• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Producer: Warner's Live-Action Death Note Film Will be R-Rated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Overall opinion on this movie:

1. Adam Winberg is an accomplished director whose biggest critical failure was V/H/S (of which he only directed the first act and was still received well). This will be his first big movie, but he knows the genre and should do solid directing. Jeremy Slater as the writer is more of a toughie, since his only true screenwriting credit - The Lazarus Effect (his Fantastic Four efforts were mostly ditched by the studio, including an effort to accurately portray Dr. Doom) - was critically panned.

2. An R-rating was always in mind for me with a Death Note film. It may be published in a shonen manga and, yes, not very bloody (minus the motorcyclist's and bus hijacker's deaths, as well as the over-grisly deaths of Light and Mikami in the anime), but it's still far too complex for PG-13 audiences. This was a good choice, even if Deadpool probably had a factor in it.

3. I honestly wouldn't mind if this film was whitewashed. Of course, the only American characters are the Wammy People and the SPK, but that being said not many of the Death Note characters are that important to culture that if would be sacrilege if they were to be replaced by Americans while keeping the concept; I'd only have a problem if the Light iteration was still named "Yagami" (etc. for the other Japanese characters) when those are clearly Japanese names. However, with the exception of the shinigami and L, all of the characters are pretty grounded in reality, making them far better for live-action - of course, same can't be said about Dragon Ball...
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
A big problem I have with movies is when they aim for a rating. It ends up bogging down the experience in some way. Just do what you want to do.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I am praying this doesn't happen. Please die prematurely.

Enough, we already know that Hollywood can't do anime movies. Those stories are in anime/manga form for a reason.. because they won't work as live action.

I really rather not have to slap people in public when they say "Death Note sucks" without reading the manga or watching the anime.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
My question is, why?
Why? There's no need to hollywood this up.....why....
And Wolff as Light?.....

Please just don't continue, pleaeeeeeesse
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
With the vanilla white Neoptism Wolf playing L, I do not see this going well at all. Literally another Dragonball Evolution and we do not want that.

Same with Ghost in the Shell. I want it (and Scarlett) to be successful as well as bring more awareness to why we need women protagonists in action films (and films period) but I just can't support it if they are going to whitewash Makoto. They should just cast a Japanese actress as Makoto and then have some random white woman OC played by Scarlett, while still making Makoto the lead.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Wait until we have a trailer to start judging it, people.

Also, as far as a series about death goes, "Death Note" was PG-13 at worst. The only time the series ever got graphic was in the final episode.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
A big problem I have with movies is when they aim for a rating. It ends up bogging down the experience in some way. Just do what you want to do.

Heaven's Gate killed the premise of making movies that "you"' want to make.

wonderwomanhero wrote:

They should just cast a Japanese actress as Makoto and then have some random white woman OC played by Scarlett, while still making Makoto the lead.

The days of Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, Jet Li (and too a lesser extent a Chow Yun-Fat) are long over.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm wary about this kinda of movie.

When it comes to Death Note, I think the pacing and plotting was absolutely perfect. So much so that if anything was changed or removed, it would severely impact the whole thing.

Then there is the idea of it being an adaptation. If they try and remake the manga/anime scene by scene, while it would generate attention to the series... it would be kind of boring. Plus, if they screwed anything up, it would automatically tarnish the film.

To be honest, I think the best way to handle this is to have a fresh take on it. Completely revamp the aesthetics while keeping it's core intact.

Because too many movies try too hard to create their worlds through exposition and waste so much film time that when it's actually time for the story, they only have 30 minutes left. Take a page out of Star Wars. The audience can fill in the gaps... so just jump in.

As far as the R rating... I don't mind it. As long as they don't take it too far. From the way they described it, it seems that the concept alone is what's generating the rating, not the content. As long as there isn't more swearing than actual plot, I don't care. Make it like the Halo of the R rating. It's an M rated game, but it's fairly tame for that rating.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Makes sense.

The manga and anime had some grisly deaths.

These deaths are much more impactful in live action than they are when they're animated.

Even if deaths are off-screen, killing is a very easy thing for Light so the subject matter alone may warrant an R-Rating.

And they'll probably play up the horror aspects more in that I'd expect Ryuk and other death gods to have a more horrific presentation and less of a humorous angle.

I don't think they're necessarily aiming for an R-Rating, I just see this as them not restricting themselves. When all is said and done it could still be rated lower. But they're more working around considerations that the film could be Rated R which means they need to budget and market accordingly.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

3. I honestly wouldn't mind if this film was whitewashed. Of course, the only American characters are the Wammy People

Wammy's house is actually located in England, and since it's an orphanage it's safe to assume most if not all of the kids there are British
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I like the director but WHY Wolff?! Do they even realize that Light needs to be a good looking guy it is a big part of the character it's how he make girls help him and people to like him. Wolf is an ugly, unlikeable guy and a BAD actor.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
I like the director but WHY Wolff?! Do they even realize that Light needs to be a good looking guy it is a big part of the character it's how he make girls help him and people to like him. Wolf is an ugly, unlikeable guy and a BAD actor.

Much like Lena Dunham, the Mara sisters, and Ansel Elgort, money talks. Mommy and daddy bought his career. That's how he got some show on Nickelodeon. Money talks.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I think Death Note is the last stand to see whether anime can be adapted by hollywood successfully. If they can't pull off Death Note then it's just not meant to be. Although, I'm still holding onto hope for the Tiger & Bunny live action because they're actually working closely with the T&B creator and have a genuine interest in the story but that doesn't mean it can't turn out cheesy, with all the flashiness in that show...
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
With how dark the concept of Death Note really is and how one can get creative with deaths being written, it could definitely take the advantage of being an R-rated film very well although a part of me thinks that since Deadpool being such a big hit lately is probably their reasoning why there is a big push for R-rated films being potentially profitable.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
kpk wrote:

Much like Lena Dunham, the Mara sisters, and Ansel Elgort, money talks. Mommy and daddy bought his career. That's how he got some show on Nickelodeon. Money talks.

Nat Wolff was not that bad in Paper Towns, but my pick for Light would have been Miles Teller. He might have sucked it up in Fantastic Four, but he was amazing in Whiplash. He definitely has the acting chops to pull off Light.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5