• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Impressions: Senran Kagura: Estival Versus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Europe gets shafted a lot of times too, I have to wait two months for Fire Emblem and I have to pay roughly 10% more than Americans.

I guess the grass is always greener on another continent.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Just find it funny people here fighting to be included in gaming when they used to throw others like FPS gamers ("dudebros") under the bus
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Just find it funny people here fighting to be included in gaming when they used to throw others like FPS gamers ("dudebros") under the bus

Remember back when people who play mainly sports games like Madden NFL were deemed "casual gamers," then they got moved upwards with the Wii audience?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
I think Todd has a really fair view on Senran Kagura. It's a competent game, but it's really hard to escape the way it treats its women. You can skip the disrobing animations, but you can't skip the clothes-shredding or the emphasis on how humiliated these girls look. Just having the option of skipping these things would have been nice, because the game looks fun, but I really don't want to have to put a girl through the wringer for a shot of boob.

And the thing is, I like boobs. I'm cool with pervy games. I played SRWOG: Endless Frontier. I got into Rogue-likes because of Izuna the Unemployed Ninja. Skullgirls is my favorite fighting game. The difference is that even though those games were naughty, they're still tongue-in-cheek and honestly in good fun. Sure, constant jokes and emphasis are made of Kaguya's impossible rack, but it's not to the point where the game emphasizes that she's in tears over how everyone gloats over her chest.

I know that the defense is that the girls have deep stories, but that just feels like an excuse, and Todd's got a point: I don't want to see characters I actively care about reduced to meat for the proverbial grinder. (Moreso if they're being humiliated over it all.)

There really has to be a better way to handle this kind of thing. The wait for a game equivalent to Smut Peddler continues.

This is how I feel about Senran Kagura.

Let me be honest: I [expletive] love oppai. I love anime chicks with tits individually the size of their heads. On Danbooru I have 14 pages of images with the tag "huge_breasts" favorited. I am obsessed with oppai. I honestly think that the boobs in SR aren't big enough. Seriously, do any of these chicks have tits the size of (mildly NSFW) this, this, or this (the second image being the full version of my avatar)? Like none of these girls appear to have boobs large enough to count as huge_breasts on Danbooru as opposed to just large_breasts. I question Takaki's devotion to oppai.

However, I have zero interest in SR because of the constant shoving in my face it does. I like boobs. I see the boobs. I don't need the boobs rammed in my face with no way to skip these awkward clothes tearing animations. It's just puerile and honestly pretty creepy, especially since all these women are supposed to be strong warriors. It's also really stupid to cut away your gameplay to cheesy fanservice, breaking the flow and pacing of combat. It's not sexy, it's not erotic, it's just...dumb. No subtlety, not even a minor attempt at sensual titillation--it's the fanservice equivalent of extremely hammy theatre acting: it's loud and in your face, but devoid of any real thrill or impact.

Compare this to...say, Hyperdimension Neptunia, where the excessive fanservice is restricted mainly to story events, whereas actual gameplay is mostly devoid of it. The CPU's are very attractive, as are the Candidates. I can see for myself. I don't need the game shoving their tits and asses in my face saying "HEY LOOK AT THIS". I'll enjoy their looks during the story scenes.

(In HDN1, Black Heart had a special skill that ends with her winking and swaying her hips while facing the camera; I can safely say that said pose was sexier than anything in Senran Kagura, because it was understated and not grossly excessive)

So there. I would love to get behind SR's "titty ninjas fudge yeah" concept but the execution is so sophomorically puerile it's just unappealing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Remember back when people who play mainly sports games like Madden NFL were deemed "casual gamers," then they got moved upwards with the Wii audience?

That's like "gamers" who only "play" visual novels

Chagen46 wrote:

Seriously, do any of these chicks have tits the size of (mildly NSFW) this, this, or this (the second image being the full version of my avatar)? Like none of these girls appear to have boobs large enough to count as huge_breasts on Danbooru as opposed to just large_breasts.

Danbooru doesn't like hotlinking

Chagen46 wrote:

However, I have zero interest in SR because of the constant shoving in my face it does. I like boobs. I see the boobs. I don't need the boobs rammed in my face with no way to skip these awkward clothes tearing animations. It's just puerile and honestly pretty creepy, especially since all these women are supposed to be strong warriors.

Girls are at their most appealing when they look humiliated! Just ask around, like a girl on a rebound
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
Complaining about Senran Kagura because the breasts aren't obscenely big (like they are
in some of the official artwork/promotional material) while ironically complaining about
how in your face the game's fanservice is?

Not only am I'm shocked.......but confused as well.

Also I think you need to replay Burst and Versus (or do so if you haven't)
Since those games let you skip the clothing destruction scenes much like they let you skip
the Shinobi Trasformation sequences.

Unless instead of skipping those you really meant to turn them off altogether.

Also while HyperDimensionNeptunia (Rebirth) doesn't share all of Senran Kagura's level of fanservice it still has some fanservice elements that of course not everyone will like from the revealing outfits of the CPU's to some of the characters wearing outfits designed to show off their assets.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Complaining about Senran Kagura because the breasts aren't obscenely big (like they are
in some of the official artwork/promotional material) while ironically complaining about
how in your face the game's fanservice is?

Not only am I'm shocked.......but confused as well.

Not sure where the problem is. I was mostly joking, and a girl who simply happens to have big boobs is much different than when the game is leering over her camera-wise during gameplay.

Really, the fact I dislike is that the fanservice is awkwardly shoved into the gameplay. And the tit jiggle. I must be the only non-gay man in the world who thinks over-the-top jiggle is incredibly unsexy. SR's fanservice has no tact or subtlety--it's just loudly shoved into your face without even an attempt at being, I dunno, arousing. It just makes me roll my eyes and groan.

Like...a girl merely having large breasts isn't fanservice dude. You seem to think it is. Fanservice is when the camera focuses on a character to make them look sexy.

And I forgot Danbooru doesn't like hotlinking. Here's the direct links to two of the images (NSFW warning again):

http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1895558?tags=mamuru
http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/2099378?tags=facominn

Quote:
Also I think you need to replay Burst and Versus (or do so if you haven't)
Since those games let you skip the clothing destruction scenes much like they let you skip
the Shinobi Trasformation sequences.

Unless instead of skipping those you really meant to turn them off altogether.

I meant the latter.

Quote:
Also while HyperDimensionNeptunia (Rebirth) doesn't share all of Senran Kagura's level of fanservice it still has some fanservice elements that of course not everyone will like from the revealing outfits of the CPU's to some of the characters wearing outfits designed to show off their assets.

Well...yeah? My point is that HDN doesn't have eye-rolling clothing destruction sequences during gameplay or absurd tit jiggle. It has a lot eyecandy and fanservice, but they mostly show up in story events. Fanservice shouldn't interrupt gameplay.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Like...a girl merely having large breasts isn't fanservice dude. You seem to think it is. Fanservice is when the camera focuses on a character to make them look sexy.

Fanservice is a catch all term that describes the act of doing something designed to draw the attention of certain audiences it doesn't have to just involve the camera shots focusing on specific parts of male or female character's body if at all.

It can feature into things

Dialog
Character design
Character customization....three different bits of fanservice that both Senran Kagura and Hyper Dimension Neptunia have.

Chagen46 wrote:

Well...yeah? My point is that HDN doesn't have eye-rolling clothing destruction sequences during gameplay or absurd tit jiggle. It has a lot eyecandy and fanservice, but they mostly show up in story events. Fanservice shouldn't interrupt gameplay.

The point was what you might not consider eye rolling, groan inducing, or absurd fanservice by comparison can easily be seen as such when it comes to something like HDN which if I recall correctly Todd doesn't like too much for that reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6