• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Emblem Fates RPG's Western Release Will Not Have 'Petting' Feature

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
leafyseadragon wrote:
Do you mean, then, that it's specific to anime, manga, and video games? (I'm not trying to make any snide comments our anything like that, but as someone who hangs around forums about older media, I'm genuinely curious. It feels weird to me to have such different attitudes about feminism at a place like ANN compared to something like IMDb or Tilt Forums.)

It's not limited to just those mediums. It's been that way for the last couple years. South Park wouldn't have done an entire season mocking politically correct culture if it was just some video game or anime thing. You generally see it in the news all the time. Whether it's complaining about police killing minorities, safe spaces at colleges, arresting people over Facebook posts, or complaining about the Oscars not having any black people being nominated, there's been a lot of backlash from both sides. I've seen people refuse to identify as feminist because due to it. Video games is just one part of it. Anyone who says it's only found in video game communities probably doesn't read the news or follow current events very much, no offense.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
First of all, regarding that claim that it actually hasn't been removed, I trust Kotaku more than a random tweet, especially since people have been making up wild BS for a while now. (Plus the tweet only said there'd been no "official announcement" and it sounded like the Kotaku source might have revealed more than they were supposed to right now.) Not to say I trust Kotaku much at all either, so I'm definitely interested to hear further confirmation.

For the sake of discussion, gonna assume it IS being removed for the rest of this post.

Kikaioh wrote:

Color me confused, but I thought it wasn't until FE:Awakening that Nintendo started catering to otaku/fujoshi, mainly because the series was floundering and on the verge of cancellation. From what I've seen it's the older hardcore fans of the series that complain about these otaku elements having been introduced in the first place (like Awakening's marriage system) because it detracts from the venerability of an otherwise solid political/tactical series. Considering FE is getting a crossover with Shin Megami Tensei, I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't consider it a kid's series anymore, and has revived the series with a hard "otaku-leaning" bent now because it's proven to be a profitable blue ocean strategy.

Kind of. I believe it was less a deliberate decision to cater to them in some regards, and more the series was probably dead so they wanted to go out with a bang and release a game that would have beloved features from past series, but also be a bit more accessible.

The effect of this, though, was that the game gained new popularity far beyond anything it had before. And yes, that means a lot of the old fans are still reeling at the "new" Fire Emblem with it's emphasis and shipping and marriage and it's newer more anime style art/etc.

Which reminds me of the reaction I saw when the face petting was first announced. From what I saw, the reaction was... not pleasant.

"Fire Emblem is dead to me now" seemed to about sum it up. There were massive rants about how Nintendo had betrayed their fans and destroyed the series, that it was nothing but otaku crap, that it was just a dating sim now, that it might as well be a hentai game. Waifu Emblem was a common phrase thrown around.

There were countless posts outright begging NoA/NoE to remove the face petting in the English versions, and people saying that unless it got removed, they'd boycott the game.

And this wasn't just from the old school fans even. People who only got into it after Awakening, or who at least really enjoyed Awakening (including the marriage/shipping aspect) were still pissed off at the face petting. They found it odd, out of place, and downright creepy. I have never in my life ever seen a Fire Emblem feature so universally derided (by the English speaking fandom) when it was announced.

Now, of course, not everyone hated it. Some were just "meh" about it. Others found it hilarious (though sometimes through schadenfreude.) And some actually generally did look forward to it. But man, it was not a popular feature.

While everything I say above is just my anecdotal experience, I do think it's a point worth considering. People are ranting now about how NoA is treating it's customers like kids, or just censor happy for no reason. I don't think that's the case. I think they simply judged that the face petting would be extremely off-putting and potentially disturbing to a large portion of the fanbase in the US, even the fans who love the marriage aspect. And so they decided to axe it.

Was it the right decision? No idea. I'd have been perfectly fine for them to have left it in. But I can at least see their reasoning for this, unlike some of their past silly decisions like covering up Tharja's butt.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, what puzzles me is why it's specific to certain media but not others.

Was this directed at me? I kinda think I elaborated on why this is in my last post already. Although I should add that at the end of the day, it really isn't specific to certain mediums. For pretty much any medium there are plenty of angry nerds who are outraged at all things progressive. (Just look at the recent angst over Star Wars). It's just more pronounced in gaming because of the things I mentioned in my last post. Or perhaps you're referring to why it is also so pronounced in anime here. If that's the case, I think probably the single biggest reason is just that there's an overwhelming crossover between gamers (especially of the sort that rage about feminism) and anime fans. Although, I think also some of the things that are true of gaming are true of anime fans as well. Anime is a Japanese product and, as much as fans like to insist otherwise, Japan is actually not very progressive when it comes to gender issues. Hence, you still see a lot of stuff that really doesn't fly anymore elsewhere. Also, because anime is a very niche product in the west, it really hasn't traditionally been subject to the kind of cultural critique that other media gets. It's probably not as bad as gaming, but definitely this can translate to the same kind of person who is really invested in a very regressive status quo and freaks out at even the softest of feminist criticism.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:28 am Reply with quote
wrote:
I didn't make a list, I was just commenting on the games that ikillchicken had already mentioned. And I'm surprised you think those games are obscure titles, since they're critical darlings and have been reviewed and discussed fervently in the gaming community over the past few months (next you're going to tell me that you've never heard of FNAF). These games aren't AAA titles sure, but indie gaming has become a big scene in recent years, and I think anyone who has a pulse on Western gaming should have heard of those titles by now, so it makes me wonder how unfamiliar with the Western gaming community otaku actually might be.

So you've only ever played SNES RPGs? If you go back to the early 90's, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest had a number of entries visually similar to Undertale. And for a SNES fan, I'm surprised you don't appreciate Undertale's spiritual similarities to games like Earthbound and the Mother series. FWIW, Undertale is critically acclaimed for how it refreshingly turns traditional RPG mechanics/conventions on their head, in inventive, amusing and sometimes moving ways (it sounds like you have only a vague familiarity with the game if you're bizarrely criticizing it for not having skills or magic).

I don't really care about what critics say or value their opinions. Maybe those that hang on their every word might be in the know but I'm willing to bet if you go up to any bro gamer in Gamestop, they wont know what most of those games are.

I compared Undertale to SNES era because it's clearly emulating a 16-bit style. And I criticized it as an RPG because you said it's 'more JRPG than JRPGs are these days' so I explained why I disagree on it being like games from the 90s. Now you're saying it's not supposed to be judged as an RPG? I'm confused.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
The effect of this, though, was that the game gained new popularity far beyond anything it had before. And yes, that means a lot of the old fans are still reeling at the "new" Fire Emblem with it's emphasis and shipping and marriage and it's newer more anime style art/etc.

Fire Emblem has always had anime art. It's just in the 90s it had 90s anime art like Phantasy Star and Shining Force. That complaint seems one born in ignorance.

I personally love the introduction of marriage and children, and so do all the people that love experimentating for the optimal builds for children. Which stat growths pass down to make the optimal parents, optimal skill heritage, etcetera. It's an entirely new and creative way to play the game.

ikillchicken wrote:
Anime is a Japanese product and, as much as fans like to insist otherwise, Japan is actually not very progressive when it comes to gender issues

That's a pretty subjective claim to make. All the women in my circle don't really watch American cartoons or play American games because of the lack of females in them, something Japan has no issue with yet I see people complain about in cartoons, comics, and western games all the time. It's not that surprising though. There's a lot more women in those industries than in the west.

-Stuart Smith
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Mad_Scientist wrote:

Fire Emblem has always had anime art. It's just in the 90s it had 90s anime art like Phantasy Star and Shining Force. That complaint seems one born in ignorance.

Poor choice of words on my part, but there was a notable change in style (one of several over the series course) in Awakening, and some dislike it.

(I personally find it fine, though a few of the outfits are a bit silly.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
It's not limited to just those mediums. It's been that way for the last couple years. South Park wouldn't have done an entire season mocking politically correct culture if it was just some video game or anime thing. You generally see it in the news all the time. Whether it's complaining about police killing minorities, safe spaces at colleges, arresting people over Facebook posts, or complaining about the Oscars not having any black people being nominated, there's been a lot of backlash from both sides. I've seen people refuse to identify as feminist because due to it. Video games is just one part of it. Anyone who says it's only found in video game communities probably doesn't read the news or follow current events very much, no offense.

Do you think so? Maybe it's a combination of me following some older media whose discussion groups consist of older people and me living in an area that's been politically left for as long as I can remember. I've never lived anywhere but the West Coast, most of which ranges from fairly liberal to very liberal. As a result, I'm used to people proudly and openly calling themselves feminists, men and women alike, so it's jarring to see it take on a negative connotation.

ikillchicken wrote:
Was this directed at me? I kinda think I elaborated on why this is in my last post already. Although I should add that at the end of the day, it really isn't specific to certain mediums. For pretty much any medium there are plenty of angry nerds who are outraged at all things progressive. (Just look at the recent angst over Star Wars). It's just more pronounced in gaming because of the things I mentioned in my last post. Or perhaps you're referring to why it is also so pronounced in anime here. If that's the case, I think probably the single biggest reason is just that there's an overwhelming crossover between gamers (especially of the sort that rage about feminism) and anime fans. Although, I think also some of the things that are true of gaming are true of anime fans as well. Anime is a Japanese product and, as much as fans like to insist otherwise, Japan is actually not very progressive when it comes to gender issues. Hence, you still see a lot of stuff that really doesn't fly anymore elsewhere. Also, because anime is a very niche product in the west, it really hasn't traditionally been subject to the kind of cultural critique that other media gets. It's probably not as bad as gaming, but definitely this can translate to the same kind of person who is really invested in a very regressive status quo and freaks out at even the softest of feminist criticism.

No, you posted that comment as I was posting mine. I apologize about it. My mistake. But thanks for the detailed and direct answer.

It's something I had been wondering for some time and never really got straight answers for, and I've asked people on both sides, both pro-feminists and anti-feminists, as I want a clear picture of what's happening. But that there are so few direct answers leads me to believe most people who have taken on this issue don't really know how it got started or how it grew.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
Considering how liberal the USA has gotten and how USA-made video games can get away with controversial stuff, I find this to be a little hypocritical. Nintendo might have been better not releasing this game here at all.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
For pretty much any medium there are plenty of angry nerds who are outraged at all things progressive.
People are angry at video game censorship.

Is censorship a progressive value? Seems rather regressive to me.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Fine I get that you don't like moe/otaku pandering shi*. What about those that do? Are you going to say tough shi*and just get over it? That's a very cynical way of looking at things In my opinion. I'm getting sick and tired of NoA deciding what's okay for me to play.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to react or feel about this news. I'm mostly giving my own feelings on it, as well as responding to posts that are directed towards me on points surrounding the removal. And I think NoA is thinking more about making a profit in the West, than trying to decide what's good for you.

Chrysostomus wrote:
So because you don't like otaku-pandering content, you have no problem with Nintendo censoring stuff so that the ones who do like it can't enjoy it?

Imagine if this was about Nintendo removing the same-sex marriage feature, and I could easily use the "A lot of people don't like same-sex marriage... This was a business decision by Nintendo, this kind of outrage is unwarranted" argument.

You would be singing such a different tune if that were the case, even though it could have happened for the exact same reasons.

They're just changing the product to suit their target-audience. During the development process they likely made thousands of changes towards that end as well --- the difference here is that the changes are coming after the game had already released in Japan. Whether I like their choice to include/exclude certain types of content in the end product depends on my feelings towards said content, so if they remove content I find dislikable of course I would support it, just as much as I wouldn't support it if they included content I find dislikable (like the marriage system in Awakening).

Also, it's kind of funny you bring up the point about same-sex marriage, since the opposite of what you mentioned happened with Nintendo, when they wound up apologizing back in 2014 for not including a same-sex marriage mechanic in Tomodachi Life. Sometimes people complain just as much about things that aren't in a game as they do things that are taken away, so I think for me really it's more about my personal feelings on the end product at the end of the day.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Were those old-school strategy RPG fans once large in number? I'm actually wondering about the popularity of Fire Emblem over the years, as there had to have been a large chunk of them when the series first came out to keep going until Awakening.

I'm not too sure about the situation back in the 90's, since the series didn't actually come stateside until Marth and Roy were popularized back in Smash Bros. Melee. That said, the series supposedly was on the verge of cancellation due to poor sales following Radiant Dawn on the Wii, which prompted a number of changes for Awakening's release, so I imagine either the old-school audience had dwindled some over the years, or the existing fanbase wasn't enough to continue supporting the series.

Stuart Smith wrote:
I don't really care about what critics say or value their opinions. Maybe those that hang on their every word might be in the know but I'm willing to bet if you go up to any bro gamer in Gamestop, they wont know what most of those games are.

I compared Undertale to SNES era because it's clearly emulating a 16-bit style. And I criticized it as an RPG because you said it's 'more JRPG than JRPGs are these days' so I explained why I disagree on it being like games from the 90s. Now you're saying it's not supposed to be judged as an RPG? I'm confused.

Actually, I think most people compare Undertale to the NES era 8-bit graphical styles, or even DOS-based games due to the flat colors and lack of gradients/shading. And again, part of Undertale's appeal is how it turns traditional RPG conventions on their head in inventive and interesting ways, so while it doesn't exactly retain the same gameplay mechanics as older RPGs, it's inherently based in them insofar as defying your expectations as to how you should play the game. To be clear, you wouldn't normally criticize Undertale for not having a party/skills/magic system, because that misses the point of how Undertale is supposed to be played. Its quirky sense of humor and charming characters are also a large part of why the game feels like a 90's RPG, especially when compared to Earthbound. In any case, if you haven't played the Mother series or Undertale, and don't pay much attention to critical commentary on the game, then it seems you only have a superficial understanding of it, in which case I can only either recommend playing it, or at least not dismissing it when you seem to have the wrong impression about it.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:26 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
That's a question I ask myself a lot. It's sort of a long story but the short-ish version I would say is this: Videogames are a wonderful medium but at the same time, as a very young medium and one marketed at least historically at mostly puberty age boys, videogames sorta became a last refuge for a lot of the really regressive, sexist crap that other mediums have at least started to move away from. At the same time, gaming also appeals most heavily to a certain type of person seeking escapism and power fantasy. There's nothing wrong with that in healthy doses but for certain people, this give rise to a tendency to massively internalize games as part of their identity and thus a part of themselves rather than an external creation. Actually, that's a problem with nerds and media in general but it is especially pronounced among gamers. Add to that years of games actually being unduly criticized and attemptedly censored (in the true sense) on the basis of flimsy information and preconceptions about them being children's toys by idiots who couldn't tell a controller from a console, and you had a powder keg.

Then someone lit a match. Well, not really. All that happened was that games started to grow up just a tiny bit. Some players started to apply really just the same basic critical scrutiny that every other medium gets (like basic feminist critique for instance). That really didn't go over well with the kind of gamers I mentioned earlier though. These people lashed out at anyone at all critical of any aspect of games and have basically just been a giant, insufferable ball of self-perpetuating hate ever since. As they've gotten more and more desperate the narrative has become increasingly absurd. The worst ones now basically live in a bubble of protective delusion where all criticism is censorship, all critics are not real gamers, criticisms of sexism are criticisms of sex, basic decency is "political correctness", and all progressive positions are "an agenda" while affirmations of the status quo are "unbiased". (It has dovetailed quite effectively with modern right wing rhetoric in this regard). Of course, that makes feminists a bunch of evil fascist invaders who want to destroy gaming and take it away from "real gamers".

It's sad really. A lot of the same people who likely spent years arguing that games weren't just kids toys and should be treated like a serious medium. Now that they are, they're mad. It's not really surprising though. This is what happens when you have a bunch of people who think "gamer" is their identity, let them stew in a bunch of regressive bullshit until they think that's the norm, and subject them to years of living straw men until they're paranoid and clueless about what real criticism is.
I do wonder how you reconcile the fact that, were video games sexist, how is it possible that the percentage of female gamers only seems to be increasing, with your {Personal insults are not allowed. Please temper your language. Thank you. ~nobahn} scenario of games being hotbeds of misogyny.

Video games do not make anyone sexist, or make them "internalize" any sexist attitudes. Jack Thompson argued the same in the 90's, but with violence instead of sexism. His arguments held absolutely no water and neither do yours. There is simply no proof that video games make someone more violent or more misogynistic. I would argue that the bigotry comes from you with your sweeping generalizations of male gamers as backwards neanderthals.

In time, people will look back and condemn your retrograde moral authoritarianism the same way we do with old Jack.
Rensie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I think you have one thing right --- they're changing the game in order to make more money, either as part of maintaining their brand image in the West, or appealing to a Western fan base that finds things like "petting" other characters as creepy/weird.

I strongly doubt that the old western fan base of the saga want censorship to appealing their tastes, NoA never make a poll to taste the demand, moreover the minigame is optional and not mandatory, is just content you can or not play. But everyone should have the choice to decide themselfes, removing content is not a solution.

Quote:
Personally, I boycott games that have moe/otaku pandering in them.

And i'm ok with this, you choose not to buy it like i can choose not to support it if they remove content and censor the game.

Quote:
Nintendo has to ask themselves whether Western otaku are worth catering to compared to the mainstream gamer demographic,

The mainstream demographic isn't a factor because the FE saga is a niche for a niche fan base. They completely fail to please the right playerbase in the hope to make more money, and trying to please both crowds with stupid compromises will make both unhappy.

Quote:
And you just said that pet girls and monsters are the same thing, so long as they're pixels. That's pretty incredible.

Unless you consider polygobns and textures real people with human rights, an ID, and an age, in a 3,5 inches lcd, then yes, otherwise i can doubt your sanity if you think otherwise.

Hopefully enought people will boycott this crappy localization so the next time they will think twice what crowd please, and i'm also fine if they completely remove the western release of the sage from now on, i'm ok with fanmade translations (like i'm ok with fansubs), because fanmade translations are made with passions and not with compromises to milk more money possible.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
No, you posted that comment as I was posting mine. I apologize about it. My mistake. But thanks for the detailed and direct answer.

No problem at all. Happy to help.

Stuart Smith wrote:
That's a pretty subjective claim to make. All the women in my circle don't really watch American cartoons or play American games because of the lack of females in them, something Japan has no issue with yet I see people complain about in cartoons, comics, and western games all the time. It's not that surprising though. There's a lot more women in those industries than in the west.

I think you might be a little confused about what "subjective" means. Also, I'm not at all sure if that last thing is true. There is something to the rest of what you're saying here though. Japanese media has never really had a problem in terms of the sheer quantity of female characters. Arguably the main reason for this however (which isn't particularly commendable) is simply that male Japanese fans actually tend to prefer characters of the opposite gender (whereas the reverse tends to be true of westerners). As a result you do see more female characters, but not ones that are in any way progressive. See for example: Most ecchi or harem shows. Thus in this regard, Japan doesn't really fare better than the west. They just have a different version of the problem.

There is a second reason Japanese media tends to feature more women though which is more legitimately positive at least in part. Japanese media actually is very good at appealing to women as well as men. Or perhaps I should say, Japanese media is very good at appealing to either men or women. See, a major thing you have to understand about Japanese media is that it tends to be very gender focused. In a lot of ways that's one of its strengths. This has allowed a lot of material, the kind that is unequivocally aimed at women and women alone, to flourish. That in turn is a big reason why Japanese media has found such a significant female audience. Of course, the downside is that a lot of Japanese media also tends to be unequivocally aimed at men and men alone. And while there's nothing inherently wrong with that in principle, in practice this has given rise to some astoundingly sexist trash. That's what I'm thinking of first and foremost with what I was saying to leafy sea dragon.

Mind you, I don't mean to say this is a problem confined entirely to male oriented media. Sadly, the fact that a show is aimed at women is no guarantee that it is particularly gender progressive either. A lot of female fans (especially those out of their teens) will tell you the same in my experience. They love Japanese media but at the same time recognize that it can be disappointingly regressive when it comes to gender. Of course, so can western media. I don't deny that for a second. Really though, that's the thing. As a guy it is easy to think "If this is so sexist why do women like it?" That question belies a fairly naive view though. The unfortunate reality is that women don't really have the luxury of dismissing any media with sexist elements. If they did they'd have very little left.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Or perhaps I should say, Japanese media is very good at appealing to either men or women. See, a major thing you have to understand about Japanese media is that it tends to be very gender focused. In a lot of ways that's one of its strengths. This has allowed a lot of material, the kind that is unequivocally aimed at women and women alone, to flourish. That in turn is a big reason why Japanese media has found such a significant female audience. Of course, the downside is that a lot of Japanese media also tends to be unequivocally aimed at men and men alone. And while there's nothing inherently wrong with that in principle, in practice this has given rise to some astoundingly sexist trash.
If leafy sea dragon had no idea as to why more and more people want nothing to do with feminism this is reason #1. This doublethink that female-oriented media is okay, while male-oriented ones are unequivocal breeding grounds for sexism and wife beaters.

ikillchicken wrote:
The unfortunate reality is that women don't really have the luxury of dismissing any media with sexist elements. If they did they'd have very little left.
Reason #2: EVERYTHING is sexist, everything is tainted with misogyny.
Desa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
It used to be you just had to stand on an adjacent tile to whomever you wanted to create a support with and start spamming your turns and after 4 battles you got your S-Rank support boosts.

I love making 3 or 4-man support teams where each character supports 1-2 others in the group. Once the supports are maxed each group became damn near untouchable. Even Hard difficulty became too easy.

As long as they didn't nerf support boosts, lack of face petting is trivial. My biggest aggravation is how they split up the game and charge you more if you want to complete all routes with this DLC nonsense. I really hope this is not a trend and that future Fire Emblems will be a complete package that you pay for once and play the WHOLE thing.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:

You really don't know how wrong you are...

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic if those extra periods at the end didn't make it clear enough.

Kikaioh wrote:

So you've only ever played SNES RPGs? If you go back to the early 90's, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest had a number of entries visually similar to Undertale. And for a SNES fan, I'm surprised you don't appreciate Undertale's spiritual similarities to games like Earthbound and the Mother series.

Not everybody is big on regressively designed indie games nor did everyone who had a SNES bother with Earthbound.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

There's also the fact that Splatoon managed to get the inversion of the normal audience for shooters:

This is somewhat of an over-exaggerated stereotype while COD does have players who are under the age of 15 the majority of it's player base is within and above the "supposed" demographic of these games.

Torrin wrote:
It's pretty sick that they can't handle anyone playing games they personally don't like.

No more sick then people insisting that any change made to a video game's content is because of a fictional group of people who don't exist and don't actually have the power to change or effect anything.....oh and these same people who also think it's okay to threaten or doxx certain people for having certain opinions.

Mad_Scientist wrote:

While everything I say above is just my anecdotal experience, I do think it's a point worth considering.

Not really given the whiny somewhat laughable stances those fans take. If you need to excessively complain about a video game series you like supposedly being ruined because of the addition of harmless/optional mechanics or features or even boycott it for that reason. You're doing nothing but acting like entitled brat.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Was it the right decision?

Pragmatically from my point of view? no it wasn't. And it's just another questionable decision on top of the ones that Nintendo's has made over the years for no logical reason to unintentionally spite their western fanbase and make people look at them with confusion and scorn.

residentgrigo wrote:

I also asked a core gamer friend what he though about the changes in localization for IF. His favorite game is Warcraft 3 and he then asked me back what a Fire Emblem is! Lol.

Maybe that question would've been better served being asked of someone whose favorite game isn't a somewhat irrelevant MMORPG on the PC, whose subscriber numbers have been shrinking over the last few years, and has actually played other games of various genres across other platforms besides the PC including Fire Emblem. Your friend's comment tells me nothing besides he's never played FE for one reason or the next.

residentgrigo wrote:

I wonder what would have happened if ANN reported on the removed hostess content in Yakuza 3

I'd assume people would complain as roundly as everyone everywhere else did.....but that would require Yakuza to have a significant fanbase around ANN which it doesn't seem to have.

residentgrigo wrote:

but adding erotic mini-games and homophobic date rape in a hardcore turn based RPG makes about as much sense as putting prostitutes into Dark Souls 3...

I didn't know that the addition of optional mechanic or feature into a video game had to make sense within the context or genre of a game especially in world where people use magic, turn into dragons, time travel, or live for 1000's of years.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10