• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Skip Beat! English Dub Kickstarter Campaign Casts Erica Lindbeck as Kanae

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azhanei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
#854556 wrote:
doesn't Kamisama count as a Shojo? that got dubbed quickly and had second season plus OVAs soon after the first season.

Shoujo anime itself, when compared to shounen and titles seen as "gender neutral," is seen as a niche even within anime circles. I specify anime, because most industry folks see how well manga sells. Anyway, within shoujo anime, the kind that is seen as the least risky are shows with fantasy elements: from straight magical girl like Sailor Moon, to fantasy-laced reverse harem like Fruits Basket, Fushigi Yuugi, etc.

Probably the next safer bet is bishounen anime, that newer spin on the reverse harem. Think Ouran High School Host Club, Free! (though I argue Free! is more slice-of-life/sports hybrid with bishounen in the mix).

Then you have shows like Skip Beat, which has a female lead in what one would think is a classic love triangle, but it's not. It's almost an anti-romance love story. Traditional romance comedy ideas tweaked or turned on their heads. So start with that: it's hard to label, which in industry eyes makes it hard to market. No magic -- though there are touches of psychic ability and grudges-turned-mascots -- and the boys main goal isn't tripping over themselves to win the girl, even if there's a natural rivalry that forms.

See? When your business is making money for the company, not a sure thing. And then time is never on the side of any license, and the show is now eight years old. But there is something so special about this story, special enough that TV Tokyo believes it can reach a wider audience with a localized dub. Case in point: Uta-no-Prince-sama has a US release. Subtitled only. While a lot of harder anime fans like sub, there are a number of casual fans who will watch only a dub. So there is a slice of the market that will never watch even a popular show like Uta-pri because it's not localized.

Sometimes people look down on casual fans, but their money spends like a hardcore fan, and profits everyone.

Edited to remove overquoting. --willag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
@azhanei
you know so much! You should would for marketing. Thanks for clearing that up. it makes a lot of sense. Skip Beat is unique which is why I love it. I wish there was more like it. I hope it gets funded so a second season might be possible! FLCL just got a second season so they are understanding old hits are worth investing in even if it's been 10+ years.

Edited to remove overquoting. --willag
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
Kicktraq has a "Trending Toward" number and a "Projection Range". The "Trending Toward" number indicates this Kickstarter will be easily funded, while "Projection Range" indicates that it might or might not be funded. I don't know how much weight to give either assessment.

Funding: $106,374 of $155,000
Trending Toward: $173,859, 112% of Goal
Projection Range: Low: $134,226; High: $174,382

Projection Cone: Skip Beat! Official North American Release:
https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/85938147/skip-beat-official-north-american-release/#chart-exp-projection

I don't get those projections. How can the "Trending Toward" number be higher than the highest estimate on the chart below?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:50 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

It can happen. Crowdfunding campaigns, especially high-profile ones, get big boosts near the end. You get a lot of people sitting on the fence, either not sure if they want to contribute or not or they want to make sure it'll reach the goal before they contribute.

We're about two-thirds through, and they have about two-thirds of the goal. I have seen campaigns succeed with far less relative to their own goals at 12 days remaining. (Although none of them made it to their stretch goals.)

Any Kickstarter project that gets funded, chances are there would be a follow-up late pledges via PayPal for slacker backers. That extra money can then get added for the stretch goals.

#854556 wrote:

Skip Beat is unique which is why I love it. I wish there was more like it. I hope it gets funded so a second season might be possible! FLCL just got a second season so they are understanding old hits are worth investing in even if it's been 10+ years.

FLCL is getting a continuation because it's a big hit in Adult Swim and thus CN would supply funds (just like The Big O 2nd season).
azhanei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Update: the campaign just hit $110,000! Waiting for the VA announcement for Sho Fuwa!
CrazyDreamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't get those projections. How can the "Trending Toward" number be higher than the highest estimate on the chart below?

Because they're based on different statistical models and converge towards the actual value differently.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
They announced the VA for Sho Grant George
Desslok

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
At the current pace, they will not reach the funding goal. Of course, I am praying my hardest for last-days-push, ala miracles

Looks like the prayers have been answered. Now we just need to shatter the Blu Ray tier!
CrazyDreamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
And in the final five days, pledging went nuts, their trend-line went back up—which is not how that usually works—and they exceeded projections by more than 25% / $50,000.

The doubters have their answer.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3