• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's The Deal With Engrish?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suhaib Bryim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I went China in 2014, i saw a shop selling toys what i saw was mind blowing!

instead of selling normal lamborghini cars

they sell Ramborghini
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd beg to differ on the Japanese language provided in our education. Especially from what I know from my university courses. There were speaking labs, tests, written, and reading involved. I understand that some people only take one course, but if you take more than just the one course and keep at it you can speak, write, and understand basic conversational.

My friend in Japan does tell though, the English taught in her school wasn't very good. So, I can understand the comparison to a degree.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
What I've never understood about the L-R substitution thing in writing is that it's not consistent. I would think that one would always substitute R for L (unless they were sure it was L) and leave the R's alone, but that's not what happens. As far as I can tell from reading Japanese friends' writing, it's pretty random, with L's becoming R's and vice versa, about 60% of the time. I don't know if they're trying to guess which one to use and they guess right 40% of the time or what. It's like they not only hear the sounds as being the same, but that they see the letters as interchangeable.

There must be several dozen linguistics papers written about this. I wonder if I could understand them?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I've visited engrish.com almost every working day for over 10 years now. It never gets old.

I do occasionally feel a little guilty about accidental engrish- it would be quite embarrassing to have your mistakes constantly pointed out... But it's often SOOOOO FUNNY

I don't feel bad about Japanese "Cool Engrish" whatsoever... even when it is embarassngly bad (I bought the reproduction of this one), you know the point is the fact that it's "English"- who care's if it's bad English?

In recent anime, the multi-faceted "I am AHO" t-shirt in Yuru Yuri is especially hilarious AND emblematic of so much of the Engrish phenomenon. (Really, you should have used a screen capture of the shirt for the article).
1. Kyoko likes the shirt because it's in English.
2. The "smart" girls think they're putting one over on her for giving her a shirt that says "I am [an] Idiot"
3. No one, presumably not even the original writer of the joke, knows the significance of wearing a shirt that, to English speakers, says "I am A HO"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
But it's often SOOOOO FUNNY

I don't get it.
What is it supposed to be saying?
What is the purpose of the sign?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Does it really matter? It's a hilariously bad translation that got on a sign in a public bathroom.

The sign probably warns that you should not squat on the toilet. In certain areas the standard form to use a toilet is still squatting.
As an English speaker I've wondered if it is supposed to be "Don't Stand (on the toilet)" and they used the wrong word... but it's just as likely a character with multiple situational meanings was used and the wrong corresponding word was used.
Zaig

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I've visited engrish.com almost every working day for over 10 years now. It never gets old.

Thank you for posting about this site! These are hilarious.
bibotot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Japanese speaking English in anime is as bad as those miscast American and British actors playing Russians and give out ridiculously forced Russian accents in old movies.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
even 2015´s career derailing-ly expensive MGS V

Might wanna cite verifiable sources before throwing this around seeing as Kojima himself debunked this notion and no one has confirmed or explained why Kojima and his team were removed from the Phantom Pain in mid development.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
@Spastic Minnow, Touma

In areas where they still use squat toilets, people will stand on the seat of a western style toilet to go. The sign is saying don't do this.

I actually encountered this back in 1969. You know how you can check for feet before trying to open a stall door? It doesn't work if the person is standing on the seat. Embarassed Embarassed The stall doors didn't latch and I ended up looking at some guy's girlfriend (very briefly).
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
"English Speakers don't play around with their own language."

Ebonics
Myth Busted.

Actually "Ebonics" or African American Vernacular English is actually another English dialect with it's own set of rules and an old history, not just people messing around with English, check out this video that I found helpful in explaining it.

I put it on the same level as pig latin, often used as a form of code-switching to communicate with those among their group. Not debunking it's its own form, but you can't deny they had to mess with standard English to get to what it has become. Completely different direction with Engrish which is merely done as a fashion statement.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
But it's often SOOOOO FUNNY

I don't get it.
What is it supposed to be saying?
What is the purpose of the sign?

I think it's saying, "Don't step on the toilet seat to try to pop a squat. Sit the hell down."

My favourite Engrish is a sign from the first season of Gravion. ADV Films found it so nippy that they used it for one of the icons they put on their website for the series.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Question: Do Terry Bogard's lines in the KoF games count towards Engrish speaking? Or rather Blue Mary's lines?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

3. No one, presumably not even the original writer of the joke, knows the significance of wearing a shirt that, to English speakers, says "I am A HO"

namori does, believe it
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
If a Japanese gets L and R mixed up when saying foreign words, it's probably because most singers change the R to L when they sing, so it's causing further confusion. I'm clueless about the reason though. From small fry to big names, they tend to sing lyrics like sayonala, aligato, kala, etc. I don't notice this style applied in normal conversation. But granted, this stylished pronunciation only makes Engrish worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7