• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses My Hero Academia Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
This is so exciting to see Funimation grabbed it... I was totally expecting Viz Media to get it...

This so going to get Simudubbed. Very Happy So excited.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
I bet money viz was trying to get this just like they did one punch man and funimation said f#ck that you might have gotten opman but you aint getting this.
Viz gets priority on all Shonen Jump titles, if they aren't producing this then that means they passed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
It would make more sense for Viz to have gotten this since they have the manga and occasionally have merchandise rights for their Shounen Jump titles.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Hm a company crying that they don't have one punch man gets this and hypes and advertises that this is one punch man without giving a ziltch of the japanese presentation of the trailers. And we can at least scratch out the .01 percent chance that a cast could be made of child actors since everyone seems to have given up on putting that type of effort since 2014.

Now lets see the translation typos and dub memes that come out of this Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Expected, given how they snatch pretty much all BONES series, but still annoying. It sure would be nice to be able to watch my most anticipated shows legally Rolling Eyes
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
What disappoints me is that now, the chances of Bakugou being voiced by Bryce Papenbrook have been slimmed down. He might still voice him if he's willing to fly to Texas.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
First time hearing about this but the trailer looked nice and as a dub fan Funimation having this title makes me even more excited! Look forward to watching this once is released on bluray Anime smile
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Mike McFarland's gonna be ADR Directing this one Wink
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I've seen people bemoaning this here and on Twitter...though I'm not sure as to why...?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
There's a few... logic flaws?... in the premise. "What if you're born one of the 20% quirkless?" Become a caped crusader? Like that Batman guy no one ever heard of?

Right from the start, I was thinking "Well, someone didn't see the Incredibles" because if everyone was super then no one would be super... but 20% without powers, that's completely different. Then I watched the trailer...

"If super is normal then anyone can become a hero." No, I'm done even before I've begun. "If the spirit is willing then anyone can become a hero." There, fixed it. Also, wasn't that Tiger and Bunny?

I didn't even like One Punch Man but at least that went the "unwilling" route.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
This is a surprise but a great surprise non the less Thank You Funimation My Hero Academia is one of my most anticipated shows this spring can't wait for the dub. Very Happy
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
There's a few... logic flaws?... in the premise. "What if you're born one of the 20% quirkless?" Become a caped crusader? Like that Batman guy no one ever heard of?

Right from the start, I was thinking "Well, someone didn't see the Incredibles" because if everyone was super then no one would be super... but 20% without powers, that's completely different. Then I watched the trailer...

"If super is normal then anyone can become a hero." No, I'm done even before I've begun. "If the spirit is willing then anyone can become a hero." There, fixed it. Also, wasn't that Tiger and Bunny?

I recommend you take a look at this site's reviews of the manga's first three volumes before you completely write off the show. They provide a much better idea of what this franchise is about than the trailer.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

This trailer, and the Japanese version slightly misadvertise what the series is about. You shouldn't write it off based on that.
Mizerous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Nakurawari wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Nakurawari wrote:
I wish Crunchyroll had gotten it, but hey, at least it'll most likely get a dub now. Also, am I the only one that despises the font Viz use for the English title? I think it looks really ugly.

"One Piece," "Fairy Tail," and "Attack on Titan" are owned by Funimation, but those are on Crunchyroll too.

What annoys me is that MHA hasn't even aired yet and it already has an English license, but it takes "Hunter x Hunter 2011" four years to even get picked up by an English distributor, but months later, still have no information about the dub or when it'll get released.

I listen to the English Shonen Jump podcast, and they literally talked about the HxH 2011 dub this week... although the bad news is that voice actors have still not been cast yet.

Damn it Viz first Sailor Moon R's delay and now this news for HXH.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I have but one thing to say:

PATRICK. SEITZ. AS. ALL-MIGHT.

Make it happen, Funi.

Would be cool. I'm thinking they'll go with Ian Sinclair though, just saying. Beyond that, I also predict Maxey Whitehead as Izuku, Clifford Chapin as Katsuki, Tia Ballard as Ochako, J. Michael Tatum as Tenya, and Micah Solusod as Shouto.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3