• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Watches Late Night Anime in Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
You still can't say demographics is already outdated, when there are just certain genres men and women most won't touch with a ten foot pole. Barring Love Live and I think K-ON, has there been any "moe" series that became a hit with the fujoshi? Even better, a straight up non reverse harem series that is also a VN adaptation that got fujoshis railing over it.

Does Fate count? A ton of women/fujoshi/etc. have a thing for the male characters and my ex had a crush on Saber.
There are more women interested in male-targeted VNs (including eroge) than you might originally imagine, actually. Sometimes they have an interest in dressing up as characters or just like the art, but you'll definitely come across them if you go to an anime-related event in Japan. I went to a store in Osu with a lot of tapestries and artbooks and doujinshi and whatnot and there were lots of women working and shopping there. And let's not forget that some erotic manga targeted at men is drawn by women (though I can't say I know of men who draw erotic manga targeting women).

The Fate series is a good example. Not VN's, but now that I put more thought over it, the Monogatari series and IM@S are also otaku aimed anime that managed to grab the female demographic quite well.

You're right about more Japanese fujoshis being very interested and involved in the male oriented eroge market (The Rance series up until recently was written by a woman). I think I'm basing my earlier statements on the Western side of the fujoshi sphere which are more or less not interested in these with a few exceptions of course.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
The Fate series is a good example. Not VN's, but now that I put more thought over it, the Monogatari series and IM@S are also otaku aimed anime that managed to grab the female demographic quite well.

You're right about more Japanese fujoshis being very interested and involved in the male oriented eroge market (The Rance series up until recently was written by a woman). I think I'm basing my earlier statements on the Western side of the fujoshi sphere which are more or less not interested in these with a few exceptions of course.

We should be careful about our usage of the word "fujoshi" here. Not all women interested in anime/manga/eroge/etc. are "fujoshi". And no, "fujoshi" doesn't mean "female otaku", since "otaku" can refer to both men and women. It mostly refers to the stereotype of fangirls who are super interested in hot anime dudes, BL, otome games, and so on (to an extreme level, much like how some men are with otaku-centric things).

I would say most "fujoshi" don't have (or are not defined by) an interest in things like Love Live! or Monogatari. They have a somewhat separate market that may or may not reflect your view of female "fujoshi" fangirls in the West. Rather, there are quite a few female otaku out there. Some are really into eroge (one girl in my school's art club loved the work of Kuchu Yosai, who I can't find any work for outside of eroge and a few anime credits). Even here in the West, J-List has mentioned that they often get female customers buying what would normally be perceived as male-targeted, otaku-esc products. I know I've met a few, so they're not as rare as the internet likes to make you think.
BakuformerAnime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
Aren't shows like K-ON, Gochiusa and Kinmoza at a late time slot, but aimed for a young female audience? Think about it.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
It seems like the gender neutral series are the way to go since they tend to be the biggest sellers however there are some exceptions such as Kill la Kill which sold so well some people called it the Anime that saved the industry. Surprised
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
BakuformerAnime wrote:
Aren't shows like K-ON, Gochiusa and Kinmoza at a late time slot, but aimed for a young female audience? Think about it.

No they are not. Those are all Seinen. Moe shows are generally Seinen.

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
It seems like the gender neutral series are the way to go since they tend to be the biggest sellers however there are some exceptions such as Kill la Kill which sold so well some people called it the Anime that saved the industry. Surprised

Kill la Kill sold well at around 11k per volume but saving the industry? Now if you are talking about Osomatsu-san ... the first volume sold over 100k!!! Now THAT is saving the industry!
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Kill la Kill sold well at around 11k per volume but saving the industry? Now if you are talking about Osomatsu-san ... the first volume sold over 100k!!! Now THAT is saving the industry!

1st volume sales could be misleading though. Oftentimes producers sell additional merchandise, concert tickets etc. along with it. While it's safe to say that Osomatsu-San is extremely popular show, in a lot of cases I would've refrain from judging how well series is doing until we have numbers of average sales per volume.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
VoidWitch wrote:
Quote:
Also somebody not wanting to watch a show because it is shoujo is the same as someone not wanting to watch another show because is sport.

And you are confusing demographic and genre. Lol.

Also demographics are kinda BS. I can understand something like REAL to be seinen, but Wondering Son? Doesn't make any sense to me.

And most 4 panel slice of life titles like K-On are also seinen.
And some raunchy erotic titles can be shounen rather than seinen.

My opinion of why it's like this, at least initially, actually makes some sense. Seinen basically includes not just something way too graphic to be shounen, but anything too boring, too casual or mundane, too sociopolitical, too serious to be shounen. So Wandering Son makes sense as seinen. If on the other hand, it was a comedy about traps, it could've been shounen. IMO most 4koma and many slice of life manga are seinen because the stuff is a quick, easy read that gives college age readers who are part time workers and salarymen a casual break in their daily grind.

Demographics means a rough target audience that the publishers are aiming for, not who you think it should be aimed at. If Sailor Moon is serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump then it would be Shounen. Why? Because that's who Shueisha (at least initially) wants to appeal to. Maybe for cross over marketing reasons, or a bold experiment, or whatever other reason. But whatever the case, it's very clear-cut. Note that as the article states (although I disagree with Justin that it's "meaningless") that the publisher demographics does not indicate an exclusive audience, but it is an indicator of an audience that the publisher wants to include, and this is where the demographics ARE meaningful.

Quote:
Categorizing by genre is sooo much more helpful. IMO

Genre and demographics are not mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Uhhhhhh. Putting Ikki Tousen in the same "demographic" category with Trigun for example should be a crime. =p

Again, why? It's not genre.
ice_tea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:19 am Reply with quote
Removed flamebait lines. Leave name-calling out of arguments. --willag

Late night anime's audience is indeed otaku (male or female). But I still think most 'otaku" are supposed to be teens or young adults. That's the reason why a lot of anime features high schoolers/middle schoolers as main characters and with a lot of teen life situations (like who has a crush on who while denying it, such trival stuff). Someone older than that age range is obviously not supposed to be an anime fan in Japanese society. And even if they are, they are not suppsed to make up the majority of the audience (even the authors/companies think so). Older adult otaku have to somewhat put up with all the middle/high schooler characters in anime. They might not like it, but they have to put up with that to keep watching anime.

Or maybe the older adult otaku are also identified with all the anime teen.

WTF, they make shows with heavy ecchi every 3 seconds while the characters are still talking about who has a crush on who while denying it, while blushing!
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
It's not surprising when you think about it, if you are selling a product - anime is definitely a product - then you don't really want to turn away any group. Not deliberately.

Quote:
nearly everybody has a DVR or a DVD/Blu-ray set-top recorder. (People actually bought those in Japan.)

I actually bought one of those in the early 00's, it never proved as useful as I'd hoped. I still have some DVD-R's around here that were recorded on it.

Mark Gosdin

Living in Japan I thought about getting one since they never play anime at a decent hour any more. But there are...simpler alternatives to watching anime.

Of course, when I was in Japan in college from 2004-2005 I just stayed up to watch shows like Xenogears: The Animation.... at like 2:30 A.M.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
Fortunately sites like Gyao and Nico Douga save me having to stay up to watch late night anime shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:47 am Reply with quote
ice_tea wrote:
Late night anime's audience is indeed otaku (male or female). But I still think most 'otaku" are supposed to be teens or young adults. That's the reason why a lot of anime features high schoolers/middle schoolers as main characters and with a lot of teen life situations (like who has a crush on who while denying it, such trival stuff). Someone older than that age range is obviously not supposed to be an anime fan in Japanese society. And even if they are, they are not suppsed to make up the majority of the audience (even the authors/companies think so). Older adult otaku have to somewhat put up with all the middle/high schooler characters in anime. They might not like it, but they have to put up with that to keep watching anime.

Or maybe the older adult otaku are also identified with all the anime teen life situations.

WTF, they make shows with heavy ecchi every 3 seconds while the characters are still talking about who has a crush on who while denying it, while blushing!

Obsession with high school characters are not only reserved to otaku. Most Japanese live action dramas are in High school environment. I suppose that is because of nostalgia or because the obsession with been young.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
There was an Answerman column a little over a month ago about why anime is set in high schools.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
It's funny you mention Free because back when it was airing there was an argument over the Blu-ray and DVD sales, and how it was clearly a shounen aimed at men because it had way more BD sales and people got upset at the notion.

There are men that like Free just as there are men that like Sailor Moon, but that show is CLEARLY not "aimed" at men.

Also, I think people are making a mistake conflating "target market/audience" with "distribution vehicle". Simply because something runs in a shounen/shoujo/etc magazine does not mean that is the "target audience". How many companies that are NOT targeting "football fans" still run ads during the super bowl? To clarify, I would expect that anything that runs in such a magazine BEGINS with X as the target market (I want to make a short note that I think the aforementioned sports items make Shounen JUMP an EXCEPTION, I expect SJ intentionally runs at LEAST 1 "fujoshi" title all the time now) doesn't mean that the target never changes. Prince of Tennis likely BEGAN as a "sports manga targeted to boys", but it is CLEARLY targeted to WOMEN now. (the popularity poll is a valentine's chocolate submission to your favorite dude for goodness sake)

Bleach is a show with a LARGE female fanbase, as is One Piece, they are still TARGETED to boys, but go to Japan and you will see that Prince of Tennis is clearly TARGETED to women. NONE of the merchandise goes in the "male" sections of stores, none of it highlights features appealing to (hetero) boys. Just because something runs in WSJ (the single most read manga magazine in all of Japan if not the entire world) doesn't mean it is "targeted" to boys. With other magazines, that's likely true a large percentage of the time, but not with that one.

(Also, regarding demographics, I believe WSJ (and probably most others) actually DOES capture a fair bit of data with their polls (since they give away prizes and all and do a fair bit of data parsing according to Bakuman, so I imagine they have a pretty good idea who is reading their magazine at any given time)

{Edit}: I removed your imbecile comment. Leave out the rude insults when making a point. ~ Psycho 101
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
The one exception I can think of to Justin saying that "everything type of anime is on late night now, not just adult stuff" is for channels that have programming blocks that air certain types of shows. The first example that comes to mind is the Noitamina block on Fuji TV that specifically features more artsy or mature shows.

configspace wrote:
Demographics means a rough target audience that the publishers are aiming for, not who you think it should be aimed at.

I think part of the confusion depends on the title as well, as some anime/manga match up with their target audience/demographic, while others do not. There are tons of female fans of Bleach and One Piece even though both titles are still mostly marketed to guys. In fact, I remember seeing a Shonen Jump chart graphic two or three years ago that showed a 51% female readership for One Piece and a 50% one for Bleach. In that sense, One Piece and Bleach don't really match up with the intended male attendance.

Then you have series like Free! and Ghost in the Shell where the majority of their respective fanbases correlate with their target demographic. Personally, I still think demographics are useful for the same reason as you said. People should think of them as rough guidelines and not hard and fast categories.

ice_tea wrote:
Older adult otaku have to somewhat put up with all the middle/high schooler characters in anime. They might not like it, but they have to put up with that to keep watching anime.

Ironically, the opposite is true. A couple people already said it,but shows like K-On and Lucky Star are usually for older otaku. I think it's partly cultural (nostalgia for youth, cute girls, etc.) and partly financial (older otaku can spend more). What's interesting to me is the generational shift between the shows for adult otaku in 80's/90's and shows for adult otaku nowadays. It seems like a lot of the equivalent of otaku shoes back in the 80s/90s tended to be sci fi, have lots of sex and violence or a combination of two whereas otaku shows nowadays can be any type of genre.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
It's not surprising when you think about it, if you are selling a product - anime is definitely a product - then you don't really want to turn away any group. Not deliberately.

Quote:
nearly everybody has a DVR or a DVD/Blu-ray set-top recorder. (People actually bought those in Japan.)

I actually bought one of those in the early 00's, it never proved as useful as I'd hoped. I still have some DVD-R's around here that were recorded on it.

Mark Gosdin

It's funny that you said this because I can't help but think of Young Justice which CN cancelled because it was appealing to girls more than to boys who were their target demographic.

I think this article brings up some interesting points and I had no idea that most anime airs in the late hours. I also find the cultural distinction between the east and the west fascinating. Look at Code Geass - a perfect example of anime that appeals to many demographics and yet anime fans with a good eye will notice the shoujo art style with the characters. You wouldn't get something like that in the west, at least from what I've seen.

I'm guessing in the end the only anime to air in the mornings are kids anime like Dragon Ball.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5