and how they would look in real world.

Jessie's hair, for example, would look awkward as f if re-created exactly as in the anime, so the logical thing is to go for a woman with a mundane hairdo, probably only sharing the characteristics of length and color.

The problem is, Pokemon do not look realistic. In the medium of anime where people do not look realistic either and are highly stylized, it doesn't stick out.

But if you keep the creatures as they are, it's going to look unconvincing in a real world environment. If you re-design the creatures, it's going to be disturbing for the majority, probably.

In the anime environment, there's not much difference between a machop's eye and a human's. Does this mean machop would have eyes like a human's if it was real? Probably, but the thought of it is unsettling, no? Then again, there's no way pasting a machop ripped from a 3d game environment is going to be satisfying.

There's just no way out of this. Laughing
DisneyLM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
I'd rather it go to Disney. Well, Marvel Studios. I mean, they do amazing CGI.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Better cast a Japanese person as the lead, or you'll be called "oppressive" by the Special Snowflake Squadron.
Nice strawman!
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:31 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Can we get this instead, Hollywood? Rolling Eyes

Where do you find this stuff? I actually watched enough of that cartoon as a kid that I can sing most of the theme song to this day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
I have a bad feeling that they're gonna whitewash it like all of the other live-action anime adaptations.

Considering none of the cast sans Brock looked Asian to start with.

revolutionotaku wrote:

- Stay true to the original source.

Depends on how much you want the adaptation to stay true to the original source and what
would be practical and sensible to use in that sense.

revolutionotaku wrote:
- Give the fans what they want. Not what you want.

Giving the fans what they want isn't necessarily the easiest path to success especially given how varied and different those interests may be. And you actually better run the risk of screwing things up that way. Plus honestly movie projects even those based off existing works shoild be the director and the scriptwriters trying to make the work they want making a few tweaks here and there instead of pandering to a sometimes picky and entitled crowd.

revolutionotaku wrote:

Don't make a movie just to sell product. (Yes.. I know it's Pokemon. But don't force it down our throats too much.)

This movie is going to be targeted primarily towards kids don't see them not doing that.

revolutionotaku wrote:

I think that's why the Marvel movies and now the NEW Star Wars movie are so popular.

New Star Wars is also divisive in spite of it's popularity due to some feeling it had too many callbacks to "A New Hope" and from the crowd who still haven't moved on from the old overexposed original trilogy.

revolutionotaku wrote:

But I didn't like any of the characters or cared about the situations (trade deals?? come on)

Stilted as the prequels may have been in their storytelling and motivations of some characters. Still better than evil empire being evil just because and lone retired Jedi and a motley crew aboard a stolen spaceship rescuing princess with silly looking hair.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
So Dragonball Evolution really was a hit since it's spawning a sequel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sitensis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Considering none of the cast sans Brock looked Asian to start with.

But will he eat onigiri or sandwiches?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Sigh can Hollywood stay out of anime all ready all its going to do is suck
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
Excuse me while I go into a corner and shake my head.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
so is the main lead forever stuck as a ten year old as well while everyone around him gets older?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
This will probably be like Speed Racer: every bit as awesome/terrible as the original.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Sitensis wrote:

But will he eat onigiri or sandwiches?

He'll eat rock candy and rocky road ice cream Razz

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4