• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime You'd Love To See Remade

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
UNLIMITED POWER!!!

Remake Fushigi Yûgi with much better animation and less episodes.

Remake Elfen Lied with an ending that has more closure like in the manga.

Remake Majikoi by actually giving it a story. Adapt the game either as Nick suggested with Clannad or make it like Yosuga no Sora with all the arcs adapted as separate shows.

And while we're on the subject...

Remake Yosuga no Sora and this time take the story and the characters seriously.

Remake Pupa and this time make it a full TV-show rather than a series of shorts.

Remake Qwaser of Stigmata II with a second half with actual effort put into it.

Remake Free! by turning all the boys into girls Twisted Evil

Remake Sexfriend with more episodes.

And here's something special for Nick Creamer:

Remake the entire Monogatari franchise by erasing Koyomi Araragi's existence Razz
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Though I am somewhat indifferent towards it nowadays, I second the choice of Fruits Basket. Fine, familial fare it was for the most part, though offset somewhat by the rather abrupt conflict inserted into its final episodes. Much like Video Girl Ai, amongst other things, there was seemingly a directorial desire to afford a smattering of tension to what would otherwise have been a featureless finale.

As for Battle Angel, and indeed for works of a similar age, I am somewhat more reluctant. A great wealth of improvements to its austere plot certainly stand to be made, but only at the presumed cost of a wholesale update to its timely musical and visual features. With such remakes as Bubblegum Crisis and Appleseed in mind, one might fear that the simple charms of the OVA era would be muted if the source material were to be translated into the realm of digital paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm yet another person that's in agreement of wanting Phantom Wind Thief Jeanne to have a new show, if only for the reason that it never had a chance of being watched by foreign viewers due to it having never been picked up. I bet it would be a fun watch, if the anime adaptation were to include material from the manga that was omitted.

Another early anime show that I would love to see redone is Cyber Team in Akihabara. While I did enjoy the cute visuals of the starring characters and their Pata-Pi, there were a few moments where the animation had a few problems with face-morphing. Plus, the show ended on a cliffhanger. There's also the movie of CTiA, but that never made it to the U.S., presumably for the reason that the show didn't sell well.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
My go-to for seeing older anime remade always defaults to 90s OVAs that were never really given their due. Gunsmith Cats and Battle Angel Alita are two of the obvious picks, but I'd want to see a full show for Bastard!!, Weathering Continent, The Seven Cities Stories, and Please Save My Earth as well.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I kind of feel like a lot of answers I could give here -- Baccano!, His and Her Circumstances, Wandering Son, The Sacred Blacksmith, The World Is Still Beautiful, Phoenix (2004) -- are not so much a matter of wanting a remake, as wanting more of the source material adapted, where what we have is insufficient and leaves things hanging. In fact, there are enough examples of this problem that it might make a good topic for another one of these roundtables.

Last edited by invalidname on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I'd watch the heck out of a decent Gunsmith Cats reboot. As for others, let's see...

- Nausicaa. The manga goes way beyond the films and is amazing in pretty much every way. As long as it's handled competently, it would probably be an instant classic.
- Bastard!!. I don't know that this would ever happen for a variety of reasons, but it's so over-the-top that I kind of love it. The original OVAs cut some stuff from what I remember, as well as not really ending, so redoing it from the ground up would be awesome.
- Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku. Also incredibly unlikely but dammit give me a mahjong battle against Super Aryan Hitler on the moon already.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
With how amazing Madhouse's adaptation of Hunter x Hunter was, I'd love to see something similar done for Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball is one of the all time classics of shonen manga and the popularity of the animated series is only due to relying on the strengths of the original source material. In the hands of a studio other than Toei Animation, you could easily expect something truly mindblowing from the show.

Another thing a Dragon Ball remake could benefit from is the pacing. Back in the day, airing new episodes as chapters came out in Weekly Jump meant having a lot of filler. Hunter x Hunter 2011 covered 339 chapters in 148 episodes (a rate of approximately 2.3 chapters per episode) while Dragon Ball (and Dragon Ball Z) covered 519 chapters in 444 episodes (a rate of approximately 1.2 chapters per episode).

(Dragon Ball Kai admittedly resolves some of the pacing issues by taking the last 325 chapters and covering them in 159 episodes as opposed to 291, but it doesn't really fix the underlying issue of the fact that Toei Animation really aren't that good.)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Clannad had two full seasons, but my Clannad would not - it would cut the series in half and just excise characters like Fuuko and Kotomi altogether.

Aww, but I like Fuuko and Kotomi's story arcs (Kotomi is my favorite character specifically). =[

As for an anime I'd like to see remade, I want to give my vote to Dragon Drive, as the anime adaptation is complete rubbish and utterly disregards large portions of the manga. It just goes off and does its own thing (adding unnecessary characters who didn't exist at all in the manga, changing one specific dragon's personality and rushing through entire segments). Incidentally, after getting through all of Reiji's arc properly, they could continue on to the second half of the manga and finish the actual story. It would also give them a chance to draw the dragons by hand instead of relying on CG.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
As for Battle Angel, and indeed for works of a similar age, I am somewhat more reluctant. A great wealth of improvements to its austere plot certainly stand to be made, but only at the presumed cost of a wholesale update to its timely musical and visual features. With such remakes as Bubblegum Crisis and Appleseed in mind, one might fear that the simple charms of the OVA era would be muted if the source material were to be translated into the realm of digital paint.

While I understand where you're coming from on this, I can't agree with it. Mardock Scramble proved to me that you could retain the gritty ambiance of the source material and still do it quite sharply even with more recent production methods. And frankly, I was never that impressed with the original's music. In fact, the vast bulk of the musical elements to late '80s/early 90s OVAs and movies are underwhelming to me.

Merxamers wrote:
My personal choice for a remake is extremely subjective (much like JO's), but my choice is Claymore, for many reasons.

Oh, I would have been shocked if we had gotten to the second page of the Feedback thread without this one coming up.

While you do argue a case with some merit, beyond improving the fight animation I can't agree with it. Adapting beyond the end of the anime would bring in so much of the weaker content you mention that getting to the highlight moments would be a slog. Also, the content that wasn't animated makes it much, much clearer that the Claymores are being exploited (and quite ruthlessly so), just not in a sexual sense.

Fronzel wrote:
I'd like to see a new version of Claymore because I think it continually suggested far more interesting story hooks than "hit the monster with your sword" and didn't even seem to realize they were there

Enh, I thought the series actually did do a very good job with that. The anime version (better than the manga, I think) looks deeply at the way becoming a Claymore can both literally and figuratively dehumanize a person, as well as the way people can end up on a self-destructive path if they let themselves be shaped by their darker emotions. There's a lot more already-existing subtext to the series than what may be apparent at first glance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
The Outlanders OVA. The manga screams for a full TV series.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I will never understand why people would want a show or movie that was perfectly good to be remade. This is why you end up with things like a Psycho remake that feels the need to give you sound effects of Norman Bates getting off watching Marion change clothes.

Last edited by TheTsunami on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Some neat choices by the editorial team, though I'm so desperately trying to not nitpick Lauren's bit on Pet Shop of Horrors to death. I'm a bit of a stickler for getting details correctly, so seeing Lauren get the format of anime (TV, not OVA), company that license rescued the anime (Sentai, not Right Stuf), & even type of release (it just got re-released, because Sentai put it out on DVD a few years back) all incorrect just annoys me in little ways that I know shouldn't, but they do. Add to that the fact that I actually enjoyed the anime adaptation (though, admittedly, I've never read the manga), so I'm definitely a bit biased for that one.

Anyway, having gotten that out of my system, I have three choices for anime to be remade:

Saint Seiya
Considering that Seiya is becoming more & more available to people around the world, especially in English-speaking areas, it's kind of annoying that it's still hard for most to get into the original series via the TV anime. Part of that is due to licensing (as only the first 73 episodes are available legally online), but it's also due to the fact that the original anime is not the most ideal way to get into the original series. Since it debuted less than a year after the manga debuted, the first 40 episodes intersperse "filler" like crazy, most of which was pretty terrible, & almost none of it can be outright skipped because the show mixed said filler into the main story, so skipping them would make it harder to understand the plot. Seriously, there is only one truly good filler story from those early episodes (and, oddly enough, it's one of the few you can actually skip without losing a beat). Also, the pacing can be really slow at times, which goes against the general pacing Masami Kurumada stories have, i.e. fast & well paced. While the original anime is really damn good at its best, it can also be a slog to get through at times, & those earlier episodes are such a mixed bag (if it's from the manga, it's good, but if it's filler then more than likely it's terrible.

With this year being the 30th Anniversary of Saint Seiya, I know that Toei will be making a new Seiya anime, but I'm really expecting it to be the long-awaited adaptation of the sequel, Next Dimension (especially since ND will be ending this year). While I'd be cool with that, I would honestly prefer a completely redone adaptation of the original manga, one that adapts only from the manga & maintains Kurumada's faster pace. Hell, Toei could even please some of the existing fans by doing a full-on re-casting (I'm perfectly fine with the original re-cast starting from Hades Inferno, but I know I'm a minority on that).

Ashita no Joe
Considering how iconic the original manga & anime are in Japan, I guess I'm not surprised that this never got a redone anime series. Still, I'd love to see how a modern-day adaptation of Ashita no Joe (not one taking place in modern day, mind you, but rather one made using modern technology) would come out. I love the way Osamu Dezaki handled both TV series (70s & 80s), but I'd be more than open to seeing a new interpretation by another director. Also, it would be the perfect way for the story to be seen by more people, as only so many people will be willing to watch Champion Joe 2 on CrunchyRoll.

Eat-Man
With an actual sequel, Eat-Man: The Main Dish, being made right now by creator Akihito Yoshitomi & a recent BD release of the existing two anime series out now, I think this is the perfect time to make a third Eat-Man anime. Considering how episodic the manga is, it would be easy to adapt another selection of stories, ala Eat-Man '98, making for a true "best of" series; I'd love to see stuff like the Leon Arc, the Mole story, & the final chapters made into anime (plus a few single story chapters). Ideally, I'd simply want a straight adaptation of the entire manga, but I doubt that would happen in any way, so I'd be game for simply another selection of stories.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
An anime I'd love to see remade? Kadocha. It's a great simple and direct shoujo romance manga that was bloated with filler upon filler upon filler...

Karin; Keep the tone of the first five episodes which fully captured the manga and then, follow the manga. I know, I know, it's a crazy idea but it just might work.

Mahoraba. Another "just follow the manga" suggestions; His and Her Circumstances, Fruits Baskets, we all have our own picks. My first two picks are different because the first one had to do so much original material, you couldn't even see the premise even if the complete manga was all animated... eventually... and the second was started so early, they only had about 10 chapters. Mahoraba? Maybe I'm just picking out that one because it's not even licensed but it could use a animation boost. Look, I love the character designs.

Negima, just Negima. No, literally, just Negima. There's a serial anime in there somewhere, not a gag series or whatever the first anime was.

An anime original I'd like to see remade: Tenchi Muyo but spelled "Photon the Idiot Adventures" for some reason. Ok, they're both well budgeted OVAs, not to forget Tenchi Universe exists. Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040; It's time is now or the 1980s by way of the 1990s done with the tech of the 2010s.

Doing it for the art:

A single season versus of Aria done by PA Works... to be exact, the PA Works that did A Lull in the Sea. Give me widescreen colorful vistas done in modern technology. It's amazing how far the tech has gone since the mid 2000s.

The Slayers. Yeah, I'm sure this going to be done eventually but I'd like the stories from the first season reworked. Just keep the "Holy Sword of Light Appears!" music track, ok?

As for the rest, the rest. Anything to stop the next LN adaptation set in a magical school from being produced.
Anime_Rapture

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Ayashi no Ceres needs a complete revamp. The art translated so poorly to animation and all of the changes to the story were so disappointing. The show didn't do justice to the manga at all, not to mention the pathetic ending they threw onto it.

Collectonian wrote:
Another one on the forefront of my mind because I'm rewatching it now is Chrono Crusade. The anime took a pretty awesome story, ramped up the boobs and butts, threw in more sexual harassment and the spoiler[unnecessary near rape of Satella], tossed in too much random zaniness, dropped a lot of great story elements, and really reduced Aion into such a generic, bleh character where in the manga he was very nuanced and complex and hard to fully hate. The changes with Pandemonium and the Apostles also made it weaker to me. While the anime is entertaining enough, knowing how much more story there was leaves it feeling shallow and lacking Sad [/spoiler]

THIS! This is immediately what I thought of when I read the title of the piece!
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella's idea for Fate is pretty interesting. It would contradict some of what Nasu has said in interviews (none of the endings lead to Shirou becoming Archer) but it would make for a pretty interesting show if it was executed right. Too bad it's probably not going to happen since it would be really difficult to do. As is, I thing the best way to view Fate is as one story with multiple installments. The way I look at the anime adaptations is that the 2006 anime, Zero, UBW (not the movie) and Heaven's Feel are each one part of a whole story and are best looked at that way since that's the most complete version.

For me, the show I want to see remade most is Claymore since the animation looks fairly dated and the ending left me pretty unsatisfied since it didn't address the Organization subplot or mention much about Isley. The manga had it's share of flaws later on, but I'd still like to see the rest of it animated at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16